Author Topic: Dispute CC Charges  (Read 5299 times)

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Dispute CC Charges
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
searched for a while didnt find any thread on this sorry if there is any

Whats the latest day (if there is any time frame) to dispute a charge on a credit card
is there any difference between banks

i am talking about a Business platinum card that i want to dispute a charge is the 90 days after the charge some point or i can dispute longer

Thanks

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
Re: Dispute CC Charges
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »

Whats the latest day (if there is any time frame) to dispute a charge on a credit card

i am talking about a Business platinum card that i want to dispute a charge is the 90 days after the charge some point or i can dispute longer

Thanks
Call the number on the back of your card

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »

Thanks

Online IME it won't let you do it past 60 days, but iv'e done later over the phone.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
I think it's time for a dispute master thread.

I'm seeing more and more things like this over here:

I once lost a dispute with Pottery Barn over a $100 item purchased with an Amex card. I returned the item and got a confirmation that the item has been returned and that the money was refunded to my card, but it never got refunded. After I couldn't get anywhere with their customer service I chose to dispute. They then told Amex that they sent out a gift card for the return. (I never received that gift card). They showed Amex some transactional receipts etc. and Amex ruled in their favor and closed the case. I reopened the case and lost again. This was an eye opener to me as I rarely dispute transactions and I have always heard that "Amex sides with the customer".

I think that many times disputes work because the merchants don't fight back. Once they fight back the dynamic changes entirely.

And I too was burned with a dispute that I assumed was a sure win and thought "Amex sides with the customer"  :-\

If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »

Thanks

Billing dispute depends by the bank, fraud dispute has no time limit afaik, although you'll need a good reason as to why you waited so long.

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »
I recently made a purchase on a website where it was final sale and no returns. I bought it on a chase ink unlimited. WHen the item arrived the color of it is completely different than what it was showing on the website. I emailed customer service of that website and they said they are sorry but it is final sale and cannot do anything. My question is, do I have some sort of protection with the credit card I used? Secondly, would I be able to dispute this and win by saying that it was an inaccurate website description?

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 12:30:45 AM »
I recently made a purchase on a website where it was final sale and no returns. I bought it on a chase ink unlimited. WHen the item arrived the color of it is completely different than what it was showing on the website. I emailed customer service of that website and they said they are sorry but it is final sale and cannot do anything. My question is, do I have some sort of protection with the credit card I used? Secondly, would I be able to dispute this and win by saying that it was an inaccurate website description?
Dispute should work.

You ordered and paid for blue. Company sent red. They don’t want to send blue, or refund / exchange for you.
You should not be forced to pay for the thing you didn’t order.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »
I recently moved and had a negative experience. The guy charged by the hour and they were dishonest about their time (i.e came at 9:20 charged from 9, wrote the bill at 12:40, billed till 1. Plus 1-2 workers were walking in circles.....all this at $190/hr). Additionally items were damaged- fairly significant damages. I charged it to my AMEX Bonvoy card. What's best route to take here? I guess I can dispute charges for their dishonest times. Will AMEX cover the damages at all? TIA!

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 05:29:32 PM »
I recently moved and had a negative experience. The guy charged by the hour and they were dishonest about their time (i.e came at 9:20 charged from 9, wrote the bill at 12:40, billed till 1. Plus 1-2 workers were walking in circles.....all this at $190/hr). Additionally items were damaged- fairly significant damages. I charged it to my AMEX Bonvoy card. What's best route to take here? I guess I can dispute charges for their dishonest times. Will AMEX cover the damages at all? TIA!
Did you try getting them to give you an accurate invoice before you paid?
Did you mention the damages at all to the movers before you paid / they left? Company didn’t have insurance?

I had an issue once with movers who broke a cheap Ikea bookcase during a move and they agreed to deduct the cost of the bookcase from my total.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 05:39:33 PM »
Did you try getting them to give you an accurate invoice before you paid?
Did you mention the damages at all to the movers before you paid / they left? Company didn’t have insurance?

I had an issue once with movers who broke a cheap Ikea bookcase during a move and they agreed to deduct the cost of the bookcase from my total.

The move was done in two phases- my home was not fully ready. I needed them to come back..... As such, I said something but did not put up a fuss about the 20 minutes discrepancy in the first phase. I signed the invoice and paid the bill. In the first phase, aside from coming 9:20 billing from 9 they worked diligently.

