Topic Wiki

Creation vs. Evolution

Creation

• Evolutionary theory rests on precepts set out by old, obsolete book written over a hundred years ago
  • Scientifically corroborated by numerous peer-reviewed Facebook posts
  • Banana flawlessly designed for use as fake phone
  • Bible verses about molecular mutation and generational metamorphosis in allele frequencies clearly allegorical
  • Nine electoral votes in Alabama
  • Results of natural selection experiments have only been reproduced a few thousand times in a laboratory
  • Archaeopteryx way too awesome to have evolved into shitty birds of today
  • Far easier to understand than evolution

Evolution

• Personal feud with God
  • Saw frog evolve from pollywog
  • Distinct morphological similarities between ancient Neanderthal and Trent
  • Nice to think we actually distantly related to family dog
  • Want to see how much more upright next figure in evolutionary chart will be standing
  • That one Star Trek: Voyager episode where helmsman Tom Paris goes through rapid evolution
  • Dazzling oratorical genius of Clarence Darrow
  • Universe was created out of nothing billions of years ago, which you’ll just have to trust us on

Source: The Onion

Author Topic: Evolution and the age of the universe  (Read 49272 times)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution and the age of the universe
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:07 AM »
So they plugged one gap, those who like the G-D of the gaps line of reasoning will never run out of gaps...
That's exactly what I was saying. The title of the article is ridiculous. It is simply click-bait
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
That's exactly what I was saying. The title of the article is ridiculous. It is simply click-bait
Exactly what I said, all hype and no content. It doesn't explain anything, it doesn't describe any theory, all it says is "There is a theory that disproves God".

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
Exactly what I said, all hype and no content. It doesn't explain anything, it doesn't describe any theory, all it says is "There is a theory that disproves God".
I disagree. If true, it would explain how life begins (exactly what a theory is supposed to do). The god point is dumb in the title and if you read through the article, it is clearly secondary if not less important.

"But England’s theory marks the first time that has been convincingly proposed since Darwin, and is backed by mathematical research and a proposal that can be put to the test"

That makes it a valid theory, and I am extremely curious to see the results of said test, as well as more details of the mathematical research. The article does not present either of those.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2015, 11:31:01 AM »
I disagree. If true, it would explain how life begins (exactly what a theory is supposed to do). The god point is dumb in the title and if you read through the article, it is clearly secondary if not less important.

"But England’s theory marks the first time that has been convincingly proposed since Darwin, and is backed by mathematical research and a proposal that can be put to the test"

That makes it a valid theory, and I am extremely curious to see the results of said test, as well as more details of the mathematical research. The article does not present either of those.
Again. The article didn't say anything about the theory other than the fact that it exists. What is the thory? How does it overcome the problems we had until now? The article doesn't explain anything. (besides for the fact that as you mentioned, the source of the article makes it highly suspect...)

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2015, 11:37:04 AM »
Again. The article didn't say anything about the theory other than the fact that it exists. What is the thory? How does it overcome the problems we had until now? The article doesn't explain anything. (besides for the fact that as you mentioned, the source of the article makes it highly suspect...)
"when a group of atoms is exposed for a long time to a source of energy, it will restructure itself to dissipate more energy."
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
Observing gravity does not confirm or deny the theory. It is observing predictions of the theroy that confirms it. It is observing things like the perihelion of mercury that confirms it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_general_relativity#Perihelion_precession_of_Mercury
Huh? I said

Correct.  The primary difference between them is the prediction of the Theory of Gravity is repeatedly demonstrable to be true.  Anyone can observe it countless times a day.  No one has ever observed evolution.

As far as your second statement, that is blatantly untrue. 

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html

"The origin of new species by evolution has also been observed, both in the laboratory and in the wild. See, for example, (Weinberg, J.R., V.R. Starczak, and D. Jorg, 1992, "Evidence for rapid speciation following a founder event in the laboratory." Evolution 46: 1214-1220). The "Observed Instances of Speciation" FAQ in the talk.origins archives gives several additional examples.

Without reading it, I can guarantee that any  "Instances of Speciation" use highly creative definitions of speciation.

Even without these direct observations, it would be wrong to say that evolution hasn't been observed. Evidence isn't limited to seeing something happen before your eyes. Evolution makes predictions about what we would expect to see in the fossil record, comparative anatomy, genetic sequences, geographical distribution of species, etc.,

You have declared my statement blatantly untrue by stretching the meaning of "observe," perhaps beyond it's limits. 
Observation is a type of evidence.  Not all evidence is observation. Observations supporting evolution are not the same as observing evolution.

