Author Topic: Name change $200 fee?  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Name change $200 fee?
« on: February 12, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
A few weeks ago I flew with AA miles a few times, on the third flight in one week with AA they decided to not let me past security because my name was spelled differently on the ticket than my ID. The agent at the desk scribbled the different spelling on my ticket, and told me that if it doesn't work I should come back and she'll give me a gate pass. That didn't work, but when I came back, for some reason, she didn't want/wasn't able to give me a gate pass, and said I'd need to pay for a name change. It was 20 minutes before the gate closed, and the last flight from EWR before the blizzard hit NY, so I just paid the $200 name change fee with my AA card and hoped I'll be able to resolve it no problem.

I contacted American Airlines, explaining my predicament, but they won't budge, here's the response I got from them.

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. Airline tickets are nontransferable and may only be used by the customer whose name is reflected on the paper or electronic ticket. The nontransferable restriction is clearly specified on each ticket.

To comply with Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements, the full name of the passenger (as it appears on their government issued ID) must appear on the ticket.

However, we are aware that certain situations may arise which will test our policy. As a one-time exception, we made an allowances and processed the name change. Due to the costs we incur with each ticket we reissue, we apply a nonrefundable $200 change charge.

Should you have additional concerns regarding the screening process at an airport, the U.S. Department of Transportation has asked us to advise customers to contact the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) directly with feedback or issues. The TSA Consumer Response Center may be accessed toll-free at 1-866-289-9673 or you can use their convenient online customer contact form available at www.tsa.gov/contact.

Thanks for this opportunity to expound upon some of our policies and procedures with the hope that your future travel will proceed more smoothly. We look forward to welcoming you aboard again soon, and thank you for flying American.

What would you suggest I do next? Contact Citi AA? dispute the charge?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
Re: Name change $200 fee?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:58:29 PM »
Please elaborate how far off your name was from actual spelling

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
Two letters, Moses/Moshe.

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Silver. Formerly United 1K, Delta Platinum,. Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:07 AM »
What was the reason for the discrepancy? Did you just book it wrong by accident?

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:39:22 AM »
Should've claimed it was a 3rd party error.

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
I go by Moshe all over, credit cards, bank accounts, online accounts, etc. even my passport is like that, but my license says Moses, as does my SS card. It's a discrepancy that's never been taken care of because it never caused too many problems. I've flown on multiple airlines like this, never had a problem till now, I guess they understand it's the same name, just one is the biblical pronunciation, the other the phonetic Hebrew pronunciation. (Or maybe today with using my phone as the boarding pass by just scanning the barcode they usually don't look at the names so closely? idk)

How could it be a third party error if that's the way my name is on AA.com?

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:37:05 PM »
I go by Moshe all over, credit cards, bank accounts, online accounts, etc. even my passport is like that, but my license says Moses, as does my SS card. It's a discrepancy that's never been taken care of because it never caused too many problems. I've flown on multiple airlines like this, never had a problem till now, I guess they understand it's the same name, just one is the biblical pronunciation, the other the phonetic Hebrew pronunciation. (Or maybe today with using my phone as the boarding pass by just scanning the barcode they usually don't look at the names so closely? idk)
Yeah right. I can assure you its your second hypotheses.

It was a joke in reference to UA weaseling out of the glitch. Nevermind.

Offline caliheat

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 12:45:30 PM »

Perhaps traveling with said passport would be an option?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
Perhaps traveling with said passport would be an option?
That would only help me henceforth, unless you have a time machine I can use...  ;)

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »
I called up Citi, first they told me there's nothing they can do, since I have flown the flight that I paid for I can't dispute it, that I need to take it up with American. I told them the charge was not for the flight, I was charged for a name change but got a gate pass, I paid for apples and got oranges. The rep contacted AA, I don't understand exactly what went on there, she came back to me and said that she tried working on the charge with AA, but since AA wasn't able to give them some information they needed they're ruling the dispute in my favor, end of story.

I suspect that they never changed the name in the system, just gave me a gate pass, and therefore weren't able to find the name change in their system. All is well that ends well. Thanks guys for your help and moral support.  :)

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
I called up Citi, first they told me there's nothing they can do, since I have flown the flight that I paid for I can't dispute it, that I need to take it up with American. I told them the charge was not for the flight, I was charged for a name change but got a gate pass, I paid for apples and got oranges. The rep contacted AA, I don't understand exactly what went on there, she came back to me and said that she tried working on the charge with AA, but since AA wasn't able to give them some information they needed they're ruling the dispute in my favor, end of story.

I suspect that they never changed the name in the system, just gave me a gate pass, and therefore weren't able to find the name change in their system. All is well that ends well. Thanks guys for your help and moral support.  :)
b"h that ended well

Offline Mordy788

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
It's up to the airline but up to 3 letters the boarding pass can be annotated with the correct name in order to get past TSA.

This is a courtesy that the airline extends. They do not have to. Names must match your passport.

Gate passes are only issued in the most exceptional circumstances and the agent probably mistakenly told you that he/she could.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

Offline eis517

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »

I would ask for some confirmation number or something in writing if I were you.

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
I would ask for some confirmation number or something in writing if I were you.
You're right, I should have. But I've gotten the email already with the results of the dispute.

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »
I once had a name change issue that ended well

Since I booked the tickets quickly, I made a mistake in one letter of my name. I didn’t realize it until I was stopped by a TSA Agent who sent me back to change my name. The ticket agent couldn’t change it since it was booked with Avios, so he just scribbled on that letter and rewrote it right below… I then went again to Security and chose to stand on line by a different TSA Agent and he B”H let me through without any issues.

I can add that on our return flight there was the same mistake and I didn't have any problems.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 02:25:36 AM »

This is a courtesy that the airline extends. They do not have to.
I'm am so charmed, that is so sweet of them!