Author Topic: Netanyahu's speech to Congress 3/3/15  (Read 29667 times)

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Netanyahu's speech to Congress 3/3/15
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2015, 11:13:06 PM »
Lets cut the BS. The US gets trashed all the time on this forum for not doing more for Israel. If it makes you feel better to use your President as the fall guy then go ahead. I wonder how many Americans have died because of our support of Israel?
Enlighten me: how many?

Offline clear thinker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2015, 11:15:30 PM »
she needs a CT scan.

Its not the US's inteligence he's criticizing, its our willingness to do what needs to be done.

I get nauseas from this stuff, I really do
+ a few thousand!!!

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »
Wow, he got on my nerves too! But it's only because I didn't get his jokes when everybody else did.
Jokes? I just didn't like the arrogant condescending tone of his previous post... (Funny how many times those 2 adjectives have been thrown around lately)

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:39 PM »
I am going to share my highly unpopular opinion here.

Iran is going to go ahead with their nuclear program no matter what. The Iranian government are a bunch of ruthless thugs, but the country as a whole is technologically advanced. Nuclear bombs are OLD technology, and you can't stop a fully functioning country from developing them.

Iran has taken precautions to assure that bombing their reactors from the air is virtually impossible. Injecting viruses into their software can slow it down, but can't bring it to a stop. Putting boots on the ground in Iran is not going to happen. There is no way congress will approve boots on the ground unless Iran launches an actual attack.

This leaves us with sanctions. Sanctions won't stop their nuclear development, and even if they agree to stop, there is absolutely no way to know if they have really stopped. (And chances are that they won't.)

However, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, because I believe that at worst the Israel-Iran relationship will be much like the U.S.-Russia relationship, cold peace based on mutually assured destruction.
So if you can't beat them join them???!!
Just throw in towel??! Good old chemberline??!
Luckily u weren't around by WW2.....
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:35:40 PM by clear thinker »

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:37 PM »

1. Prime ministers of Israel have acted in brazen disregard of US presidents time and time again. Eshkol with the six day war and Begin with the Lebanon invasion come to mind.

2. Prime ministers of Israel have used the partisan in American politics time and time again for their benefit. If I had the "Prime Ministers" I would quote what Rabin said on this subject when he was ambassador to US, but you'll have to look it up yourself.

3. Who on earth ever said it was selfless???

4. I wouldn't say the survival of Israel comes first and formost. Like Netanyahu said today, it's not an Israeli issue as much as a Jewish issue. Iran will not stop at annihilating Israel.
1. I said outside of military action. This was political, not a necessary move for Israel's self defense.

2. Rabin did not say that in this context. In the book, iirc, it was in context of preparing for a change of power.

3. It was addressed to CM.

4. See 3, whether it's a Jewish problem or an Israel problem, the point remains: For an average American, it's not a primary concern. For me it is.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2015, 12:03:04 AM »
So if you can't beat them join them???!!
Just throw in towel??! Good old chemberline??!
Luckily u weren't around by 2nd ww2....

As a clear thinker, the first thing you need to think about is under what circumstances will any country wage war against Iran. After the war on Iraq, there is simply no way the U.S. congress will approve a war against foreign country without that country mobilizing an army and attacking another country without just cause. (Putin actually did just that, but Obama didn't have the gall to stop him.)

Iran made statements about wiping Israel off of the map, but never did so in an official capacity. They have never stated that they will use their nuclear program to make bombs and attack Israel. They have never mobilized their own military against Israel. (Sure, they fund various terror organizations, but that is the name of the game.) The U.S., even under republican leadership, will simply not attack Iran just for enriching uranium.

Now, you can't play the same trick twice. The Entebbe rescue operation is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and attacking and destroying Iraq's nuclear plant from the air is a once-in-a-lifetime-event. Iran has strategically built their facilities in multiple locations deep underground. Destroying these facilities will require a full-on invasion. That's right, there are no "secret missions", no "Mossad undercover operations" or "seal team six's". This will require a full on invasion. Several hundred thousand troops, thousands of tanks, hundreds of aircraft, battleships and aircraft carriers. It will also require about a trillion dollars. This, as any clear thinker knows, will absolutely never happen.

