Topic Wiki

• DansDeals.com is a business. This may shock you, but it is true.
  • Dan is apparently NOT a deity[Citation needed].
  • Dan is not the Messiah.
  • Dan IS a Tzadik[1][2].
  • There may be other credit cards you may apply for that have not been featured on Dans Deals.
  • Dans Deals is a business.
  • It is not proper to show appreciation to Dan, as he is running a business.
  • You may not find a use for every Ebay or Amazon deal posted on Dans Deals.
  • Chaim M and Dan are old friends who learned together in Yeshiva. They have never argued.
  • Dan is responsible for his fans' behavior.
  • Dans Deals is a business.
  • Meshugener is not crazy anymore. Boruch Ropheh Cholim.
  • the DansDeals.com domain name was previously owned by someone else. Why did they give it up? Did they meet an untimely end? We might never know what shady past lies behind Dans Deals, which is a business, btw.

Author Topic: Consumer Advocate Attacks Credit Card/Points Blogs  (Read 71408 times)

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Consumer Advocate Attacks Credit Card/Points Blogs
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
Depends what.

I didn't make a dime of the Exec 100K/75K cards but covered them more than any other blog.

End of the day, every business is going to push what pays the bills.  The key for any blogger is finding the right balance.
Difference here is that there's DDF where you can talk about everything as opposed to blogs without a forum for that.

just like bloggers have to draw their own lines readers have to draw their own conclusions

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »
Can't talk about CB portals which can make a big difference in certain cases, like when Staples first introduced  $200 VGCs on their website

Nor can you on other deal forums like SD.

Ultimately that undermines the entire business model.  So you have to make the choice, do you want the business to exist or not?

Is the service provided by the business worth "paying" for? Or is it always going to be expected for free?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
You just post it in the appropriate thread & within minutes the pro's map it out for you.
The problem is I am not flexible.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »
Can't talk about CB portals which can make a big difference in certain cases, like when Staples first introduced  $200 VGCs on their website
I think that is very understandable if we discussed CB portals Dan would make no money and need to find a new job leaving us with nothing.
Don't just be a freeloader you are getting something very valuable here and should appreciate it by using Dan's links and keeping the site going
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 12:30:36 PM »
The problem is I am not flexible.
Then you won't find much for good prices paying cash either.

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »
I see many people here are extremely delusional about Dan and his site. I too benefit from it but I don't think for a second that Dan is in this for me. He's in it for himself, to make money. Frum yidden in general seem to have a very Utopian view of their dealings with other frum yidden, which explains why so many get scammed by their friends, neighbors, and community members. Whenever I see commnets on the site lauding Dan (like Dan's the Man) and gushing over him and all he does, I laugh at peoples' naivete.

Offline incendia

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2015, 12:35:12 PM »
Nor can you on other deal forums like SD.

Ultimately that undermines the entire business model.  So you have to make the choice, do you want the business to exist or not?

Is the service provided by the business worth "paying" for? Or is it always going to be expected for free?
I dont want this to sound like a personal attack but in contrast many bloggers did talk about the staples deal including some full time bloggers, that make their living as bloggers.

this is your business and you'll run it how you see fit, and I have no problems with that but i do trust you less because you aren't as transparent as other blogs.

A question to you. is DDf a deals forum like SD or a discussion forum like FT ( that does allow discussion of CB portals) ?

Offline incendia

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
I see many people here are extremely delusional about Dan and his site. I too benefit from it but I don't think for a second that Dan is in this for me. He's in it for himself, to make money. Frum yidden in general seem to have a very Utopian view of their dealings with other frum yidden, which explains why so many get scammed by their friends, neighbors, and community members. Whenever I see commnets on the site lauding Dan (like Dan's the Man) and gushing over him and all he does, I laugh at peoples' naivete.

its all in the title Dan's deals

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »
-1 while what you are saying is true just because Dan makes money off of it is not a reason not to appreciate it and I am very thankful to Dan even though I know he does it to make an honest living
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »
To be fair, it wasn't a business for the first several years nor was it intended to be. It turned into one because the traffic allowed it to become one.

I don't think people think DD is a tzedaka org.  Rather they appreciate what the business has to offer and what they've gotten out of it.
Do people think Steve Jobs made products just to benefits others?  And yet people still loved what he did for them. Why is that a contradiction?

I dont want this to sound like a personal attack but in contrast many bloggers did talk about the staples deal including some full time bloggers, that make their living as bloggers.

this is your business and you'll run it how you see fit, and I have no problems with that but i do trust you less because you aren't as transparent as other blogs.

