Author Topic: GoDaven GPS add-on  (Read 8270 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: GoDaven GPS add-on
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
I have igo loaded on my phone, offline and gives turn by turn directions
When i used to use a GPS i had a Mio with iGO programmed. Between some of the software i downloaded is maps of 114 countries, go daven, Montreal kosher list, speeding cameras, hatzolah maps, and more.
Never heard of iGo before. When your offline, how does it know where you are? Is iGo just the software for the maps, or the actual maps? How does it compare to the Google maps, Waze, and the standalone GPS systems (Garmin, TomTom, etc.)? Where did you get list of speeding cameras?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »

Never heard of iGo before. When your offline, how does it know where you are? Is iGo just the software for the maps, or the actual maps? How does it compare to the Google maps, Waze, and the standalone GPS systems (Garmin, TomTom, etc.)? Where did you get list of speeding cameras?

My phone has some kind of technology called "GPS" which tells my phone where it is.
Igo is the app, and the maps are formatted for the Igo app.
Google maps and waze are definitely better as its updated constantly and has live traffic info, but its just like garmin and tomtom as its uses the same map info, it just has a different UI. GIYF for the camera data

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 01:17:03 PM »

My phone has some kind of technology called "GPS" which tells my phone where it is.
Igo is the app, and the maps are formatted for the Igo app.
Google maps and waze are definitely better as its updated constantly and has live traffic info, but its just like garmin and tomtom as its uses the same map info, it just has a different UI. GIYF for the camera data
I'm a bit confused; you wrote you use it offline. Doesn't the technology called "GPS" on a phone need a data connection?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
I'm a bit confused; you wrote you use it offline. Doesn't the technology called "GPS" on a phone need a data connection?
The GPS is standalone and doesn't require a data connection, its the map app/software that requires the data connection. Hence the garmin/tomtom GPS works without any data connection.
Except maybe if you phone only has GPS-A which could require a data connection

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »
The GPS technology does not need data however it needs data or WiFi to map a route or recalculate
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 01:35:37 PM »
The GPS technology does not need data however it needs data or WiFi to map a route or recalculate
Seems like CHFF is saying if you download the maps you don't need a data connection.
The GPS is standalone and doesn't require a data connection, its the map app/software that requires the data connection. Hence the garmin/tomtom GPS works without any data connection.
Except maybe if you phone only has GPS-A which could require a data connection
Is there a way to download the maps and just use the Waze for traffic info? The points would be to use much less data. Anyone know how much data waze uses?

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »

Seems like CHFF is saying if you download the maps you don't need a data connection.Is there a way to download the maps and just use the Waze for traffic info? The points would be to use much less data.

Waze doesn't allow to save offline, Google Maps does have an option to download some maps, which I have used in the past for walking directions

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
@chff
I didn't like the Navigator app. Out gave me turn by turn directions a minute after I had to make the turn...

Care to share the igo apk?
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »
@chff
I didn't like the Navigator app. Out gave me turn by turn directions a minute after I had to make the turn...

Care to share the igo apk?
Which phone do you have? Its a complicated setup, and depending on the maps its could be a few gig
Checkout http://gpsunderground.com/forum/gps-navigation-systems/igo-gps-systems/

Offline JoeCha

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
S5
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline JoeCha

• View Profile