Author Topic: Rabbis Who Bash Dansdeals Master Thread.  (Read 26879 times)

Offline Cowboysuk

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rabbis Who Bash Dansdeals Master Thread.
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Cool. Did you ever find X or I classes with different inventory levels?
now THAT would be a game changer

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
Dan, I booked it and admit its not 100% kosher

I dont understand how you can try to defend this, really not. This is yeshivishe lomdische Dreys!!!!

You (and I mean everyone including myself) told them that your billing adress was in Denmark, that was a lie. Just because they let Cleveland pass with country denmark, you are stll lying. I dont understand how you can whitewash this, really not

Offline clear thinker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
Not sure where u people Daven, but B'H my Rav has better things to talk about in his Drasha than Airline glitches
+++++

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
Dan, I booked it and admit its not 100% kosher

I dont understand how you can try to defend this, really not. This is yeshivishe lomdische Dreys!!!!

You (and I mean everyone including myself) told them that your billing adress was in Denmark, that was a lie. Just because they let Cleveland pass with country denmark, you are stll lying. I dont understand how you can whitewash this, really not

The fact of the matter is in order to be charged in another currency, either because you get a better price in Kroner, or because you simply like paying in a currency beginning with the letter K, one has to select Denmark in the drop down.

Personally, I didn't even read what it says before selecting Denmark. (And even if I had, I believe there is an argument to be made that there is no misrepresentation being made.)

So, unless you can show me a law, regulation, or a term in the UA CoC which prohibits choosing another currency in which to pay, I will maintain that purchasers did nothing wrong.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
The fact of the matter is in order to be charged in another currency, either because you get a better price in Kroner, or because you simply like paying in a currency beginning with the letter K, one has to select Denmark in the drop down.

Personally, I didn't even read what it says before selecting Denmark. (And even if I had, I believe there is an argument to be made that there is no misrepresentation being made.)

So, unless you can show me a law, regulation, or a term in the UA CoC which prohibits choosing another currency in which to pay, I will maintain that purchasers did nothing wrong.
It's what's called a white lie. Now is that assur according to Halacha-maybe yes, maybe no-I don't know. Would I have booked it had I needed a ticket? Yes I probably would have. But that doesn't mean it's 100% kosher. In fact the whole cc points/churning industry is not 100% kosher because you're using the system the way it wasn't intended. Now again, is that outright wrong? I think not, and I act on that thought. But I'm not going to say it's the cleanest thing either.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2015, 11:46:13 PM »
Just because you want to pay in a certain currency, that doesn't give you the right to do whatever it takes for it. They offer this service for people with a billing adress in denmark (prob, so they can purchase without fx fees)
They asked clearly for the billing country and you lied. Your billing country is not denmark! Everything else is yeshivishe justification

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2015, 11:57:25 PM »
Call it whatever you want, but until you show me that paying for my ticket in Kroner violated a law, regulation, or term of UA's CoC, the fact remains that it's not prohibited.

Further, once selecting Denmark to get the ability to pay in Kroner--again something which is not prohibited--I didn't lie one bit when filling out my CC info. UA processed it, accepted it, and sent me a confirmation of my purchase in Kroner.

Lastly, if what you're saying is accurate, UA would have cancelled on the basis of "lies and fraud."  Except they didnt. They cancelled them due a 3rd party error.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2015, 12:00:03 AM »
Just because you want to pay in a certain currency, that doesn't give you the right to do whatever it takes for it. They offer this service for people with a billing adress in denmark (prob, so they can purchase without fx fees)
They asked clearly for the billing country and you lied. Your billing country is not denmark! Everything else is yeshivishe justification
Yeshivish justification...good term pretty much sums it up. I do have to say though that given that it's not black and white I eoukd myself do it-the airlines rip us off so much they deserve this kind of stuff.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:30 AM »
Yeshivish justification...good term pretty much sums it up.
And I'll disagree with that. Again, to me it sounds like they are giving you scenarios when you would be paying in a foreign currency. That doesn't need those are the exclusive reasons. Let's say I work in new York for a danish firm using an American CC which will be reimbursed by my company and therefore I want to be billed in Kroners. Am I prohibited from paying in Kroner's? I am not in Denmark nor billing to a danish CC?

I do have to say though that given that it's not black and white I eoukd myself do it-the airlines rip us off so much they deserve this kind of stuff.
And this to me is ridiculous. If you really believe something is wrong, it's OK to do it to someone who was not nice to you? That's just plain old silly and something my five year old would do
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2015, 12:08:50 AM »
And I'll disagree with that. Again, to me it sounds like they are giving you scenarios when you would be paying in a foreign currency. That doesn't need those are the exclusive reasons. Let's say I work in new York for a danish firm using an American CC which will be reimbursed by my company and therefore I want to be billed in Kroners. Am I prohibited from paying in Kroner's? I am not in Denmark nor billing to a danish CC?
And this to me is ridiculous. If you really believe something is wrong, it's OK to do it to someone who was not nice to you? That's just plain old silly and something my five year old would do
No as I said it may not be wrong but it's also not right. It's iffy.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2015, 12:10:13 AM »
No as I said it may not be wrong but it's also not right. It's iffy.
This thread would seem to confirm that.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 12:13:12 AM »
And the reasoning is perfectly valid. If it's a mom and pop business struggling to get by and provide good service, I'd think twice before taking advantage of them in such an iffy case. But given that united makes billions in squeezing it's customers to get every penny, no sympathy-and taking advantage of them in iffy cases is fine.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »
Not sure where u people Daven, but B'H my Rav has better things to talk about in his Drasha than Airline glitches
If the Rav felt that this was a violation of yashrus, is this not a good segue into that topic? Or is yashrus not important enough a topic for your Rav to discuss?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2015, 12:18:15 AM »
And the reasoning is perfectly valid. If it's a mom and pop business struggling to get by and provide good service, I'd think twice before taking advantage of them in such an iffy case. But given that united makes billions in squeezing it's customers to get every penny, no sympathy-and taking advantage of them in iffy cases is fine.

You are making very little sense
Two wrongs don't make a right

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:02 AM »
As I've pointed out, it's not outright wrong. Not everything is black and white. Given the "gray" nature of this issue other things can be taken in to consideration in determining whether certain situations are more right or more wrong.

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »
Every time I see DKK I think of DPRK. Lol

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »
I'd think twice out of sympathy. Not because I feel that I am not entitled to take advantage. With UAL, Smisek, along with the rest of the industry I'd take advantage to sympathize with the travel community.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:31 AM »
Think about it. If your local supermarket (and I don't mean like in NYC, but in a smaller town place where you know the people running the place) priced things incorrectly would you rush to buy up the whole store? Probably not. In iffy situations emotions and outside circumstances do have a role.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2015, 12:26:34 AM »
I'd think twice out of sympathy. Not because I feel that I am not entitled to take advantage. With UAL, Smisek, along with the rest of the industry I'd take advantage to sympathize with the travel community.
Exactly my point. Sympathy does play a role in cases like this-and UAL doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy.

Offline high end hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2015, 06:59:14 AM »
isn't this thread about rabbinical law and not civil law? its not posted lawyers who bash dansdeals.
now i'm no posek but this case seems to be exactly the example of the alter rebbe in hilchos gezaliah seif 4. (based on bava kamma 113)
can someone explain me the heter?