A question to you. is DDf a deals forum like SD or a discussion forum like FT ( that does allow discussion of CB portals) ?
CC rev is fickle.
Most other bloggers started only after it came around and many have quit blogging since losing it.

I don't know of any other bloggers that straddle the travel and deal space, but I rely on revenue from both sides to make this work.  Other deal blogs don't tell you every time to go do CB because that would put themselves out of business.

If that makes what I have to say untrustworthy then c'est la vie.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Depends what.

I didn't make a dime of the Exec 100K/75K cards but covered them more than any other blog.

End of the day, every business is going to push what pays the bills.  The key for any blogger is finding the right balance.
Difference here is that there's DDF where you can talk about everything as opposed to blogs without a forum for that.
while we are on the topic, is there any chance you would say why the ritz card did not make ddms. is it not as good as it seems?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
while we are on the topic, is there any chance you would say why the ritz card did not make ddms. is it not as good as it seems?
To be honest I've never opened a Marriott cc and haven't look into it.  I find other currencies are a better use of my pulls.

Regardless, I'm far from perfect. I'll be the first to admit that.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 12:52:07 PM »

i like the description that another blogger gave dansdeals "A Jewish guy from Cleveland who has developed a fantastic resource and community around deals. Almost always adds value to his posts which, bizarrely, do not feel like pure marketing pitches. Nice discussion forums too."

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
To be fair, it wasn't a business for the first several years nor was it intended to be. It turned into one because the traffic allowed it to become one.

I don't think people think DD is a tzedaka org.  Rather they appreciate what the business has to offer and what they've gotten out of it.
Do people think Steve Jobs made products just to benefits others?  And yet people still loved what he did for them. Why is that a contradiction?

It's a contradiction because nobody has deep personal appreciation towards Steve Jobs for what he produced. Nobody normal would go over him to thank him for saving his time and making him more productive as a result of the iPhone, for allowing him to take great pictures on through the iPhone, and for speeding up his old computer though his Mac. We can appreciate what he did and how he made things better for us without a deep personal appreciation because that's what business is-I get the iPhone, he gets the money, and we're both happy because we both did the other a favor. Therefore, the ones who use your site should appreciate your services but to applaud your efforts on their behalf is absurd. You're in this for yourself the way every other worker in very other industry is.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 12:54:06 PM »
It's a contradiction because nobody has deep personal appreciation towards Steve Jobs for what he produced. Nobody normal would go over him to thank him for saving his time and making him more productive as a result of the iPhone,
Wow.
I couldn't disagree more what that.

My hakaras hatov doesn't end just because I paid for something.

Offline mawmaw

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »
To be honest I've never opened a Marriott cc and haven't look into it.  I find other currencies are a better use of my pulls.

Regardless, I'm far from perfect. I'll be the first to admit that.
??? 140 Ritz is worth about 70k UA that make this card better then any other UA signup bonus and the $300 credit makes up the annual fee even if you dont close the card to get annual fee back

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »
??? 140 Ritz is worth about 70k UA that make this card better then any other UA signup bonus and the $300 credit makes up the annual fee even if you dont close the card to get annual fee back
do you really think he didnt read the ritz thread. im pretty sure hes aware  ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »
Like I said, I don't follow the Marriott program at all and I write about what I know.
Does 140K Marriott really become 70K UA?

do you really think he didnt read the ritz thread. im pretty sure hes aware  ;)
To be honest, I haven't.

Offline incendia

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »

CC rev is fickle.
Most other bloggers started only after it came around and many have quit blogging since losing it.

I don't know of any other bloggers that straddle the travel and deal space, but I rely on revenue from both sides to make this work.  Other deal blogs don't tell you every time to go do CB because that would put themselves out of business.

If that makes what I have to say untrustworthy then c'est la vie.

its not that I think you are untrustworthy I dont think you are out to deceive your readers  but there is quality information out there that you dont write about, and their are mediocre deals that you do write about. I cant help but feels that those decisions are driven by what makes you money and what doesnt. When I make a decision I try to do it on what is best for me, and I understand what you post on the MS isn't necessarily whats best for me.

I think that if on MS deals you had a line like " dont forget to use your favorite portal" many people would still use your affiliate links, but that falls under the category of your business

based on some of the comment on the MS posts some people do think that DD is a tzadaka org

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »
Dan started this thing as a hobby while he was in yeshiva.

The traffic allowed him to make some money on it.

Since he spends all his time working on this, should he not be able to make a living?

I know that even if Dan had a "real job" he would still contribute as much as he can on his blog.

Believe it or not, I know for a fact that Dan likes helping people get good deals, not crap, and that's how this whole thing started.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan