Author Topic: Norway Master Thread  (Read 11701 times)

Offline M3B3LY

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Norway Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2022, 06:43:23 AM »
Anything nice driving distance from OSL?

+1 about being very expensive, bear that in mind.

Around Oslo, if you want to go to the old synagogue you got to register a month in advance and they do a background check. (Just from what I saw, I personally didn't go)

I didn't stay around Oslo because from what I looked into there really wasn't a lot to do there, so wasn't worth it to hang out in that area, what there is

The Folk Museum in Oslo is nice to visit, and there’s a Viking museum not far from there.

I would highly suggest, you take the train from oslo to bergen, you'll get the most amazing ride of your life, takes about 7 hours, it's usually 100$ for a one way ticket.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2022, 03:02:15 PM »
The Oslo Synagogue isn’t that old, it was build 100 years ago (they just celebrated the centennial and it had to be restored after WWII, with a modern adjacent structure extending that Shul added in the 1980s. There is another Shul from around the same period that serves as the Jewish museum today and doesn’t have those onerous requirements to visit, you can just show up during opening hours.

You can also show up to Shul for davening on Shabbos but are best off being in touch before Shabbos as they’ll probably want to see your passport. I doubt they require a month advance notice.

If you’re looking for Jewish history in Europe Scandinavia isn’t near the top of the list.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2022, 12:53:44 AM »
How is the weather in beginning of July?  Shows lot of rain now.  Debating to join a kosher tour

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2022, 02:56:25 AM »
How is the weather in beginning of July?  Shows lot of rain now.  Debating to join a kosher tour

Everything North in Europe is unpredictable.
I was close to 2 weeks in Norway during my crazy flying and it was sunny non-stop.
That being said, I was told it's unusual.
Personally, as Norway is so incredibly beautiful, I'd take the risk.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2022, 02:59:17 AM »
We would have gone to the tromsø area, but doesn't seem worth it, you have any suggestions of what's a must on my bucket list over there?

If you are Chabad, Tromsø might have a totally different meaning, if the story I heard holds truth.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2022, 03:04:30 AM »

BOO!

Not sure why I'm only seeing all this now...
I'll have to do some introspection, and restart my Norway trip again with the right kavonos...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2022, 09:25:49 AM »
If you are Chabad, Tromsø might have a totally different meaning, if the story I heard holds truth.

@SuperFlyer what story did you hear?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2022, 09:38:26 AM »
@SuperFlyer what story did you hear?

I've heard that while Chabad is famous for its outreach, it is only the last rabbi who made this worldwide and to such enormous proportions.

The reason I was told, is that the Germans ymsh"v during WWII used their precious train-cargo capacity which is detrimental to supply the frontlines, to send it all the way up north to Tromsø to pick up 500 Jews living there.
500 Jews, the way they were cramped together is called a waste of a trainload ( = many wagons would remain empty).
So I've heard that the Rebbe said that we should learn from them, that if they are willing to go to such great length, to deport Jews, we have to go even further to bring Jews back.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2022, 10:08:01 AM »
I've heard that while Chabad is famous for its outreach, it is only the last rabbi who made this worldwide and to such enormous proportions.

The reason I was told, is that the Germans ymsh"v during WWII used their precious train-cargo capacity which is detrimental to supply the frontlines, to send it all the way up north to Tromsø to pick up 500 Jews living there.
500 Jews, the way they were cramped together is called a waste of a trainload ( = many wagons would remain empty).
So I've heard that the Rebbe said that we should learn from them, that if they are willing to go to such great length, to deport Jews, we have to go even further to bring Jews back.

I don’t believe he specifically referenced the Tromsø incident, that was probably just fluff/an example by the person sharing the idea.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2022, 03:49:41 PM »
I don’t believe he specifically referenced the Tromsø incident, that was probably just fluff/an example by the person sharing the idea.

That's your gut feeling?

It's actually a very good example, and makes a lot of sense.

I heard Tromsø many years back, before this forum existed.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2022, 04:25:01 PM »
That's your gut feeling?

It's actually a very good example, and makes a lot of sense.

I heard Tromsø many years back, before this forum existed.

I didn’t say it wasn’t a good example, I said I didn’t think the Rebbe specified it.

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2022, 11:02:56 PM »

+1.
definitely was not a central point. 99.9% it was never said in a public setting. perhaps to someone privately in a certain context.

also to be accurate the outreach started at least from the 5th Rebbe sending Shuchim to Uzbekistan, Georgia, kavkaz and crimea. The 6th Rebbe also sent many Shluchim including in many places in the US, europe, north africa etc. then the Rebbe took it to the next level.

but let's get back to Norway. trmso is really cool place to visit :)

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2022, 11:14:35 AM »
I didn’t say it wasn’t a good example, I said I didn’t think the Rebbe specified it.

Okay, nice to be amongst oracles ;-)

Offline stevenk

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2023, 12:03:38 PM »
I'm looking to hire a travel agent/planner to assist in planning a 7 day summer trip (end July-Beg Aug) with my wife to Norway (Fjord region) and than another country within a 2 hour direct flight. Any assistance or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »
I'm looking to hire a travel agent/planner to assist in planning a 7 day summer trip (end July-Beg Aug) with my wife to Norway (Fjord region) and than another country within a 2 hour direct flight. Any assistance or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Did you end up doing this trip?