Author Topic: Knee Surgery  (Read 1380 times)

Offline world2see

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Knee Surgery
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »
Was curious if anyone has had Arthoscopic knee surgery and are willing to share any advice- Dr. recommendations(NY/NJ)?
What to expect before/after surgery?
Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Knee Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:18:19 PM »
Try calling one of the medical referral places like echo (845) 425-9750 or Refuah 845-782-2000 for Dr recommendations

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Thank you!
I did already, was looking for actual experienced feedback, personal experiences:)

Offline WiddleAvi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
I had ACL surgery about 7 years ago. Feel free to ask any questions. The surgery itself was outpatient. I went home a few hours I guess after the surgery. Leg was locked in a brace so that leg was pretty much immobile.  There was some sort nerve block that was put in my thigh so help with pain once at home. That stayed in for a few days to a week (not exactly sure).  From what I remember the pain wasn't terrible with the pain killer pills. The hardest part in the first few days was getting out of bed to go to bathroom and then sleeping on back with leg locked in place. From what I remember I was bed for about a week or 2. Started basic rehab at home (Some sort of machine that starts bending your leg to start getting basic mobility). I dont remember how long after I started going to physical therapy, I am guessing 3-4 weeks after surgery. Rehab was about 6 months I think and then a little longer just to feel comfortable playing sports. Within 6 months after rehab I was playing full contact sports and probably within a year I did not think about my knee while playing. I went to rehab twice a week. Hope that helps.

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:24:11 PM »
Thanks so much for that info!
Would you recommend your Dr.?

Offline WiddleAvi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 07:13:39 PM »
I would. But keep in mind I had very little interaction with the doctor. Once I was diagnosed by an MRI with a torn ACL then I found my doctor. I saw her once for not to long for her look at the MRI and my leg and decide if I want the ACL taken from another part of my body or donated from someone else (someone who dies and donated organs). I then saw her for a few minutes at the hospital before I was put under and then when I woke up for a few minutes for her to tell me that it went well. I then had a couple of follow up visits for her to make sure it was all healing ok. The reason I would say I recommend her is my leg is doing great now !!

Offline danzz72

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »
Im 22 yrs old and had a meniscal tear last february while snowboarding. The tear was bad enough that part of my lateral (outer) meniscus came out of place so they trimmed the rest of it off to make it smooth. I still have my medial meniscus and had the surgery done last June. so 4 months i walked on a meniscal tear without even knowing I have the tear until a month after the incident. I got the surgery done with Dr. Elliot Hershman (office in Manhattan) who is the NY Jets orthopedic surgeon so hes pretty choshuv and knows what hes doing. A lot of Jews go to him for orthopedic surgery and hes Jewish too, not frum though. I will say I got 2 insurances so B''h the bill was not high but its a $12,000 surgery otherwise. He was very good from the start. Saw him and 2 other doctors before surgery and i felt most comfortable with him. the surgery was 45 min and i was walking the same day with a cast that i took off after two days. I used a cane for a few days just not to put pressure on the knee. Went to rehab for 8 weeks 2 times a week. was feeling a lot better already after a month and now , 7 months later and  i already went snowboarding twice. will be going this Sunday too !! i wear a small brace to give extra support to the right knee. I will just say your knee is priceless and if ur still young like me and want to keep young physically, then triple check your options like i did. I am very pleased. I hope i was of any help

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
Im 22 yrs old and had a meniscal tear last february while snowboarding. The tear was bad enough that part of my lateral (outer) meniscus came out of place so they trimmed the rest of it off to make it smooth. I still have my medial meniscus and had the surgery done last June. so 4 months i walked on a meniscal tear without even knowing I have the tear until a month after the incident. I got the surgery done with Dr. Elliot Hershman (office in Manhattan) who is the NY Jets orthopedic surgeon so hes pretty choshuv and knows what hes doing. A lot of Jews go to him for orthopedic surgery and hes Jewish too, not frum though. I will say I got 2 insurances so B''h the bill was not high but its a $12,000 surgery otherwise. He was very good from the start. Saw him and 2 other doctors before surgery and i felt most comfortable with him. the surgery was 45 min and i was walking the same day with a cast that i took off after two days. I used a cane for a few days just not to put pressure on the knee. Went to rehab for 8 weeks 2 times a week. was feeling a lot better already after a month and now , 7 months later and  i already went snowboarding twice. will be going this Sunday too !! i wear a small brace to give extra support to the right knee. I will just say your knee is priceless and if ur still young like me and want to keep young physically, then triple check your options like i did. I am very pleased. I hope i was of any help

Thats very helpful as i'm in a similar situation. Thank you! :)

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 01:35:24 PM »
I would. But keep in mind I had very little interaction with the doctor. Once I was diagnosed by an MRI with a torn ACL then I found my doctor. I saw her once for not to long for her look at the MRI and my leg and decide if I want the ACL taken from another part of my body or donated from someone else (someone who dies and donated organs). I then saw her for a few minutes at the hospital before I was put under and then when I woke up for a few minutes for her to tell me that it went well. I then had a couple of follow up visits for her to make sure it was all healing ok. The reason I would say I recommend her is my leg is doing great now !!