Author Topic: Why We Don't Fly With Lap Children...  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Why We Don't Fly With Lap Children...
« on: February 16, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
You don't hold your kids in a car. Why hold them on a plane over strapping them into a carseat?

http://news.yahoo.com/7-injured-hawaii-bound-flight-experiences-turbulence-144612057.html
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Why We Don't Fly With Lap Children...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
You don't hold your kids in a car. Why hold them on a plane over strapping them into a carseat?

http://news.yahoo.com/7-injured-hawaii-bound-flight-experiences-turbulence-144612057.html

In a car, it is not allowed. On a plane it is. Thats A).

B) is that it is just a fortune to pay for an infants own seat.

Now, there is no price tag for my child's safety but this is legal and approved and I should assume be AS safe as being in a seat.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:41:58 PM »
Now, there is no price tag for my child's safety but this is legal and approved and I should assume be AS safe as being in a seat.
Are you kidding?

It's legal only because the FAA is worried that people will drive over flying if they make them buy infants a carseat.
But there's no argument that it's far safer for kids to be in a carseat than being held.  Turbulence does happen.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:42:51 PM »

Umm I also don't walk around when im in my car..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:44:51 PM »
Umm I also don't walk around when im in my car..
And you don't walk in a plane when the seatbelt sign is on.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
In a car, it is not allowed. On a plane it is. Thats A).

B) is that it is just a fortune to pay for an infants own seat.

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

"Did you know that the safest place for your child on an airplane is in a government-approved child safety restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap? Your arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly urges you to secure your child in a CRS or device for the duration of your flight. It's the smart and right thing to do so that everyone in your family arrives safely at your destination. The FAA is giving you the information you need to make informed decisions about your family's travel plans."

Why is a fortune to buy an infant a seat any more than it is to buy everyone else a seat?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:46:13 PM »
And you don't walk in a plane when the seatbelt sign is on.
Officially.....
I realized that point after posting.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »
http://faa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29/kw/child/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyNDEzNzYyNS9zaWQvVnhtRHViZm0%3D

"The FAA does not require the use of CRS's on commercial airplanes because a mandate would require parents to purchase an extra airline ticket for their child, forcing some families who can't afford the extra ticket to drive, a statistically more dangerous way to travel. However, the FAA strongly recommends the use of CRS's or an alternative FAA-approved device based on a child's weight

If your child weighs…    Use a…
Less than 20 pounds    Rear-facing CRS
20 to 40 pounds    Forward-facing CRS
22 to 44 pounds    CARES child safety device
More than 40 pounds    Airplane seat belt"

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »
Are you kidding?

It's legal only because the FAA is worried that people will drive over flying if they make them buy infants a carseat.
But there's no argument that it's far safer for kids to be in a carseat than being held.  Turbulence does happen.

Agreed that it is probably safer. So is buying car A over car B potentially. I should hope that the reason it is legal is because it is as safe, all else equal, in a lap as in a seat if the flight goes well. Even with turbulences it should be safe otherwise I can't see how this would have ever been approved.

Them being worried cannot be the only reason it is legal. They would have been sued left and right for mega millions if there was actually a real issue. (I would think)

Best case, Id love to buy my children a seat every time I travel. It is easier on me and probably somewhat safer. But with prices where they are it is just very difficult to do. Sadly.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »
I should hope that the reason it is legal is because it is as safe, all else equal, in a lap as in a seat if the flight goes well. Even with turbulences it should be safe otherwise I can't see how this would have ever been approved.
Wrong. Read the links above.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
Why not require it on international flights ? Longer flights, no driving alternative

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 08:58:32 PM »
Why not require it on international flights ? Longer flights, no driving alternative

Was just thinking the same thing while I was brushing my teeth.

Will read them now.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »

This is ridiculous. Telling me that they can't make it mandatory because it would make me have to purchase a ticket and that I should drive which according to them is "..forcing some families who can't afford the extra ticket to drive, a statistically more dangerous way to travel.."

So they are happy to risk my child's life by letting children travel on laps BECAUSE they don't want to force families that can't afford it to have to purchase a ticket THUS making them have to drive which is MORE dangerous.

I mean this logic is SO messed up. I can't even explain.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »
Why is it messed up?
Overall it does save lives and less accidents occur on planes.

The problem is that because it's "legal" people don't realize that in case of clear air turbulence your child will survive if they're in a carseat. Otherwise YMMV.

Offline peacenlove613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
Quote from link. "Many airlines offer half-price tickets so parents can be guaranteed that their child can travel in a CRS or device."
What airlines do that?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »
Quote from link. "Many airlines offer half-price tickets so parents can be guaranteed that their child can travel in a CRS or device."
What airlines do that?
Many offer discounts on international routes for kids and infants.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
Why is it messed up?
Overall it does save lives and less accidents occur on planes.

The problem is that because it's "legal" people don't realize that in case of clear air turbulence your child will survive if they're in a carseat. Otherwise YMMV.

There should be some sort of an incentive from the airline for parents to make travels safer. It should not be an article saying its safer but rather $$ incentive. Make it easier on families so they can have peace of mind. They write that it is safer and are aware that it will make parents have to buy another full price ticket that many cant afford. Change the policy then.

Laps are around 10% of a ticket so make kids under age X not be 90% but 35%-50% of the ticket. Its not like they are not making money on the flights anyways. (If you will make your response about my last line please don't as I know you know the airline industry better. Rather am looking for a response or a take on the rest of my comment)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »

Agree with your point, but this article doesn't support it per se. None of the injured pax injured were lap children... That's besides the fact that the real reason you don't travel with lap children is probably because your wife set down the law :-)

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 09:58:21 PM »
Agree with your point, but this article doesn't support it per se. None of the injured pax injured were lap children... That's besides the fact that the real reason you don't travel with lap children is probably because your wife set down the law :-)
His wife also know as............... ;D

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 09:59:31 PM »
http://faa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29/kw/child/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyNDEzNzYyNS9zaWQvVnhtRHViZm0%3D

"The FAA does not require the use of CRS's on commercial airplanes because a mandate would require parents to purchase an extra airline ticket for their child, forcing some families who can't afford the extra ticket to drive, a statistically more dangerous way to travel.
That is some pretty twisted logic they came up with there.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss