Author Topic: How to wash tzitzis without ruining them?  (Read 12951 times)

Offline youG

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: How to wash tzitzis without ruining them?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »
use the tight mesh bags without the big holes and hang dry! never had a problem. I used to use the ones with holes and my strings kept getting knotted so i switched and they come out great

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2021, 02:52:41 PM »
What's the latest trick to wash a regular pair of cotton Tzizzus?

I usually put it in a mesh bag (the hole's in the mesh bag are small enough that the Tzizzus string's don't sneak out mid wash).
    They usually come out perfectly clean and white, while I'm washing it for the בגד which gets yellow and dirty from wearing it on a constant basis and doing exercise while having them on.
  Now the strings do end up getting a yellow color tint when washing the strings, my real problem is the ends of the Tzizzus string's starting to fray after coming out of the wash.
   I thought a special Tzizzus bag from Keter which I bought last week for $3 would do the trick and allow for the strings to be washed, but unfortunately didn't help. Strings were washed but all frayed. ( I do own a Ceramic Scissor for that purpose to trim all the ends that open up.)
   Over time the strings get short enough which requires me to buy a new pair of Tzizzus.

Though I do buy a new pair quite often, just curios if there's a way to wash often without causing the strings to fray, or a glue or something that's used to put on the end of the strings to keep it from fraying?

They do make a plastic piece for $10 or so that you wrap around to keep the Tzizzus from fraying. I guess I'll have to try that next, though I skipped that gadget because I wanted the strings to get washed as well.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
Why not hand hash?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2021, 03:16:19 PM »
Why not hand hash?
I'm sure that's an option, but was hoping to be able to throw In the wash.

Though I do iron the בגד afterwards and the strings to make it look like a new pair of Tzizzus after removing all the wrinkles.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2021, 07:22:32 PM »

I usually put it in a mesh bag (the hole's in the mesh bag are small enough that the Tzizzus string's don't sneak out mid wash).
    They usually come out perfectly clean and white, while I'm washing it for the בגד which gets yellow and dirty from wearing it on a constant basis and doing exercise while having them on.
  Now the strings do end up getting a yellow color tint when washing the strings, my real problem is the ends of the Tzizzus string's starting to fray after coming out of the wash.
   I thought a special Tzizzus bag from Keter which I bought last week for $3 would do the trick and allow for the strings to be washed, but unfortunately didn't help. Strings were washed but all frayed. ( I do own a Ceramic Scissor for that purpose to trim all the ends that open up.)
   Over time the strings get short enough which requires me to buy a new pair of Tzizzus.

Though I do buy a new pair quite often, just curios if there's a way to wash often without causing the strings to fray, or a glue or something that's used to put on the end of the strings to keep it from fraying?

They do make a plastic piece for $10 or so that you wrap around to keep the Tzizzus from fraying. I guess I'll have to try that next, though I skipped that gadget because I wanted the strings to get washed as well.
So basically you’re looking to buy something to have your Tzitzis clean with strings attached...

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »
Fold tzitzis a couple of times so that all the strings are together (and straight). Take a light colored knee-high (or cut one leg off of an old pair of stockings) and pull it up over the strings. Tie on with a pony holder at the top of the strings and wash in the washing machine.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2021, 11:02:58 PM »
Fold tzitzis a couple of times so that all the strings are together (and straight). Take a light colored knee-high (or cut one leg off of an old pair of stockings) and pull it up over the strings. Tie on with a pony holder at the top of the strings and wash in the washing machine.
Works but I find the ends still fray.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2021, 11:52:52 PM »
I first rub the strings with plain bar soap, then put them into a sock, knot the sock, and wash them on a gentle cycle.  The strings still get slightly frayed, but much less.  On the average, the tzitzis in our house get replaced every year or two.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2021, 02:09:48 AM »
Better question, what glue do they use to hold the strings together?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Offline stmark

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2021, 08:45:55 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEOVWRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

best thing ever!
Wash use this thing. line dry.  knots stay tight. after the wash give the knots a tug as its better to tighten them when wet.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEOVWRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

best thing ever!
Wash use this thing. line dry.  knots stay tight. after the wash give the knots a tug as its better to tighten them when wet.
I guess I'll pick one up in the Sefarim store later today. Thanks guys.