Author Topic: KFI - Kashrus Watchdog in Israel  (Read 62111 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
KFI - Kashrus Watchdog in Israel
« on: February 04, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
Meet KFI (Kosher Food Information for the English Speaking Community in Israel)
9 Shevat 5775
January 29, 2015

KFI: Who We Are:
KFI is a not-for-profit organization founded by a group of English-speaking Rabbanim concerned about the lack of uniform standards amongst the kashrus organizations in Yerushalayim. They seek to establish a minimum Mehadrin standard, as well as spread greater awareness of kashrus (and potential kashrus issues).

The Rabbanim of KFI have found widespread deficiencies, even in mehadrin eateries, in areas such as bishul akum, the absence of adequate supervision, checking of bugs, as well as instances where meat, chicken, and other sensitive items were left unsealed. Therefore, the Rabbanim have joined together to create a much needed system of independent verification of kashrus standards.

What We Do:
- We have established a minimum, reliable standard of kashrus supervision for mehadrin eateries, which meets or exceeds American standards. Any establishment verified by KFI will meet at least this standard. Details of the standards established by KFI will be made available to the public.

- We work together with eateries to raise their standards to minimum mehadrin level. – We maintain regular on-site audits to verify that these standards continue to be upheld.

- If the eatery maintains standards above those that KFI requires, KFI verifies that the eatery’s claimed standards are adhered to.

What We Do NOT Do:
- We do NOT set standards for raw materials or endorse the different hashgachos found on them. Rather, KFI publicizes an eatery’s list of hashgachos, and verifies that it complies with its published list.

KFI IS NOT A HASHGACHA!

We do not recommend any eatery. Rather, we seek to provide the public with the information that will allow the consumer to ask his Rav for an accurate and considered ruling.

Offline moish

• View Profile
Re: KFI - Kashrus Watchdog in Israel
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
KFI Kashrus System Guidelines
13 Shevat 5775

February 2, 2015

This posting contains the standards set forth by KFI for the restaurants that wish to work with the volunteer kashrus audit organization as detailed by the KFI rabbonim.

Our Kashrus system guidelines:

1.  Storage units for sensitive ingredients (e.g. fridges/freezers which contain fish and/or meat) must be locked and unlocked by Mashgiach only, and only he may have the keys. Arrangements will be made for emergencies.

2.  All frozen meats and fish that are being removed from their original packaging must be labeled, dated, sealed, and signed by Mashgiach.

3.  All incoming materials must be reviewed by the Mashgiach before storing them in the warehouse or using them in the kitchen. All receipts must be saved for review by our auditor.

4.  The eatery must submit separate lists of Hechsherim used for produce, meat, and standard ingredients. The eatery agrees not to purchase any items from any Hashgacha not on the respective lists.

5.  For bishul Yisrael, it is up to the eatery to specify its standard as either Rama or Bais Yosef. If Rama, a Shomer Shabbos must turn on the ovens and all fires, and they may not be turned off. If Bais Yosef, a Jew (even non Shomer Shabbos must put the food in the oven or on the fire, which were turned on as by a Shomer Shabbos. The Mashgiach must be able to verify compliance with these standards.

6.  Bug checking and sifting must be done by the Mashgiach. (For Gush-Katif-style lettuce, he only has to separate the leaves and put them into the soapy water.)

7.  The eatery may choose a standard for tevilas keilim, which will then be verified by KFI.

8.  The Mashgiach is responsible for overseeing the taking of challah, either by himself or another Shomer Shabbos.

9.  All alcoholic beverages must comply with a recognized comprehensive Kosher list and the list must be posted prominently by the bar.

10.  Liver must be kashered in accordance with Halacha. That includes using separate Keilim, and broiling it over an open element with the Mashgiach present throughout. It may not be defrosted in a container without drainage. It may not be re-cooked if kashered more than 72 hours after the shechitah.

