Author Topic: For Sale or Trade: My Soul  (Read 32040 times)

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: For Sale or Trade: My Soul
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »

Working, the way everybody else does it.
So you are saying you don't know what supplement means?

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »
So you are saying you don't know what supplement means?
Working another job.

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »
Working another job.
some ppl work a good job, and dont need to go out late at night to work a second
but this could supplement some income

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »
I have been in this game for about a year now. In this past year I have flown around the world several times and stayed 50-100 nights in 5 star hotels. I am looking back now and wondering, is it worth it?

I go to a hotel now and I will not stay there if I do not get a decent room. I will walk out and be upset. I now get very irritated when I have to wait in lines anywhere. I can no longer fall asleep in economy class. I have raised my lifestyle. This lifestyle has cost me financially more than I wish to admit. I will now pay a lot more for comfort than I would have a year ago. The feeling is amazing and I do not think I can go back.

The average several star DDFer has spent days, weeks if not months of their time on DDF. Yes, hobbies are great, but this is more. This eats up so much of our time. Conversation topics with other travelers always end up being about this lifestyle. Which airline, which hotel etc. All of these hours used (wasted?) playing the game could have been used better elsewhere. In retrospect, if I had spent all of these hours really working hard at work, I would be able to afford to pay the full cash price of this lifestyle. (ok, not a 20k flight to MLE and 2k per nights, but there are more affordable options)

Here is the main problem: I think the ethic standard I set for myself also lowered in the past year. My business ethics have not changed, but I now do some things that I would have never done. I am afraid it will only get worse. We can give excuses for ourselves for SBS and CC sign up bonuses, even MS and corp codes with fake corp ID's. But those are just excuses. At the end of the day, if it was in a different context, we wouldn't do it.

Is it worth lowering my ethics level to save money? I feel like I am trading my soul for comfort and pleasure.

#RANTOVER #IAMTOOADDICTEDTOLEAVE

Ugh, where to start?

A. Don't lump together SBS, signup bonuses, and fake corp codes. 
-SBS is legit within every term of the offer. Making up fake names is wrong, but most don't do that.
-Churning may or may not be allowed per Ts and Cs, but is something banks can decide on whether to award the miles or not whenever they feel like it.
-Lying about which company you work for is something completely different.

B. It's nice to live a lifestyle that would require an income many times what you can get otherwise, but there's no need to stoop low to achieve that.  Ultimately the chinese farmer sleeping on the ground is content with his lifestyle too, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have aspirations.

But I'll wait in line or sit in coach and not be irritated, the key is to remain grounded and not become arrogant.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
Working, the way everybody else does it.
Then why are you on this forum?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
I have been in this game for about a year now. In this past year I have flown around the world several times and stayed 50-100 nights in 5 star hotels. I am looking back now and wondering, is it worth it?

I go to a hotel now and I will not stay there if I do not get a decent room. I will walk out and be upset. I now get very irritated when I have to wait in lines anywhere. I can no longer fall asleep in economy class. I have raised my lifestyle. This lifestyle has cost me financially more than I wish to admit. I will now pay a lot more for comfort than I would have a year ago. The feeling is amazing and I do not think I can go back.

The average several star DDFer has spent days, weeks if not months of their time on DDF. Yes, hobbies are great, but this is more. This eats up so much of our time. Conversation topics with other travelers always end up being about this lifestyle. Which airline, which hotel etc. All of these hours used (wasted?) playing the game could have been used better elsewhere. In retrospect, if I had spent all of these hours really working hard at work, I would be able to afford to pay the full cash price of this lifestyle. (ok, not a 20k flight to MLE and 2k per nights, but there are more affordable options)

Here is the main problem: I think the ethic standard I set for myself also lowered in the past year. My business ethics have not changed, but I now do some things that I would have never done. I am afraid it will only get worse. We can give excuses for ourselves for SBS and CC sign up bonuses, even MS and corp codes with fake corp ID's. But those are just excuses. At the end of the day, if it was in a different context, we wouldn't do it.

Is it worth lowering my ethics level to save money? I feel like I am trading my soul for comfort and pleasure.

#RANTOVER #IAMTOOADDICTEDTOLEAVE

This isn't a rant. It is the sound a soul makes when the light shines in.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
So what is the next step?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »
Then why are you on this forum?
Because in moderation it's perfectly ok IMO. But go crazy about it and it's not ok.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 04:41:29 PM »
Ha you're setting yourself up for attack here :).

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 04:42:18 PM »
Because in moderation it's perfectly ok IMO. But go crazy about it and it's not ok.
How many RC's have you bought with inputting fake information?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
A few-for myself and others. But I don't make daily trips to Target to load up constantly. Because that's excessive and an addiction. I go a few times and if I don't make it to my limit (gasp) it's also ok.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2015, 04:45:58 PM »
A few-for myself and others. But I don't make daily trips to Target to load up constantly. Because that's excessive and an addiction. I go a few times and if I don't make it to my limit (gasp) it's also ok.
So if you sell your soul in moderation it is OK just don't go crazy and get addicted?

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »
Quite a few but ever since they passed the 13th amendment Roman Catholics have become really hard to come by :'(

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »

You seem to have two separate issues here. Now you're talking about the excessive and addition part but before you were addressing the idea of selling points which are against the T and C's. I believe CM  asking you how many cards you bought with fake info was more directed at the issues of not doing things 100% yashar, not the addiction part.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »
You seem to have two separate issues here. Now you're talking about the excessive and addition part but before you were addressing the idea of selling points which are against the T and C's. I believe CM asking you how many cards you bought with fake info was more directed at the issues of not doing things 100% yashar, not the addiction part.
+100

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
+100
so selling miles is awful, but inputting fake information is completely fine?
not sure if that warranted quoting CM

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
Quite a few but ever since they passed the 13th amendment Roman Catholics have become really hard to come by :'(
You seemed to be confused. RC's are a protected class.  :P

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2015, 04:54:25 PM »
So what is the next step?

It's all about awareness. He's already aware of the many downsides to this game. If he stays aware, he'll be fine. If he forgets, he'll fall off the wagon. It's like that with everything in life.

At one point I came to the same conclusion about using my time to tune up my skills instead of trying to get points-rich. I started focusing on that, and B"H it has paid off waaay more than some more points or free nights.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »
I can truthfully say zero.
lets not put sara b on the stand

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »
Another thing not being mentioned is the common practice of selling points. Not only is it clearly against the T&Cs I believe its reprehensible because it legitimizes the practice and makes it seem like a legit business. It's one thing to make the points and use them in travel but to do this to sell them makes it look all kosher and it's not. I understand that many in the frum world feel the need to supplement their income but there are better (and more honest) ways if doing it.
One reason frum people get in trouble from scams is because they to have an awful sense of smell at sniffing out shady dealings. Business is business. Shadiness is shadiness. Stop confusing them.

Anyone frummer than me is nuts and anyone less frum than me is frei as the wind.
Got it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.