Sanctions are a formality. It may squeeze them, but it won't stop their enrichment program, and it won't stop them from making nuclear weapons. The best one can hope for is a regime change. Perhaps a more neutral government.

As for your comparison to WW2, Chamberlain threw in the towel AFTER Hitler already made his first move. Iran has not openly made any moves yet.

Does a nuclear Iran scare me? Yes. Will they be stopped? I'm not counting on it.

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2015, 12:07:09 AM »
My intention is to stick up for the US. The current president represents the US. Take a shot at either and you are not going to like what I have to say.
Are you referring to him accepting the invitation,  or something in thr content of his speech?
^^^

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2015, 12:17:24 AM »
You work with all non-Jews?
AFAIK yes. There are some Arabs. Do you want me to ask them what they thought of the speech?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:40 AM »
Enlighten me: how many?
I have no idea. Lets start with 911. Do you think that part of the reason behind the attacks stem for our support for Israel over the years?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2015, 12:28:29 AM »
What I think can be accomplished by the speech is to put extra pressure on the administration to negotiate a deal and not a giveaway. There are specific parts of the proposal supposedly on the table which he directly argued against. The president did not defend those portions but only denied there being anything really on the table. This administration has shown in the past how they are not skilled foreign negotiators. Their previous negotiations with foreign powers have yielded little. By laying things out as he did before they are fait accompli adds pressure for them to show that they can get a favorable deal.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2015, 12:28:48 AM »
I have no idea. Lets start with 911. Do you think that part of the reason behind the attacks stem for our support for Israel over the years?
no
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:07 AM »
Even Carter, the most anti Israel president of all, gave Israel arms and aid to help keep the soviets at bay. One could make the argument that in the same way the soviets used the Arabs as proxies to show off their military might, the US did and does the same with Israel.
This is the problem that I have. Calling Carter anti-Israel. Since you said most do you care to list the other presidents that were anti-Israel.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2015, 12:49:17 AM »
Are you referring to him accepting the invitation,  or something in thr content of his speech?
I did not listen to his speech just as I have not listened to hardly any Presidents speeches. If you are going to attack the president/US for not supporting Israel then I am going to tell you to take your bat and ball and go home. Some say this is following blindly. I say they are the ones that need to open their eyes.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2015, 12:50:49 AM »
I did not listen to his speech just as I have not listened to hardly any Presidents speeches. If you are going to attack the president/US for not supporting Israel
You should listen to the speech. He said the exact opposite. He praised & thanked America & he praised & thanked the president for ALWAYS being there for Israel.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:30 AM »
Chaim, I read the transcript. The first five paragraphs were PRAISE for the US and for Pres. Obama specifically.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2015, 12:59:43 AM »
@CM, please link where DDFers have said that the US doesn't do enough for Israel.
In my circles all I hear from my fellow Jews is how the US is the best country in world history to the Jews (and Israel). And our Rabbis preach to us again and again, how we must have gratitude to America for the way it treats us so much better than all other nations treated us.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2015, 01:04:52 AM »
@CM, please link where DDFers have said that the US doesn't do enough for Israel.
In my circles all I hear from my fellow Jews is how the US is the best country in world history to the Jews (and Israel). And our Rabbis preach to us again and again, how we must have gratitude to America for the way it treats us so much better than all other nations treated us.
That is good to hear.

So how would you take the recent remark that Carter was anti-Israel? Did he support Israel as much as some would have liked, probably not. Does that make him anti-Israel?

I will search for the threads tomorrow when I have time.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2015, 01:10:28 AM »
I did not listen to his speech just as I have not listened to hardly any Presidents speeches. If you are going to attack the president/US for not supporting Israel then I am going to tell you to take your bat and ball and go home. Some say this is following blindly. I say they are the ones that need to open their eyes.

Cm,  you should listen. There was no attack at all

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:38 AM »
Cm,  you should listen. There was no attack at all
I never said the speech was an attack. I took some of the comments in the thread as and attack.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2015, 02:14:33 AM »
Beyond ignorant. Wouldn't have expected from you.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD