Topic Wiki

What do you do?  Let $2 report on a single credit card.  All of your other cards should report $0, which means you must pay them to $0 before the statements close.

Why $2?  Because you want the lowest amount possible to report that is greater than $0.  $2 is the most reliable number to use that will generally report and not be credited to $0.

Does this work with any cards? Do not do this with Chase, Discover or charge cards.  Chase often updates mid cycle if you pay a balance to $0, leaving you with nothing reporting.  If you want to use Discover, you need to use $3 because they will credit $2 to $0.  Charge cards are counted much differently for utilization, and it varies by scoring model.

But MyFico and CreditKarma say that my utilization is 0%.  Credit Karma is a FAKO, and although even MF will give you this number as a percentage, it is calculated as a ratio by FICO.  $2 counts as usage.

What is the goal of the $2 trick?
  The goal is to get the most points possible out of FICO for the utilization portion of your scores AND to maintain it all the time.  The "all the time" part is the reason you don't use Chase cards.

More Detailed Explanation At CreditBoards

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=544017

$2 Trick Will Not Work With A Charge Card https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=557648

Author Topic: $2 trick to increase FICO score.  (Read 115633 times)

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: $2 trick to increase FICO score.
« Reply #280 on: January 18, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
its getting more complicated subtotal is there any deference between if the $2 is reported on chase vie non chase ?
what's the whole argument please clear the fog  :-[
Simply put, no. The only difference is that if you pay off that chase balance after the balance posts, chase will immediately update the CRA with that $0 balance, which will look like zero activity.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 18, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
its getting more complicated subtotal is there any deference between if the $2 is reported on chase vie non chase ?
what's the whole argument please clear the fog  :-[
I thought I was on the right track, but I guess I'm with you...

Offline PillanSmye

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 18, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
Simply put, no. The only difference is that if you pay off that chase balance after the balance posts, chase will immediately update the CRA with that $0 balance, which will look like zero activity.
Which will lower your scores.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #283 on: January 19, 2016, 12:24:54 AM »
Is it sufficient to have $2 report on an AU card?

Or must the card be primary?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2016, 12:43:01 AM »

Balance goes by account, not card.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »
Balance goes by account, not card.

So you're saying it's sufficient.

If Card X reports with $2 balance, and Person B is an AU on Card X, Person B need not (and should not) have Card Y (which is a primary card for Person B) report $2.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2016, 01:00:15 AM »
So you're saying it's sufficient.

If Card X reports with $2 balance, and Person B is an AU on Card X, Person B need not (and should not) have Card Y (which is a primary card for Person B) report $2.
Oh, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking if the money has to be spent by the primary card as apposed to an AU card, if you're the primary cardholder. If the balance reports to your credit report, it shouldn't make a difference if it's on a primary or AU card as far as FICO is concerned, iinm, but I'm not qualified to answer that  authoritatively.
JTZ

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 19, 2016, 01:03:10 AM »
Please tell me you did not honestly think that I was asking if the actual $2 of spend had to be done by the primary as opposed to the AU.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 19, 2016, 01:06:10 AM »
Please tell me you did not honestly think that I was asking if the actual $2 of spend had to be done by the primary as opposed to the AU.
I wasn't thinking. My bad.
JTZ

Offline newdealseeker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 22, 2016, 01:17:35 AM »
I paid my full balance, less $2, the day before statement closing. Now it closed with a $13 credit balance because I received my Visa Checkout offer credit...

Offline ari2955

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 22, 2016, 01:41:17 AM »

One last question back on the $2 trick (sorry everyone!): If the card that I'm leaving $2 on is an Amex, and my wife is an AU on that account (thereby causing those $2 to show up on her report), is that enough for her to be successfully doing the $2 trick? Or should she have a card that she is a primary on with a $2 balance?
That should work, but it's always safer to control the reporting with AU cards. She should do that with her own card and you should use 1 that doesn't have any AUs. I can't recall if this varies by scoring models, but know it has been discussed on CB.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2016, 01:53:01 AM »
Thanks!

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 22, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »
I paid my full balance, less $2, the day before statement closing. Now it closed with a $13 credit balance because I received my Visa Checkout offer credit...
That's why they said not to use a chase card...
JTZ

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 22, 2016, 02:21:49 AM »
Its well known FICO doesnt distinguish between AU vs primary balances for utilization  calculations , so why would it be different for the $2 trick?

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 22, 2016, 02:24:00 AM »
Its well known FICO doesnt distinguish between AU vs primary balances for utilization  calculations , so why would it be different for the $2 trick?
Wasn't well known to me...

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2016, 02:26:57 AM »
Wasn't well known to me...
then you should read how au cards work.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2016, 02:28:48 AM »
then you should read how au cards work.
Or just follow the forums once in a while. Btw, should I google or is there a better place to read up?

Offline newdealseeker

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »
That's why they said not to use a chase card...
And how would it help if it was a different card? What I meant to say is that you can't control if there will be a credit the day of closing.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »
And how would it help if it was a different card? What I meant to say is that you can't control if there will be a credit the day of closing.
I was joking. There's a totally different reason why chase cards aren't recommender, discussed above. This credit happened to be for chase cards.
JTZ

Offline newdealseeker

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
I was joking. There's a totally different reason why chase cards aren't recommender, discussed above. This credit happened to be for chase cards.
You're right. But I thought the reasons for not using Chase can be worked around, and obviously I couldn't this time.
So basically everyone here following this rule never leaves a balance on their Chase cards?