11.  The Mashgiach or ne’eman kashrut must be in attendance any time there is cooking, serving, or vegetable washing taking place, and whenever sensitive ingredients are not secured. He should be stationed in the kitchen, except for brief bathroom breaks and when he is called to pour wine. Whenever he is on a longer break, all sensitive ingredients must be secured, and no cooking, serving or vegetable washing may take place.

12.  The Mashgiach and Ne’eman Kashrut must both be Shomer Shabbos, daven regularly, and lead lives typical of Ne’emanim. They must provide proof of their status. They must also have basic Kashrus knowledge.

13.  The eatery staff must be educated about all relevant protocols.

14.  Meat and fish must have separate fryers and grills. (Anything pareve that is fried on meat fryers acquires the status of meat, and anything fried in fish fryers acquires the status of fish.)

15.  A Shomer Shabbos must open and pour all wine. No returns are permitted.

16.  Full entry to KFI representatives and Rabbanim must be granted at any time to any place.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:23:24 PM by moish »

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 04:18:38 PM »
KFI Report on Sheyan Restaurant
15 Shevat 5775
February 4, 2015

Sheyan
8 Ramban Street
Jerusalem, Israel
02-566-1995

Sheyan has raised its Kashrus standards to conform with American standards.
Hashgacha is under Agudas Yisroel (they take the responsibility for the Kashrus, not us.)
Bishul Yisroel for Ashkenazim: a Shomer Shabbos will put on all the fires daily. For the duration of the day, they are relying on approved pilots that are under the pots and contribute to the cooking. For Sefardim, all cooking will be done by a Yehudi, (may be not Shomer Shabbos).

Hashgachos used in products:
Meats – Shearis Yisroel, Rav Rubin, Rav Landau (Bnei Brak) and Agudas Yisroel
Fish – Rav Revach
Produce – Agudas Yisroel and Eidah Chareidis. In regards to Shmitah they use Yival Nachri, Chol, Shishis, Matza Menutak and Aravah Tzefonis.
Standard Ingredients – Eidah Chareidis, Agudas Yisroel, Rav Rubin, Rav Landau, Chasam Sofer Bnei Brak, Chasam Sofer Petach Tikva, Chaf K, הרב נורבורטר,
הרב פרנקפוטר , Belz.

KFI takes no position regarding the reliability of any Hashgacha or product. Consumers are urged to ask their Rabbanim for guidance.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:19:02 PM »
KFI Report on Keyara Restaurant
15 Shevat 5775
February 4, 2015

Keyara

8 Ramban Street
Jerusalem, Israel
02-566-3271

Keyara has raised its Kashrus standards to conform with American standards.
Hashgacha is under Agudas Yisroel (they take the responsibility for the Kashrus, not us.)
Bishul Yisroel for Ashkenazim: a Shomer Shabbos will light all the fires daily. For Sefardim, all cooking will be done by a Yehudi, (may be not Shomer Shabbos).
Kashering liver according to accepted protocol has been implemented.

Hashgachos used in products:
Meats – Shearis Yisroel, Rav Rubin, Rav Landau (Bnei Brak), Agudas Yisroel and (sometimes Rabbanut Mehadrin Yerushalayim on the lamb chops)
Fish – Rav Revach
Produce – Agudas Yisroel and Eidah Chareidis. In regards to Shmitah they use Yival Nachri, Chol, Shishis, Matza Menutak and Aravah Tzefonis.
Standard Ingredients – Eidah Chareidis, Agudas Yisroel, Rav Rubin, Rav Landau, Chasam Sofer Bnei Brak, Chasam Sofer Petach Tikva, הרב נורבורטר, הרב פרנקפוטר, Belz.

