Author Topic: A Quick Getaway to the 50th State: AJK's Trip to Kauai  (Read 30634 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: A Quick Getaway to the 50th State: AJK's Trip to Kauai
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »
Tougher than the Kalalau Trail? Examples please.
One day I when I get around to that TR

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »
One day I when I get around to that TR
Looking forward. That should be one heck of a TR...

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2015, 12:14:14 AM »

why? I saw a Japanese couple with a kid that couldn't have been older then 4 years old who was walking the trail with crocs,
Other crazy people were doing it with sandals. Point is I think it's totally doable with a carrier

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2015, 12:28:42 AM »
why? I saw a Japanese couple with a kid that couldn't have been older then 4 years old who was walking the trail with crocs,
Other crazy people were doing it with sandals. Point is I think it's totally doable with a carrier
I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just
Easier said than done.

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2015, 12:45:56 AM »
Love TR so far.

I'm amazed at how many different settings are on a single island (forest, beach, grassy plains, waterfalls); just gorgeous.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:31 AM »
Of course it was another DDF'er... how long did you stay? Enjoy?

Mrs. Farmbochur and I were there 2/17-2/23
Glad you got a pic of me holding the parrot... we happen to have left our camera/phones in our room.

Our trip was awesome!  Some highlights:

Off-road driving in Waimea was probably our favorite.
Climbing a mango tree for some of the freshest, most succulent fruit we've tasted.
Spotting that same monk seal just outside the GHK on erev shabbos.
Etc.....
Risk is opportunity

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2015, 04:33:18 PM »
2 hour domestic flight was harder than hiking with our twins on our backs for 3 hours in Costa Rica.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »

+1

I saw plenty of people in crocs and flip flops... None of them hiked past the first lookout point (half mile in).

The likelihood your Chinese couple and child were hiking past the first lookout point is pretty low, and past the beach is even less likely.

The guy I saw with an infant in tow was returning from the waterfall, which means he was doing the full 8-9 miles with the kid on his back.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »
Love TR so far.

I'm amazed at how many different settings are on a single island (forest, beach, grassy plains, waterfalls); just gorgeous.

Thanks. It is quite an island, though I think the highlight is the Kalalau Trail.

Mrs. Farmbochur and I were there 2/17-2/23
Glad you got a pic of me holding the parrot... we happen to have left our camera/phones in our room.

Our trip was awesome!  Some highlights:

Off-road driving in Waimea was probably our favorite.
Climbing a mango tree for some of the freshest, most succulent fruit we've tasted.
Spotting that same monk seal just outside the GHK on erev shabbos.
Etc.....

Seems you enjoyed as much as we did. Didn't hurt that there was quite literally a 100 degree change in temperature between EWR and HNL  ;D

Where'd you find the mango tree? That sounds luscious.

Also, I think we may have also seen you at Polihale ;)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »
Thanks. It is quite an island, though I think the highlight is the Kalalau Trail.
Lol, how many years have I been telling you this?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline farmbochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2015, 05:46:11 PM »
Mango tree was on the west side of waimea canyon drive.  Right across the street from one of the first lookouts.

At Polihale, there was a couple that asked us if we had weed.
Assuming that wasn't you. :)
Risk is opportunity

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »
Lol, how many years have I been telling you this?

But you haven't even done it! It's like you telling me how wonderful a Twix bar is  :P

Mango tree was on the west side of waimea canyon drive.  Right across the street from one of the first lookouts.

At Polihale, there was a couple that asked us if we had weed.
Assuming that wasn't you. :)

I can neither confirm nor deny  :-X

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »
I have done some fairly intense hikes (for reference I am an eagle scout and have done multiple 2 week backpacking trips) in http://www.backcountry.com/crocs-off-road-clog-mens.

it is harder, and i prefer a good pair of hiking boots but I like it for trips that involve going in and out of water.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »
Great TR, excellent pics!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »
Monday:

We arose bright and early for a two-tank day of scuba diving.

