Topic Wiki

• DansDeals.com is a business. This may shock you, but it is true.
  • Dan is apparently NOT a deity[Citation needed].
  • Dan is not the Messiah.
  • Dan IS a Tzadik[1][2].
  • There may be other credit cards you may apply for that have not been featured on Dans Deals.
  • Dans Deals is a business.
  • It is not proper to show appreciation to Dan, as he is running a business.
  • You may not find a use for every Ebay or Amazon deal posted on Dans Deals.
  • Chaim M and Dan are old friends who learned together in Yeshiva. They have never argued.
  • Dan is responsible for his fans' behavior.
  • Dans Deals is a business.
  • Meshugener is not crazy anymore. Boruch Ropheh Cholim.
  • the DansDeals.com domain name was previously owned by someone else. Why did they give it up? Did they meet an untimely end? We might never know what shady past lies behind Dans Deals, which is a business, btw.

Author Topic: Consumer Advocate Attacks Credit Card/Points Blogs  (Read 71417 times)

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Consumer Advocate Attacks Credit Card/Points Blogs
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=25254.0
"If the blogger contributes something of value despite being beholden they'll likely be rewarded by their readers. Simple as that."

I guess this is the Thank You???? :o
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »

If you restrict your hakaros hatov to "pure selfless giving" scenarios you will be dishing out very little of it. Not to get all philosophical but what makes something a favor? There's almost always something in it for the giver, even if it's just to feel better about themselves. imo!
well said, hakaras hatov has little to do with the sacrifices of the giver.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
Another ludicrous claim. Whether or not anybody is ever 100% altruistic is as you say a philosophical question. What isn't philosophical is a basic distinction between a sale and a favor. If you'd permit yourself a bit of intellectual honesty you'd see that right away.

In a sale, actual money changes hands. On the spectrum of selfish, a sale is indeed further to the right than a favor which lacks money, I do grant you that. How's that for intellectual honestly :). I was the one who said earlier that money is the prime motivator behind all human behavior.

I am merely pointing out that a favor- which lacks a transference of money- there may exist a transference of other unquantifiable/intangible assets. It's not healthy to look at the world that way IMO, and better to appreciate everything you take enjoyment/pleasure out of than (almost) nothing.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
In a sale, actual money changes hands. On the spectrum of selfish, a sale is indeed further to the right than a favor which lacks money, I do grant you that. How's that for intellectual honestly :). I was the one who said earlier that money is the prime motivator behind all human behavior.

I am merely pointing out that a favor- which lacks a transference of money- there may exist a transference of other unquantifiable/intangible assets. It's not healthy to look at the world that way IMO, and better to appreciate everything you take enjoyment/pleasure out of than (almost) nothing.
Indeed, someone who you keep getting favors from without repayment in kind is unlikely to keep doing them if they're not immediate family.

To think that hakaras hatov is only for pure altruism is poor chinuch and a poor worldview IMHO.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
When a doctor heals me I have hakaras hatov.
When a teacher teaches me I have hakaras hatov.
When a business goes out of its way to accommodate a request of mine I have hakaras hatov.
When a waiter gives me good service I have hakaras hatov.
When my accountant does a good job on my taxes I have hakaras hatov.

The fact that all of those people are getting paid has nothing to do with it.  I mean that's really twisted.
No that's basic gratitude, not hakaras hatov. Who is the first person about which the concept of hakaras hatov is mentioend? Its Adam Harishon who's called a kafui tovah because Hashem gave him everything and he still did what he did. It's also mentioned about the relationship of a child to his parents. Show me where it says the concept of hakaras hatov anywhere in a business sense. The feelings of gratitude you mention are not hakaras hatov but basic human feelings by which you're thankful to someone who provided a service to you, the same way the doctor is grateful you came to him and not his competitor.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2015, 03:47:42 PM »
Sheesh you guys! We live in a free market society, if someone doesn't like the way Dan runs things feel free to ask for a refund of your AF (prorated of course)...

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2015, 03:50:35 PM »
I'm going to go off track here for a min. Someone mentioned that there are great cards that Dan doesn't post on DDMS. I don't know if this is true or not, and even if it is I have no issue. His site he can post what he likes. But truly out of my own selfish desire can anyone put together a list of cards that are awesome that are not on DDMS. I will have true hakaores hatov to you - I promise. TIA.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »
Its Adam Harishon who's called a kafui tovah because Hashem gave him everything and he still did what he did.
I've got news for you.
G-d desired to dwell in this, the lowlist of all world he created, among mankind, doing his commandments. Indeed that was the whole purpose of creation.

So giving Adam everything wasn't 100% altruistic :P
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »
I'm going to go off track here for a min. Someone mentioned that there are great cards that Dan doesn't post on DDMS. I don't know if this is true or not, and even if it is I have no issue. His site he can post what he likes. But truly out of my own selfish desire can anyone put together a list of cards that are awesome that are not on DDMS. I will have true hakaores hatov to you - I promise. TIA.
Just reed DDF. Everything under the sun has already been posted.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
Indeed, someone who you keep getting favors from without repayment in kind is unlikely to keep doing them if they're not immediate family.

To think that hakaras hatov is only for pure altruism is poor chinuch and a poor worldview IMHO.
Hakaras hatov and gratitude to someone you exchange a service with is not the same thing. I mean seriously, do you have hakaras hatov to Verizon for providing you with phone service? What about Comcast for your cable or google for providing search capabilities? i mean come on , be honest. You can be happy they provide you with this but to claim you have real hakaras hatov to your phone company is not exactly believable.

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »
Though i admit Dan is probably a good deal more altruistic than Chase is........
Then why do you compare them? He started as NFP, a lot of the stuff he does is still NFP and even when he does benefit, he has his readers' best interests in mind. If that doesn't deserve hakaras hatoiv, you surely don't deserve any for "enlightening" us.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Hakaras hatov and gratitude to someone you exchange a service with is not the same thing. I mean seriously, do you have hakaras hatov to Verizon for providing you with phone service? What about Comcast for your cable or google for providing search capabilities? i mean come on , be honest. You can be happy they provide you with this but to claim you have real hakaras hatov to your phone company is not exactly believable.

Do I, or should I?

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
Sheesh you guys! We live in a free market society, if someone doesn't like the way Dan runs things feel free to ask for a refund of your AF (prorated of course)...

exactly  --  it's all FREE! And, he helps us, too.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
I've got news for you.
G-d desired to dwell in this, the lowlist of all world he created, among mankind, doing his commandments. Indeed that was the whole purpose of creation.

So giving Adam everything wasn't 100% altruistic :P
That's definitely way too philosophical. Certainly to claim to understand the intentions of Hashem and to claim hashem created Adam for his won good is beyond the scope of this forum.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »
I'm compiling a list of people not to do business with here on DDF.  Thanks guys for being so open about your rotten natures.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
Do I, or should I?
Aha so you're actually claiming that I need to have hakaras hatov to Verizon.

Offline ez1985

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
I am shocked knowitall hasn't jumped on Dan for spelling reed wrong. 

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
I'm compiling a list of people not to do business with here on DDF.  Thanks guys for being so open about your rotten natures.
אין מערבין פופקורן בפופקורן

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Just reed DDF. Everything under the sun has already been posted.

Keep getting side tracked by entertaining threads like this.

DDF has everything, but how do we (new - moderate ones) know which cards are awesome. Ritz-carlton worth it? PRG 50k offer? etc.?

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
I am shocked knowitall hasn't jumped on Dan for spelling reed wrong.

I think that was on purpose cmon dude