I simply meant to point out that while one can observe the prediction of the Theory of Gravity,  one cannot observe the primary prediction of the Theory of Evolution -that speciation occurs, creating widely diverse species.
and these predictions have been verified many times over.

This is debatable. It depends on your definition of verified.

The number of observations supporting evolution is overwhelming."
This is subjective.  It doesn't overwhelm me.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »
"when a group of atoms is exposed for a long time to a source of energy, it will restructure itself to dissipate more energy."
OK I'll take that as a teaser.

I don't know I guess I'm asking for too much from what's essentially just a pop-science article. Whatever...

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »

You have declared my statement blatantly untrue by stretching the meaning of "observe," perhaps beyond it's limits. 
Observation is a type of evidence.  Not all evidence is observation. Observations supporting evolution are not the same as observing evolution.

"In organisms with short generation times (e.g., bacteria or fruit flies), we can actually observe evolution in action over the course of an experiment. And in some cases, biologists have observed evolution occurring in the wild. To learn more about rapid evolution in the wild, visit our news story on climate change, our news story on the evolution of PCB-resistant fish, or our research profile on the evolution fish size in response to our fishing practices. To learn more about the nature of science, visit the Understanding Science website."
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
OK I'll take that as a teaser.

I don't know I guess I'm asking for too much from what's essentially just a pop-science article. Whatever...
Exactly how i felt.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »

So when they expose a bunch of atoms to a source of energy for a long time and they become a plant,  the prediction of this theory with have been observed.  When that it observed repeatedly, the theory will approach the status of theories like the Theory of Relativity.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:59:45 PM by Boruch999 »

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »

So when the expose a bunch of atoms to a source of energy for a long time and they become a plant,  the prediction of this theory with have been observed.  When that it observed repeatedly, the theory will approach the status of theories like the Theory of Relativity.

The plant life is ridiculous. As Achas said it's a pop Sci piece. But what you said is true. Till then it's more hypothesis than theory
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »
"In organisms with short generation times (e.g., bacteria or fruit flies), we can actually observe evolution in action over the course of an experiment. And in some cases, biologists have observed evolution occurring in the wild. To learn more about rapid evolution in the wild, visit our news story on climate change, our news story on the evolution of PCB-resistant fish, or our research profile on the evolution fish size in response to our fishing practices. To learn more about the nature of science, visit the Understanding Science website."

No fruit fly became a new type of insect that was not a fruit fly.  No bacterium has yet  split into two insects. Fish  offspring that are resistant to PCB are not a new species.  Fish of different size are not different species.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »
No fruit fly became a new type of insect that was not a fruit fly.  No bacterium has yet  split into two insects. Fish  offspring that are resistant to PCB are not a new species.  Fish of different size are not different species.
Nobody said it split into a new species, but evolution was observed. It's steps not sudden transformation.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »
Nobody said it split into a new species, but evolution was observed. It's steps not sudden transformation.
Boruch is talking about the difference between micro-evolution (evolution within species to make them fitter) that happens all the time and macro-evolution (one species mutating into a new species) which has never been observed yet.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »

You are calling small, relatively insignificant changes evolution, and saying that that is evidence that big, significant changes also occur.

In 150 years, no series of steps has resulted in a new species. To me, that leaves evolution an unproven hypothesis.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »

You are calling small, relatively insignificant changes evolution, and saying that that is evidence that big, significant changes also occur.

In 150 years, no series of steps has resulted in a new species. To me, that leaves evolution an unproven hypothesis.

150 years doesn't seem like enough time for macro evolution.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
Now you understand the problem with calling macro evolution a fact.

That was solved easily enough. That website added nothing to this conversation.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 26, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »

If that's the case, then no one has observed it.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »
Boruch is talking about the difference between micro-evolution (evolution within species to make them fitter) that happens all the time and macro-evolution (one species mutating into a new species) which has never been observed yet.

It is not clear that these small changes make them fitter. 

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2011/02/does_speedy_evolution_of_pcb_r044221.html

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:49 PM »
It is not clear that these small changes make them fitter. 

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2011/02/does_speedy_evolution_of_pcb_r044221.html
::)
Fitter for the environment they're in...