However, instead of making the same mistake and heading to Ilima Terrace to see Drew Brees again, we went to the Grand Club for breakfast.  And, frankly, I much preferred this quiet space to the hustle and bustle of the main breakfast. Definitely worth a stop in the morning... and afternoon/evening.

DSC02803 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02802 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02801 by ajkddf, on Flickr

We took the Kauai Revealed recommendation and booked with Fathom Five, and found them to be pretty good.

We dove the Sheraton Caverns and another site of which I unfortunately do not remember the name, and it was very enjoyable. The Sheraton Caverns is described well by Fathom Five:

“Sheraton Caverns has got the most popular boat diving site on Kauai. Located about 400 yards off the Sheraton Kauai (go figure that one) this site offers something for everyone. Three partial lava tubes make of the majority of this spot with lots of nooks and crannies for the critters to hide in. Archways and partial overhangs give this site some of the most spectacular scenery found underwater. Everything from Frogfish to Black Coral lives on this site, with Sea Turtles being so prominent that we don't call them Turtles but A.F.T.'s (Another Freaking Turtle).”

And it was true, we saw AFTs in abundance.

Random Frogfish:

What the description does not mention is that because it was whale season, we were serenaded with underwater whale singing during the entirety of both of our dives. Really special experience to hear these creatures singing under water.

Overall, Kauai does not compare to the diving in the Maldives or Bali, but we did end up seeing dozens of large sea turtles, one of my favorites and something which unfortunately have been a rare sight in my previous dives, so that was exhilarating.

After diving, we ran over to Spouting Horn, a blowhole created when waves erode lava rocks on the coastline, creating narrow openings through which water is jettisoned. A cool thing to see and definitely worth a stop and a photo, though it’s much more energetic in the summer.

DSC02797 by ajkddf, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:11:19 PM by AJK »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
Tuesday:

Another highlight of the trip: Chopper!

We had already picked up the Blue Hawaiian GCs from Costco on Friday so we went straight to the heliport in Lihu’e for our 930AM ride.

I must have asked/requested/beseeched for window seats for both me and my wife half a dozen times, and although they made it seem like they would make it happen, ultimately only my wife did, which was quite frustrating.

Anywho, a chopper over LIH is definitely a must-do. The majority of the island is almost impossible to see by car, so chopper is a grand way to see what you otherwise could not, especially if you left your tent and hiking boots at home.

DSC02814 by ajkddf, on Flickr

Our pilot had done this trip about 10,500 times and was quite informative.

DSC02817 by ajkddf, on Flickr

The two coolest portions of the trip were: 1) We got to see places from the air that we had visited on the ground, like the ‘Opaeka’a Falls and the Wailua Falls (pics below), and 2) the day we went was one of the ten days in the year that the weather was clear enough that the pilot was able to take us above and over Mount Waiʻaleʻale, one of the wettest spots on earth, so that we were able to look down on it. (Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a great snap of it, but there is a pic below.)

Some pics with descriptions (in blue):

Kauai Lagoons Resort by ajkddf, on Flickr

Famous movie waterfall by ajkddf, on Flickr

This waterfall, though you can't see it, actually has a helicopter landing pad to the immediate left. Often times, this waterfall is used in movies; in fact, I think the landing pad was built specifically for camera crews to get in an our easily.

Well-known Kauai red dirt by ajkddf, on Flickr

Another Waterfall, much larger than the first by ajkddf, on Flickr

Po'u o Kila Lookout from the Air by ajkddf, on Flickr

Na'apali Coast and (what I think is) Kalalau Beach by ajkddf, on Flickr

Wainiha by ajkddf, on Flickr

Hanalei Bay by ajkddf, on Flickr

Hanalei Bay is the place where Bethany Hamilton had her arm bitten off by a shark while surfing... The movie Soul Surfer is based on her surfing life.

