Topic Wiki

What do you do?  Let $2 report on a single credit card.  All of your other cards should report $0, which means you must pay them to $0 before the statements close.

Why $2?  Because you want the lowest amount possible to report that is greater than $0.  $2 is the most reliable number to use that will generally report and not be credited to $0.

Does this work with any cards? Do not do this with Chase, Discover or charge cards.  Chase often updates mid cycle if you pay a balance to $0, leaving you with nothing reporting.  If you want to use Discover, you need to use $3 because they will credit $2 to $0.  Charge cards are counted much differently for utilization, and it varies by scoring model.

But MyFico and CreditKarma say that my utilization is 0%.  Credit Karma is a FAKO, and although even MF will give you this number as a percentage, it is calculated as a ratio by FICO.  $2 counts as usage.

What is the goal of the $2 trick?
  The goal is to get the most points possible out of FICO for the utilization portion of your scores AND to maintain it all the time.  The "all the time" part is the reason you don't use Chase cards.

More Detailed Explanation At CreditBoards

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=544017

$2 Trick Will Not Work With A Charge Card https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=557648

Author Topic: $2 trick to increase FICO score.  (Read 115686 times)

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: $2 trick to increase FICO score.
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2016, 02:12:23 PM »
I chose ink because I prefer UR for me at this point. Didn't really care too much, though, this is a one time thing for me.

Chase will report a zero balance after a PIF, regardless of closing date.
Is this automatic, sm, or phone call?

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
Is this automatic, sm, or phone call?
Automatic

Offline smaxber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »

Chase will report a zero balance after a PIF, regardless of closing date.
What does this mean exactly?

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2016, 02:17:49 PM »
What does this mean exactly?
Chase reports to the CRAs when the balance is paid in full no matter when in the month it is

Offline smaxber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »
Chase reports to the CRAs when the balance is paid in full no matter when in the month it is
so never pay in full? Always pay the max-$2

Offline PillanSmye

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2016, 02:51:23 PM »
Don't use a chase card as the one to report the $2...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Don't use a chase card as the one to report the $2...
You can, depending on your purpose, and provided the time your report is pulled you have not PIF, i.e. If the statement closes on the 5th, you apply for X on the 10th, and pay balance on 15th before payment is due.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mendelssohn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2016, 06:31:42 PM »
You can, depending on your purpose, and provided the time your report is pulled you have not PIF, i.e. If the statement closes on the 5th, you apply for X on the 10th, and pay balance on 15th before payment is due.

And then you are screwed the rest of the month.

It's not worth it and not necessary.  Don't try and reinvent the wheel.  This is a tried and true method on CB that works great.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
Dont miss the forest for the tree.

I said don't use Chase, not can't use Chase.

A MUCH more intelligent use of a Chase card would be as the safety valve after you've positioned your other cards, then PIF the day the statement cuts, ensuring the $2 trick will be in effect for the maximum amount of time.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »
And then you are screwed the rest of the month.

It's not worth it and not necessary.  Don't try and reinvent the wheel.  This is a tried and true method on CB that works great.

Again, for some purposes--including mine--where I need to worry about the score being at its max only during a short period of time (when the report will be pulled), I don't need to concern myself with the rest of the month. It's not reinventing the wheel so much as using the wheel in a slightly different fashion.

Also, for the person who goes through all the work and makes a mistake by leaving $2 on a personal Chase, all is not lost.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:34:24 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »

A MUCH more intelligent use of a Chase card would be as the safety valve after you've positioned your other cards, then PIF the day the statement cuts, ensuring the $2 trick will be in effect for the maximum amount of time.

Nah, it'd be much safer just to use a business card where utilization is a complete non-factor aside for the creditor from whom you've taken the credit line.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »

Nah, it'd be much safer just to use a business card where utilization is a complete non-factor aside for the creditor from whom you've taken the credit line.
Except most people on this board don't have business cards.

Again, missing the forrest for the trees.

What is it with this forum that people spend so much energy trying to add a -1 or find something to nitpick?

And for the record, I have like 12 business cards, strong credit reports, and don't worry about the $2 trick at times depending on my MS patterns.  But that doesn't keep me from trying to present information that will help the majority of forum members.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:03 PM »
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2016, 10:50:13 PM »

Again, missing the forrest for the trees.

What is it with this forum that people spend so much energy trying to add a -1 or find something to nitpick?

And for the record, I have like 12 business cards, strong credit reports, and don't worry about the $2 trick at times depending on my MS patterns.  But that doesn't keep me from trying to present information that will help the majority of forum members.

You seem to be missing the point that I'm also helping members. More than one way to skin a cat, not only yours.

More information the better.

And most people on this forum do have business cards.

Offline Mendelssohn

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2016, 12:03:58 AM »
Again, for some purposes--including mine--where I need to worry about the score being at its max only during a short period of time (when the report will be pulled), I don't need to concern myself with the rest of the month. It's not reinventing the wheel so much as using the wheel in a slightly different fashion.

Also, for the person who goes through all the work and makes a mistake by leaving $2 on a personal Chase, all is not lost.

Except that your method is not efficient and is unnecessarily complicated.

It's also not helpful for those trying to learn how to do this.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2016, 12:08:09 AM »
Why do you say that?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2016, 10:30:27 PM »
Except that your method is not efficient and is unnecessarily complicated.

It's also not helpful for those trying to learn how to do this.
If I gathered all info discusses recently correctly, I'd like to point out a few things.
-We're all bickering about almost nothing. (having the card with $2 be a non Chase card vs. having a Chase card close with $2, apply for cc, then pay back the $2)
- AJK never gave a full method with step by step, just another way to have a temp. $2 trick score boost.
- It could be that having a non Chase card close with $2 is best for someone who always want to be ready to apply and have a high score just in case, and that this unofficial way to do this method would be the most helpful if doing an AOR. Let's say someone does AOR with $2 trick, pays back and has Chase report PIF 0 balance. Then they call recon to continue AOR and the recon rep sees all balances at 0 and the high score. How's that for a disappearing $2 trick?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 17, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Mendelssohn

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2016, 09:07:02 AM »
If I gathered all info discusses recently correctly, I'd like to point out a few things.
-We're all bickering about almost nothing. (having the card with $2 be a non Chase card vs. having a Chase card close with $2, apply for cc, then pay back the $2)
- AJK never gave a full method with step by step, just another way to have a temp. $2 trick score boost.
- It could be that having a non Chase card close with $2 is best for someone who always want to be ready to apply and have a high score just in case, and that this unofficial way to do this method would be the most helpful if doing an AOR. Let's say someone does AOR with $2 trick, pays back and has Chase report PIF 0 balance. Then they call recon to continue AOR and the recon rep sees all balances at 0 and the high score. How's that for a disappearing $2 trick?

You need to read it again.

Offline Yhgfkj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 18, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
You need to read it again.
its getting more complicated subtotal is there any deference between if the $2 is reported on chase vie non chase ?
what's the whole argument please clear the fog  :-[