Topic Wiki

FIRE SAFETY WIKI

1) Check all electric appliances for frayed or exposed wiring!
2) Make sure all areas of your home have working CO/Smoke detectors. Make sure you can hear the alarms from your bedrooms.
3) Have a working fire extinguisher in your home.
« Last edited by ryg on March 22, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »

Author Topic: Fire Safety  (Read 20879 times)

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Safety
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »
Worth posting something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC5S0PA/?tag=cl03f-20
With quotes from here: http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/fire-and-safety-equipment/smoke-alarms
Or not worth the inevitable backlash?
you can do a post about the free detectors being given out in brooklyn and add that to it. http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/294332/today-fdny-to-hand-out-smoke-alarms-and-important-literature-at-four-locations-in-flatbush.html
i think the Agudah of Ave L is giving them out too

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
You can start off with "message from the FDNY" like the news sites do.

You could also close the comments if you're worried.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »
With the right heartfelt message of using this time as an important reminder about fire safety and the sad loss ...I'd post it.
You can close the comments section.
I'd keep the post brief. But so many people are reading your site, if the reminder helps them to check their devices that's a great thing.
+1. Tough call and post.

Saw this Dan?
In this Dan Doofus video, NFPA is reminding you to make sure you have enough smoke alarms in your home, test them monthly and replace them every 10 years.

Offline shauly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
Definitely worth posting.

My apartment has no detectors.. I never really thought twice about it.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
Definitely worth posting.

My apartment has no detectors.. I never really thought twice about it.
Any reason why not ? It's the law. Was this the 1st such story you heard?
Almost every Yom Tov there's such stories.

Offline clear thinker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »
Worth posting something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC5S0PA/?tag=cl03f-20
With quotes from here: http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/fire-and-safety-equipment/smoke-alarms
I went to buy these yesterday from "Kiddie" though I paid a little more in Walmart but different products "10 year sealed" you don't have to change the battery for 10 years.
Guys go out to buy them (or any other) along with a small fire extinguisher.
Should something good come out of it along with undertaking fresh resolutions in "Yiddishkeit" and humanity, embrace life and try to make the world a better place for your kids and grandchildren to live in until we'll hear the "shofer shel moshiach" very very soon.
Omein!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
People who dislike religion will always blame religion for any negative event that occurs, and will always discredit religion when something positive occurs. This is nothing new, and has been going on for soemthing like three thousand years.
The problem is when something positive happens we have no problem giving credit to religion. When something negative happens the standard answer is we are not capable of understanding. Can't have it both ways.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2015, 12:55:03 PM »
I'm not sure where a "deals" blog fits in with this story, but I do see how you reach a large group of people and a post can make a difference. I would expect comments like "Oh, Dan's trying to make a buck on smoke detectors" if you post an Amazon referral link, though. :-\

While you are at it, why not install automatic sprinklers in every room?

My point is, there is a reasonable amount of precautions to take in the event of a fire. Ladders are an unreasonable precaution. Good, working fire detectors, multiple exits in and out of the house, and taking precautions with day to day use of appliances, candles etc. should be enough.
Like everyone else said, a ladder on a second story when you only have 1 staircase makes TOTAL sense. My mother always kept one in the house, but unfortunately, I wouldn't know where it is in an emergency nor would I know how to properly use it. So this is a good reminder.

They don't...people that go through these things unfortunately never ever recover.
Yuch. How could you say that? It took me 5 seconds to think of a friend that lost a lot of family in a car accident and almost his own life, and he's "recovered". Sure, life isn't the same for him, but with G-d's help, you learn how to move on.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
The problem is when something positive happens we have no problem giving credit to religion. When something negative happens the standard answer is we are not capable of understanding. Can't have it both ways.

One of the basic tenets of Judaism is Divine Providence. If you believe in Dvine Providence, then you believe that everything that happens, good or bad, is in the hands of G-D.

It's very easy [for someone who is religious, or someone who is "on the fence"] to believe in Divine Providence when positive things happen. When negative things happen, those who believe will accept that they cannot understand the ways of G-D, while those who don't believe [or those who are on the fence] will simply mock religion.

For the record, when Dan posted the story of the guy who was saved from MH370 because he observed the Shabbos, there were many comments mocking the story.

Point is, if you don't believe, you don't believe. Heck,  some Jews who witnessed Krias Yam Suf also didn't believe.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:22:18 PM by zale »

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »
Would be great if you post just the second link.
Stupid move to post the first link. Everyone knows "where" to buy smoke detectors. Some might (rightfully) get the wrong impression that you're trying to make money off a tragedy.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2015, 01:16:33 PM »

Yuch. How could you say that? It took me 5 seconds to think of a friend that lost a lot of family in a car accident and almost his own life, and he's "recovered". Sure, life isn't the same for him, but with G-d's help, you learn how to move on.
Agree. Why would anyone say that? It's pointless, insensitive and dumb.... I've seen it too many times already..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
Point is that people should invest in the dual CO+smoke detectors rather than get the freebies.

Amazon reviewers say the best that money can buy $33, seems like a good investment.

Either way I'm prob gonna punt. Too emotional of a topic.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »

Either way I'm prob gonna punt. Too emotional of a topic.
Good idea
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
One of the basic tenets of Judaism is Divine Providence. If you believe in Dvine Providence, then you believe that everything that happens, good or bad, is in the hands of G-D.

It's very easy [for someone who is religious, or someone who is "on the fence"] to believe in Divine Providence when positive things happen. When negative things happen, those who believe will accept that they cannot understand the ways of G-D, while those who don't believe [or those who are on the fence] will simply mock religion.

For the record, when Dan posted the story of the guy who was saved from MH370 because he observed the Shabbos, there were many comments mocking the story.

Point is, if you don't believe, you don't believe. Heck,  some Jews who witnessed Krias Yam Suf also didn't believe.
We can go round and round on this and nothing will change. To think religion can have it both ways and not be called out on it is ridicules.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »
We can go round and round on this and nothing will change. To think religion can have it both ways and not be called out on it is ridicules.
I think what you are mixing up (and many who give you that impression) is the why- which we don't have any clue either way, good or bad (though by good ppl think they see the correlation which is where i think the misperception comes from) and expressing publicly gratitude and thanks when something good happens, regardless of the why.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
it will go round & round. It's been going that way for thousands of years.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »

Well my friend, I'm afraid a fellow from more than two thousand years ago has beat you to it:

The Talmud relates (Chulin 141a) a story that raises serious questions about the promised rewards of these commandments. Elisha ben Avuiah once observed a father telling his son to climb a ladder to a bird’s nest and send away the mother bird. The boy fell off the ladder and died. Elisha was stunned. The boy had been fulfilling the two commandments for which the Torah promises goodness and long life. How could he possibly fall to his death while doing these things? And thus Elisha became the famous apostate, “Acher”.

Offline shauly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
Any reason why not ? It's the law. Was this the 1st such story you heard?
Almost every Yom Tov there's such stories.

For some reason I don't ever really see them in apartments in Israel. We moved in a few months ago, and I never really even noticed or thought about the fact that we don't have.

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »
For some reason I don't ever really see them in apartments in Israel. We moved in a few months ago, and I never really even noticed or thought about the fact that we don't have.
I remember when I learned in israel and was looking to buy carbon monoxide detecters, the store keepers were laughing they're head off they never heard of carbon monoxide! They were like what u can't smell or see it and it can kill???!!
גיי לערן א גוי בר טנורא........

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
How could he possibly fall to his death while doing these things?
...and the answer is?  ;)