Although it may not look it, this is the Wettest Spot on Earth:

DSC02879 by ajkddf, on Flickr

See that little white structure in the picture? That's the instrument they use to measure annual rainfall to determine this is the wettest in the world.

DSC02880 by ajkddf, on Flickr

Land bought by Steve Case, and leased out to herders. by ajkddf, on Flickr

After the chopper ride, we drove about 90 mins up to Waimea Canyon.  We stopped at the Waimea Canyon lookout, which was nice.

DSC02917 by ajkddf, on Flickr

waimea by ajkddf, on Flickr

However, it was nothing compared to the Pu’u o Kila Lookout, a view 20-30 mins passed the Waimea Canyon Lookout. And boy oh boy was that a view. Jaw-dropping.

DSC02927 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02934 by ajkddf, on Flickr

After a few photos, we drove the hour back to the hotel, where Mrs. AJK rush-packed, I bought Hyatt GCs from raise.com for 10% off, which worked perfectly (once I called into verify my purchase), and we checked out.

However, all that running and packing made us hot, and because our flight wasn't for a few hours, and because we were Diamond, we used our access to the Anara Spa, which has private showers, a pool, and most importantly a steam room and a sauna. After about 45 minutes in the spa, including a nice shvitz, I changed, heated up our second to last POM meal in the Grand Club, devoured it and off the airport we went.

Here's the Diamond "menu" from check-in:

Our flight back to the HNL was ordinary and quick, just like our outbound, and we were still looking good for Plan-B return from HNL-EWR, being #1 and #2 on the upgrade list with 4 seats open.

About 15-20 mins or so before departure, when neither of us had cleared yet and with just two remaining seats, I walked up to the gate agent and inquired when he would be processing upgrades.

"Oh, I am just about to do that now. I assume you're the top two on the list?"

I said "yes," and no sooner than finishing the word "yes," a woman came up to the desk and inquired about an upgrade to business.

The gate agent looked at me, then looked at her, then was forced to say, "Yes, we have 2 seats left for purchase. Each one is $900, but you must decide now."

Thinking (naively, I might add) that most people are not plunking down $900 for business seat ten mins before a flight, I figured I had at least a shot.  And then I saw this woman think out loud:

"Is it worth $900 for a good night sleep... hmmm..." She went back and forth for 30 seconds, and I'm sitting there praying that she decides like a true DDF'er that it was most certainly not worth $900 for such an upgrade. Heck she could buy like 4 nights in the Park Hyatt NYC for that amount of money!

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity she said... "I'll take it."

She handed him a CC and there went the second to last seat.

The agent then turned to me and said, "So, who between you two is sitting up front?" I told him my wife, and he said "well, since you're such a gentleman, I'll give you three seats to yourself."

And so it was. I flew the Jewish Business Class home, went to sleep 10 mins after take off and woke up 30 mins before landing, sleeping a solid 8 hours. Worked out just fine in the end.

And speaking of the end, this is the end of this TR. Hope you enjoyed!

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »
Thanks for finishing, thanks for another awesome report, thanks for making Hawaii even more appealing and sorry you had bad luck with seats on all types of aircraft - glad you made the most of it!

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »
Eagerly awaiting the onslaught of jokes on "jewish business class"...
Did you "TM" that yet ?

Thanks so much, you Crack me up all the time.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »
Thanks for finishing, thanks for another awesome report, thanks for making Hawaii even more appealing and sorry you had bad luck with seats on all types of aircraft - glad you made the most of it!

You're welcome.

But I didn't have bad luck on all segments. Just this one. We were both upgraded to business class on the outbound, and my wife was upgraded to business on the inbound. And, I had the Jewish business class on the inbound, too, so even that wasn't terrible luck.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
Eagerly awaiting the onslaught of jokes on "jewish business class"...
Did you "TM" that yet ?

Thanks so much, you Crack me up all the time.

:)

Glad you enjoyed.