KFI takes no position regarding the reliability of any Hashgacha or product. Consumers are urged to ask their Rabbanim for guidance.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 04:19:33 PM »
Has anyone heard of Rav Revach, הרב נורבורטר, הרב פרנקפוטר?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Has anyone heard of Rav Revach, הרב נורבורטר, הרב פרנקפוטר?
R Revach is probably the one who started the whole fish worm thing. NIRBATOR is probably the American Meal Mart.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »
I don't understand.  Are they undermining the hasgachas and then saying to rely on them?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
I don't understand.  Are they undermining the hasgachas and then saying to rely on them?
just give it time. Anything else like this has always ended up going from doing good to doing well.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
just give it time. Anything else like this has always ended up going from doing good to doing well.
I can't say I understand

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
sounds like another kosher tax to me

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:22:04 PM »
I'ts simple. they are trying to standardize kasrus in Israel for the american oilem that don't know whats what here.
Places like Keyara and Sheyan are frequented by plenty of american beni torah who really have no clue what the're eating except that when their sister in laws father came to Israel 3 years ago he ate there.

How many people know what meats or fish or vegetables Aguda hechsher relays on? What kind of Bishul Yisroel they relay on? Who pours the wine?

When you have a standard set by the Rabanim and Poskim that the american bnei torah in eretz yisroel relay on, you know that you can eat there without a problem.

One of the major people behind KFI is Rabbi Shmuli Weiner from ZNT shull in Ramat Eshkol. He personally ate at Sheyan with Rav Chaim Tzvi Senter after they upgraded their kashrus.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »
I'ts simple. they are trying to standardize kasrus in Israel for the american oilem that don't know whats what here.
Places like Keyara and Sheyan are frequented by plenty of american beni torah who really have no clue what the're eating except that when their sister in laws father came to Israel 3 years ago he ate there.

How many people know what meats or fish or vegetables Aguda hechsher relays on? What kind of Bishul Yisroel they relay on? Who pours the wine?

When you have a standard set by the Rabanim and Poskim that the american bnei torah in eretz yisroel relay on, you know that you can eat there without a problem.

One of the major people behind KFI is Rabbi Shmuli Weiner from ZNT shull in Ramat Eshkol. He personally ate at Sheyan with Rav Chaim Tzvi Senter after they upgraded their kashrus.
So just tell us which hechserim are good, saying that specific stores under the same hechser have different kosher standards is undermining the very basis of hechserim here

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
saying  specific stores under the same hechser have different kosher standards
Welcome to Israel!
Would you prefer to be told you can't eat somewhere because the Hecsher they have is hit and miss or have someone check out that specific restaurant and tell you that it's okey?

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »
So just tell us which hechserim are good, saying that specific stores under the same hechser have different kosher standards is undermining the very basis of hechserim here
I hear both ways. It is definitely true there is no uniform standard even within a hashgacha. Many places with a lower level hashgacha when researched are mehadrin and unfortunately the reverse is true as well.

But sof sof KFI is basically another hechsher

Offline SrulyP

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Emerald EE; Hertz five star; Avis Five Star
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »

This piques my curiosity, as a follower of both of them, I would be tremendously interested in what they have to say about this new "hashgacha." Luckily, I will be seeing him this friday (he is coming to america tomorrow) and look forward to asking him about this and will post his words when I hear them. I also just spoke to Rabbi Wiener today... wish I would have saw this article before...

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 02:52:17 AM »

Welcome to Israel!
Would you prefer to be told you can't eat somewhere because the Hecsher they have is hit and miss or have someone check out that specific restaurant and tell you that it's okey?

sof sof KFI is basically another hechsher
Precisely.  It irks me that they claim not to be

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 02:56:57 AM »
Sheyan hasn't changed their kashrus in years. Sounds more like they upgraded themselves by paying a protection charge to a mafia.

I don't know the details of this story but I get suspicious when someone won't identify himself by his name but only by the title Rabbi. Being a respectable figure is like being a lady - if you have to tell people you're a lady you're probably not.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 02:58:42 AM »
But sof sof KFI is basically another hechsher
The issue with Eisav was that he tries to falsely portray himself as a tzaddik.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 02:59:24 AM »

I don't know the details of this story
I can tell

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 03:01:58 AM »
I can tell
Considering I said it myself all it takes is knowing how to read