Author Topic: PSA: New scam affecting Crown Heightsers.  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
PSA: New scam affecting Crown Heightsers.
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
If you are listed in the Tzach List this may affect you:

http://crownheights.info/crime/470878/ploy-to-dupe-kind-hearted-crown-heightsers/

Offline Tankchucker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: New scam affecting Crown Heightsers.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:45:59 PM »
If you are listed in the Tzach List this may affect you:

http://crownheights.info/crime/470878/ploy-to-dupe-kind-hearted-crown-heightsers/
Do you know how he asks for payment to be received? It's not mentioned in the article.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:33:06 PM »
Do you know how he asks for payment to be received? It's not mentioned in the article.
The person I know didn't get that far...

Offline Tankchucker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »
The person I know didn't get that far...
I usually play along when I get a weird call till I know what the scam is and then hang up before giving them any info, for some reason I enjoy it.

There is a special place in he'll for these people that take advantage of frum yidden just because we have hearts, like that famous frum looking guy that always has his car impounded erev shabbos and "borrows" money from frum yidden because he knows that they have hearts, (is there a thread dedicated to him?)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »
I usually play along when I get a weird call till I know what the scam is and then hang up before giving them any info, for some reason I enjoy it.

Yeah I do that too, enjoy taking them for a ride. I rationalize it by convincing myself that I'm doing the world a favor, as long as they are busy with me they can't get on to deal with some poor gullible soul 8)

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
Yeah I do that too, enjoy taking them for a ride. I rationalize it by convincing myself that I'm doing the world a favor, as long as they are busy with me they can't get on to deal with some poor gullible soul 8)
A cousin of mine once took three guys on a long ride kept telling them he's sending the money, they kept calling him and he kept saying i sent it dont know why u didn't get it etc....

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »
Whenever one of these scammers would call, my grandmother would always say "let me give the phone to my brother, Chief -------, he's here now". They would always hang right up. ;D

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »
A cousin of mine once took three guys on a long ride kept telling them he's sending the money, they kept calling him and he kept saying i sent it dont know why u didn't get it etc....
I recently took one of these email "Russian girls" for a ride. It usually goes until they ask me for money for a Visa to my country (ever notice that they never say they need a visa to the US or wherever it's always to "your country". until I realized they don't even know which country I'm from...). When they realize no money is coming they give up.

This one was more resourceful and said she understood I can't give her money so she told me how she sold her fur coat to secure a visa interview. I was curious how THIS would end and sure enough it came a few emails later when she said she has a visa and now needs a ticket but tickets from LUD to JFK are 1000 USD and she only has 600 so could I please send her just 400 plus some pocket change to buy food for the way because everything here is so expensive...

I decided to do her a favor and put my DDF skills to use. I didn't have to look to far, a simple Kayak search found tickets for the exact dates she mentioned for $372. I sent her the link to the ticket and told her she now has enough money with pocket change to spare. I never heard from her again, I've been waiting at the arrivals terminal in JFK ever since... :'(

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »
I recently took one of these email "Russian girls" for a ride. It usually goes until they ask me for money for a Visa to my country (ever notice that they never say they need a visa to the US or wherever it's always to "your country". until I realized they don't even know which country I'm from...). When they realize no money is coming they give up.

This one was more resourceful and said she understood I can't give her money so she told me how she sold her fur coat to secure a visa interview. I was curious how THIS would end and sure enough it came a few emails later when she said she has a visa and now needs a ticket but tickets from LUD to JFK are 1000 USD and she only has 600 so could I please send her just 400 plus some pocket change to buy food for the way because everything here is so expensive...

I decided to do her a favor and put my DDF skills to use. I didn't have to look to far, a simple Kayak search found tickets for the exact dates she mentioned for $372. I sent her the link to the ticket and told her she now has enough money with pocket change to spare. I never heard from her again, I've been waiting at the arrivals terminal in JFK ever since... :'(
ALOL