Author Topic: Undeserved Owed Collection from when I was Under 18. What should I do?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline mmr305

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hey first post here.
I just checked my credit for the first time and I saw a due collection for a hospital bill from 2012 when I was 17. I called the collection agency and they said it happened in 2011 and the hospital passed the debt to them in 2012. They claim to have been sending me bills to the address they had on file but I had since moved out. If I recall correctly the hospital told me I didn't owe anything, and that insurance will cover it. It has badly affected my credit. Should I just pay it, its only $170 or should I try to get it removed? What will help my credit more?
Thanks for all of the help!
G-d Bless!

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
pay it. then tell them to send a letter to the credit bureau(s) to remove/expunge it.

Not an expert but I believe that would work.

Offline sams

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I had same thing. Just called up agency involved with collection and told them I was under 18 then .they toke it off credit report without me even paying it

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
I had same thing. Just called up agency involved with collection and told them I was under 18 then .they toke it off credit report without me even paying it
+1 I had a similar case under 18 I believe they can't report it.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
pay it. then tell them to send a letter to the credit bureau(s) to remove/expunge it.

Not an expert but I believe that would work.

First of all, as others mentioned, it should be removed as he was under age.

But even if it was legitimate, it's from 3 years ago. Paying it now, it would report paid this month. Effectively, only bring the date of a negative item to the current month and hurting the score more.

Then falling off in another 7 years.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline zlt123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
and even if you are gonne pay tell them "before" you pay that you are paying for deleting it from your CR