The 2nd phase, there was alot of dead time. I tried discussing the time issues with the supervisor but ultimately signed the invoice under pressure. They also lost bolts to a bed so I still needed them to come back for that! AFTER they left I discovered the damages. I called the owner and discussed the damages as well as the time issues. He dismissed my claims and gave me a rough time about the damages. They do have insurance. There is a $500 deductible though I did not know about (hidden in fine print).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 06:32:34 PM by Dovdovmoneytree »

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »

Can anyone help with this? I figured with AMEX superior support for CC disputes, I should have an easy time disputing a portion of the charge.
Is this in the right thread?? Not getting much traction here....

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 04:44:52 PM »
Can anyone help with this? I figured with AMEX superior support for CC disputes, I should have an easy time disputing a portion of the charge.
Is this in the right thread?? Not getting much traction here....
I have no idea but you signed the invoice and freely paid the bill. I don't understand how you can dispute the charge with the credit card company when you knowingly paid the bill after agreeing to the charge.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 04:56:25 PM »
I have no idea but you signed the invoice and freely paid the bill. I don't understand how you can dispute the charge with the credit card company when you knowingly paid the bill after agreeing to the charge.

Yes in retrospect; I should've stood strong and told them I won't sign until they adjust the invoice.
I paid it because I needed them to still come back out and honestly, because I wasn't in the right frame of mind after an extremely tiring move (as many are after a move) with these guys bullying me and acting all tough rushing to go. I figured I would explain that to AMEX? Plus the damages were not seen until after they left upon checking well. But the dispute is primarily on the time discrepancies.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »
Any downside to just go ahead and dispute it?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »
Yes in retrospect; I should've stood strong and told them I won't sign until they adjust the invoice.
I paid it because I needed them to still come back out and honestly, because I wasn't in the right frame of mind after an extremely tiring move (as many are after a move) with these guys bullying me and acting all tough rushing to go. I figured I would explain that to AMEX? Plus the damages were not seen until after they left upon checking well. But the dispute is primarily on the time discrepancies.
I'm not being critical as I totally understand how tiring and draining a move can be. I'm just saying how I think Amex will view it. But you can always try. The worst thing that happens is you lose, unless you still need to do business with the moving company. But if the moving company responds to Amex and they show them the signed contract with the fees, I don't see how you'll win.

In my experience, Amex doesn't actually side with the customer if the business actually responds to the dispute. I lost a dispute on my prepayment for a bus to take people to Manhattan for my daughter's bat mitzvah that was supposed to happen in May 2020. Obviously we couldn't use the bus and bus company couldn't provide the bus in May of 2020. The bus company showed a contract which said no refunds and that was the end of my dispute. Despite Covid being a force majeure event, they didn't really care. The rep from Amex told me that they try to avoid taking any side and are really just there acting as a middleman for the dispute.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 05:06:01 PM »
Any downside to just go ahead and dispute it?

Not that I know of. May get an angry call but I could care less at this point. He's not even responding regarding repairing the damaged items.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 05:14:29 PM »
I'm not being critical as I totally understand how tiring and draining a move can be. I'm just saying how I think Amex will view it. But you can always try. The worst thing that happens is you lose, unless you still need to do business with the moving company. But if the moving company responds to Amex and they show them the signed contract with the fees, I don't see how you'll win.

In my experience, Amex doesn't actually side with the customer if the business actually responds to the dispute. I lost a dispute on my prepayment for a bus to take people to Manhattan for my daughter's bat mitzvah that was supposed to happen in May 2020. Obviously we couldn't use the bus and bus company couldn't provide the bus in May of 2020. The bus company showed a contract which said no refunds and that was the end of my dispute. Despite Covid being a force majeure event, they didn't really care. The rep from Amex told me that they try to avoid taking any side and are really just there acting as a middleman for the dispute.

Got it. Yeah, this was a particularly tough move for various reasons. Very stressful, tiring. I was out of state and had to come back just for the move.......

Interesting they won even though they could not provide the bus themselves. Although, you were just one of countless such claims back then so this was all the work they had to do all day ::) And I guess "no refunds" still means no refunds. Thanks for your input

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 09:55:38 PM »

Plus the damages were not seen until after they left upon checking well.

This is probably the most solid grounds, unless the co tract said something about this.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 10:08:12 PM »

This is probably the most solid grounds, unless the co tract said something about this.

I can dispute the moving charge for damages to items? The charge is for the service of moving, which they did- albeit, dishonestly.... They do technically have insurance, although the guy is ignoring me, not addressing it. It also has a $500 deductible. My guess is the repairs are less than that but I am not sure.

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 10:21:40 PM »
Not sure.
I just meant that it was the only aspect that probably wasn't clear that you "agreed" to