Topic Wiki

• DansDeals.com is a business. This may shock you, but it is true.
  • Dan is apparently NOT a deity[Citation needed].
  • Dan is not the Messiah.
  • Dan IS a Tzadik[1][2].
  • There may be other credit cards you may apply for that have not been featured on Dans Deals.
  • Dans Deals is a business.
  • It is not proper to show appreciation to Dan, as he is running a business.
  • You may not find a use for every Ebay or Amazon deal posted on Dans Deals.
  • Chaim M and Dan are old friends who learned together in Yeshiva. They have never argued.
  • Dan is responsible for his fans' behavior.
  • Dans Deals is a business.
  • Meshugener is not crazy anymore. Boruch Ropheh Cholim.
  • the DansDeals.com domain name was previously owned by someone else. Why did they give it up? Did they meet an untimely end? We might never know what shady past lies behind Dans Deals, which is a business, btw.

Author Topic: Consumer Advocate Attacks Credit Card/Points Blogs  (Read 72241 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Consumer Advocate Attacks Credit Card/Points Blogs
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
I hate to change the subject from this tachlisdik conversation, but I'd just like to remind the choshuva oilam how to spell the word "referral".

Thanks in advance
There's a grammar thread for that :P

Offline Matovu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »
CS1 said it well.

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
I don't read him religiously.

The few posts I clicked on from TBB had errors in them. Usually when he's posting crowd-sourced info it seemed like.
Same goes for several TIF posts I clicked on from TBB.

TBB?
TIF?

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
Wow.
I couldn't disagree more what that.

My hakaras hatov doesn't end just because I paid for something.
Really? You have hakaras hatov to Steve Jobs for making the iPhone? What about to Bill Gates for making Microsoft? And the Chinese workers making the plastic utensils you eat with you also have hakaras hatov too? That's ludicrous. There's an obvious difference between having hakaras hatov (read: to someone who did a favor for you) and appreciating a mutually beneficial business service (definitely not hakaras hatov).

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2015, 03:29:05 PM »
TBB?
TIF?
please google it
I once quoted from TBB and it got deleted in seconds...  :P

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
I hate to change the subject from this tachlisdik conversation, but I'd just like to remind the choshuva oilam how to spell the word "referral".

Thanks in advance
Lol

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
Really? You have hakaras hatov to Steve Jobs for making the iPhone? What about to Bill Gates for making Microsoft? And the Chinese workers making the plastic utensils you eat with you also have hakaras hatov too? That's ludicrous. There's an obvious difference between having hakaras hatov (read: to someone who did a favor for you) and appreciating a mutually beneficial business service (definitely not hakaras hatov).

If you restrict your hakaros hatov to "pure selfless giving" scenarios you will be dishing out very little of it. Not to get all philosophical but what makes something a favor? There's almost always something in it for the giver, even if it's just to feel better about themselves. imo!

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
..and, it addition to that, WE don't pay a dime, it's all free knowledge from Dan that gives us financial opportunities, financial savings, a place to network, and ways to get food recommendations and go to quality places for Kosher meals, convenient minyanim, and Shabbos-friendly spots all for FREE!  We have a basic teachers'/Rabbi/lower-end salary, and we can fly, vacation, hotel, and dine-out alongside many 5-Star families thanks to Dan!
And guess who else enabled that....Chase and AMEX. Do you have hakaras hatov for them too? Or are they just conducting their business for their own good and you're benefiting.
And don't tell me you do have hakaras hatov for them. When was the last time you consistently worked behind the back of a guy you ave a hakaras hatov to and milk from him hundreds of dollars of value of what is clearly not his intention to give to you in the way you're getting it (churning, MS, etc.)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
If you restrict your hakaros hatov to "pure selfless giving" scenarios you will be dishing out very little of it. Not to get all philosophical but what makes something a favor? There's almost always something in it for the giver, even if it's just to feel better about themselves. imo!
Another ludicrous claim. Whether or not anybody is ever 100% altruistic is as you say a philosophical question. What isn't philosophical is a basic distinction between a sale and a favor. If you'd permit yourself a bit of intellectual honesty you'd see that right away.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
http://saverocity.com/pfdigest/another-darn-blogs-like-list/
"It’s not hard to find hand-wringing about bloggers selling out and prioritizing money over content. Dan’s Deals shows that that being commercial (and presumably profitable) isn’t ipso facto a bad thing. It’s interesting that while many people hate on certain other sites that shall remain nameless here, there aren’t too many who hate on Dan. He puts a lot of great deals and information out there, plus the forums there have some stuff you won’t find anywhere else on the interwebs."
Guess he'll have to change that if he visits this thread ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Malachi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2015, 03:35:49 PM »
I'm shocked this thread hasn't been deleted yet. The Mercedes Benz card is a great card that almost never sees the light of day on the main site. Do I mind? No, this blog is a business. I would do the exact same thing and so would 98% of other people. 
Denny Crane

Offline incendia

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
please google it
I once quoted from TBB and it got deleted in seconds...  :P

I did google it
tbb get me results for Threading Building Blocks

and tif gets me results for Tiffany & co (currently trading at 88.25 down 0.17 for the day)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »

I did google it

and tif gets me results for Tiffany & co (currently trading at 88.25 down 0.17 for the day)

Read the previous page again. I gave you the link.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »

I did google it
+1
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2015, 03:37:22 PM »
And guess who else enabled that....Chase and AMEX. Do you have hakaras hatov for them too? Or are they just conducting their business for their own good and you're benefiting.
And don't tell me you do have hakaras hatov for them. When was the last time you consistently worked behind the back of a guy you ave a hakaras hatov to and milk from him hundreds of dollars of value of what is clearly not his intention to give to you in the way you're getting it (churning, MS, etc.)

Good question: We're in chinuch during a big chunk of the day, I'm sure that there are parallels there. 
(we work hard so that our students benefit. It takes years and it benefits them and the financial office.

We do not reap financial rewards based on performance. We do the best we can in no pay/overtime and often 10-12 years later, the talmidim appreciate and have an inkling of what they've learned from us and from being in the classroom....) So, yes, we "worked behind the back of a guy you have a hakaras hatov to". So do many Shluchim --  All the time.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2015, 03:37:42 PM »
There's an obvious difference between having hakaras hatov (read: to someone who did a favor for you) and appreciating a mutually beneficial business service (definitely not hakaras hatov).

And the 3rd category is people who tremendously benefit from a site at no cost and in return wickedly besmirch and accuse its owner. Please find your favorite blog and GO THERE.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »
When a doctor heals me I have hakaras hatov.
When a teacher teaches me I have hakaras hatov.
When a business goes out of its way to accommodate a request of mine I have hakaras hatov.
When a waiter gives me good service I have hakaras hatov.
When my accountant does a good job on my taxes I have hakaras hatov.

The fact that all of those people are getting paid has nothing to do with it.  I mean that's really twisted.

Offline incendia

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
Read the previous page again. I gave you the link.

I saw that thanks

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2015, 03:40:44 PM »
And the 3rd category is people who tremendously benefit from a site at no cost and in return wickedly besmirch and accuse its owner. Please find your favorite blog and GO THERE.
This has nothing to do with besmirching. I am not speaking negatively of Dan nor of Chase or AMEX. All I'm saying is that they're all the same-providing a service that benefits others for their own gain. Though i admit Dan is probably a good deal more altruistic than Chase is, he still is just a businessman. if that's besmirching to you that's an issue. That's called reality.