Author Topic: Trip Report: Etihad Glitch Fare (UAE, Vic Falls, Chobe, Joburg, and Cape Town)  (Read 27656 times)

Offline Markus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Notice the people scuba diving in the bottom picture.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:52:08 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Thanks. I figured as much, but it’s not really any easier.

I lied. It is easier. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Markus

• View Profile

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Indoor Skiing at mall in Dubai

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Really well done. I know how long it takes to write these things so thanks!

How much was the elephant camp per night?

Did you upgrade your EY flight by transferring to EY miles or did you just pay for it?

I don't know if the weather was good for you,  but the drive from CPT to Cape Point is one of, if not the prettiest in the world. Mind bogglingly pretty.

I personally wouldn't have crammed in as much as you did, miss too much that way, IMHO, but it seems like it worked out for you.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Did you upgrade your EY flight by transferring to EY miles or did you just pay for it?

I don't know if the weather was good for you,  but the drive from CPT to Cape Point is one of, if not the prettiest in the world. Mind bogglingly pretty.

I personally wouldn't have crammed in as much as you did, miss too much that way, IMHO, but it seems like it worked out for you.

The drive is mind blowing pretty the second half of it, first part (outskirts of CPT) stinks. I crammed in a ton in my trip too, maybe more.

Offline Markus

• View Profile

Thank you. It really did take a long while, but it was my way of giving back to the community which has helped me on all of my other trips. I’m glad you appreciate it.

I transferred miles to EY for the upgrade. I was offered the option to bid, but my low bid was not accepted and a higher bid would not have been worthwhile. The minimum bid (which I understand is never accepted) on the NY — AUH leg would have been $1,200 per ticket each way.

You are absolutely correct. The city just breathes beauty. Everywhere you look there are magnificent mountains and coastlines. Unfortunately, much of the brush was burnt in some of the areas though.

I prefer crammed trips. I don’t get to travel as often as I would like, and I try to do as much as I can when the opportunity arises. I understand your perspective; to each his own I guess...

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
Oh and beautiful pictures!

Offline Markus

• View Profile
The Elephant Camp Hotel
(I will complete this set once my pictures finish uploading to Flickr)

Hotel Bed

Tent Living Area

Tent Bathtub

Standard Tent Private Plunge Pool

View from our private deck with Vic Falls mist

View from our private deck

Lobby tent indoor dining area

Main tent seating area

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:02:18 PM by Markus »

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Oh and beautiful pictures!

Thank you! We almost lost them. But a fellow DDFer helped me recover (most of) them from a corrupted SD card.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
The drive is mind blowing pretty the second half of it, first part (outskirts of CPT) stinks. I crammed in a ton in my trip too, maybe more.

From what I remember, the drive was almost instantly pretty. If anything only the first 15-20 mins aren't breathtaking, but soon after that the scenery changes dramatically from minute to minute. I can't recall anything prettier... even <gasp> the drive to Milford Sound.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Thank you. It really did take a long while, but it was my way of giving back to the community which has helped me on all of my other trips. I’m glad you appreciate it.

I transferred miles to EY for the upgrade. I was offered the option to bid, but my low bid was not accepted and a higher bid would not have been worthwhile. The minimum bid (which I understand is never accepted) on the NY — AUH leg would have been $1,200 per ticket each way.

You are absolutely correct. The city just breathes beauty. Everywhere you look there are magnificent mountains and coastlines. Unfortunately, much of the brush was burnt in some of the areas though.

I prefer crammed trips. I don’t get to travel as often as I would like, and I try to do as much as I can when the opportunity arises. I understand your perspective; to each his own I guess...

I'm not sure which place is prettier, CPT or AKL... CPT can hold it's own against the prettiest of AKL, but AKL as a country probably gets the nod. Either way, you can't go wrong with either.

Don't get me wrong, I've done crammed trips, but this one seems ambitious even for me :) You missed shark diving in CPT...!

Offline Markus

• View Profile
I'm not sure which place is prettier, CPT or AKL...

What’s AKL? I didn’t “miss” shark diving; I took the opportunity to maintain my shalom bayis... ::)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
What’s AKL? I didn’t “miss” shark diving; I took the opportunity to maintain my shalom bayis... ::)

New Zealand.

No shalom bayis issue if your spouse does it with you ;)

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Zambezi River Cruise

Offline Markus

• View Profile
New Zealand.

No shalom bayis issue if your spouse does it with you ;)

Boy, do I wanna go there! One day…

LOL!

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Some Safari Pics

Impalas

Elephant Skull

Elephant Crossing

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the beautiful and detailed TR

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
I'm not sure which place is prettier, CPT or AKL... CPT can hold it's own against the prettiest of AKL, but AKL as a country probably gets the nod. Either way, you can't go wrong with either.

Don't get me wrong, I've done crammed trips, but this one seems ambitious even for me :) You missed shark diving in CPT...!

The question would really be between CPT and GIG. Out of which GIG may just tip it over.

Offline shauly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for typing this up, it's really well written and informative. South Africa is on my list of places, so I hope to make use of your notes some day.