Author Topic: For Sale or Trade: My Soul  (Read 32137 times)

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
Re: For Sale or Trade: My Soul
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
Thanks sky for clarifying.

Of course Dan is right. This is an enjoyable hobby, I even love getting my hands dirty enjoying it ;)

What prompted me to write the above was in response to some posters trying to justify themselves saying it's an income supplement etc.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
Thanks sky for clarifying.

Of course Dan is right. This is an enjoyable hobby, I even love getting my hands dirty enjoying it ;)

What prompted me to write the above was in response to some posters trying to justify themselves saying it's an income supplement etc.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a second job that takes no real monetary investment, and you can make anywhere from $10,000-$100,000 a year.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
Uber.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2015, 10:17:09 AM »
Don't fool me or yourself.

Why not let cm answer...

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »
I saw this thread popping out of its seams yesterday but figured Ill wait until today to read through all of it.

In regards to the latest points made I think the following:

Some people have 9-5 jobs. They sit in front of a computer. They cant drive Uber or start a new company at work. They do however have a screen they sit in front of and some time on their hands. They can use DDF to learn how to program, plan the next vacation, read up on good deals going on to save themselves the occasional buck. They can also learn about Credit Cards and the perks of them and have a vast pool of experienced and helpful people willing to help with anything from points utilization to credit history etc.

I know people that got themselves CCs and ended up in debt bc they didn't really know what they were doing. Were they being naive? Yes of course. But I just look at a place like DDF and to me people active here or asking good questions here this woudl not happen too bc this is a helpful community where you would have learned about all of this. So there is certainly a lot of good to be gained from DDF.

I also think that one needs to be honest to oneself and reflect on ones individual agenda and the guidelines one puts in place for oneself. Everyone has their own moral standard. You should be aware of what that is and try to stick to it. Not everybody here necessarily follows halacha but I just think that if you start feeling like you are doing something wrong, take a step back, analyze what is going wrong and see if you feel like you are deviating from your standards.

As mentioned above, I think that DDF is valuable for many other reasons as well. You can learn a lot about many different things here and have interesting conversations with people from all over the world. That is valuable to some.

Work hard, Play harder!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
Why not let cm answer...
...I did.  ;)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a second job that takes no real monetary investment, and you can make anywhere from $10,000-$100,000 a year.
This isn't a kosher way of making 10-100k a year. It's just not straight enough that people should be supporting themselves off it. Is it illegal? Mostly no. Is it agaisnt the TCs? Often not. But it isn't the straight and narrow so it shouldn't be a source of paranassah.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »
This isn't a kosher way of making 10-100k a year. It's just not straight enough that people should be supporting themselves off it. Is it illegal? Mostly no. Is it agaisnt the TCs? Often not. But it isn't the straight and narrow so it shouldn't be a source of paranassah.
What part about MS is not "kosher" or are you talking about buying/selling miles/points?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »
What part about MS is not "kosher" or are you talking about buying/selling miles/points?
All of the above. And I didn't say it's not kosher. I said it's not a kosher way of making a living. Big difference there.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
All of the above. And I didn't say it's not kosher. I said it's not a kosher way of making a living. Big difference there.
but i thought we agreed that for many, they have a main job anyway

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »
If I make my living off MS what is not kosher about it?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »

Either it's kosher or it isn't, no? I don't see how there is a difference there.  Explain to me your thought here. (I'm asking sincerely btw)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
Either it's kosher or it isn't, no? I don't see how there is a difference there.  Explain to me your thought here. (I'm asking sincerely btw)
Ok if you're sincere here goes :)-there are certain practices that if you want to on your own are just questionable but to do it as a way of supporting yourself are not good. Let's consider the guy mentioned in the video before and how he gets into first class lounges. Is what he's doing illegal? No. would I say someone who does it occasionally is a bad guy? No, i would not. But then look at a guy like that, who does it for his office space. Or think of a guy who sells lounge passes using that trick for $25 each to unsuspecting people. Do you see the difference? Questionable practices can e looked over if done in small amounts but once you start going big it starts becoming shady.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
When he gave admittedly false info to Target it was just for non-income use, therefore it's totally kosher.
Anything more than that is totally unkosher.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »
Questionable practices can e looked over if done in small amounts but once you start going big it starts becoming shady.
Again, justify what you do as OK, but do any more and that's where the problem is.

It's an odd philosophy IMHO, but a very common one.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »
When he gave admittedly false info to Target it was just for non-income use, therefore it's totally kosher.
Anything more than that is totally unkosher.
Did you ever sign up for a website and when it asks for your bday you put in some random day? Did you put in "admittedly false info"? Of course not-because your bday makes no difference and is just for marketing. If they needed that info to verify your account, it's a different story. But if you just need to type in a set of numbers for the machine to process it (EXACTLY what it is with that) there's nothing wrong with that. Do you really not see that?

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »
Did you ever sign up for a website and when it asks for your bday you put in some random day? Did you put in "admittedly false info"? Of course not-because your bday makes no difference and is just for marketing. If they needed that info to verify your account, it's a different story. But if you just need to type in a set of numbers for the machine to process it (EXACTLY what it is with that) there's nothing wrong with that. Do you really not see that?
you being serious?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:41 AM »
Again, justify what you do as OK, but do any more and that's where the problem is.

It's an odd philosophy IMHO, but a very common one.
Again incorrect. As i explicitly said before, there are boundaries. I know some DDFers that fall within them, some do not. Just as Al Qaeda is indisputably a radical group even though ISIS considers them softies, there are DDFers who are just downright addicted and or shady, becuase theyre are out of the bounds of norm. Simple point here.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »
Isn't the reason for the SS# one per person? When you use false SS#'s numbers you are scamming. I guess small amounts of scamming is OK?

Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »
Again incorrect. As i explicitly said before, there are boundaries. I know some DDFers that fall within them, some do not. Just as Al Qaeda is indisputably a radical group even though ISIS considers them softies, there are DDFers who are just downright addicted and or shady, becuase theyre are out of the bounds of norm. Simple point here.
As long as those bounderies are set by YOU based on what YOU consider OK than you fall into Dan's analysis. If you ask Al-Qaeda if they are extreme they'll just tell you "You think WE are extreme? We have boundaries, you should check out those ISIS folks next cave over"...