Author Topic: GoPro Hero4 $399.99 or $379.99 + 10% Off (Cheaper Than DDMS Post)  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: GoPro Hero4 $399.99 or $379.99 + 10% Off (Cheaper Than DDMS Post)
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
:o
1. The Black does not shoot 4k at 60fps.
2. 99% of the population does not have the means of displaying anything over 1080p, let alone the power to edit it into something watchable. And neither will any significant percentage of people get a 4k screen in the foreseeable future.
3. This last point is even stronger in reference to the DDF "population", where many (if not most) don't have a TV at all and would light view their footage on a computer monitor.
4. The typical GoPro costumer does not use the camera for what it is intended for in the first place - extreme sports and the like. Most people dont need crazy resolutions or frame rates of the road they're driving on or their kid on a bike.
5. 4k downsampled to 1080p viewed on a computer monitor is in no way* any better than 1080p / 60fps. In fact, it's worse when you consider its additional horsepower and storage needs.

So I stand by what I said - for 99% of the population, seeing and controlling what you're actually shooting is far more valuable than a couple of frame rates that you'd never use.

*There is one way that it is better, which is extracting stills from the video - 4k is simply far better than anything else. But then theoretically you could do that from a 15fps video as well.
What is the optimal usage for these?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 02:38:41 PM »
:o
1. The Black does not shoot 4k at 60fps.
2. 99% of the population does not have the means of displaying anything over 1080p, let alone the power to edit it into something watchable. And neither will any significant percentage of people get a 4k screen in the foreseeable future.
3. This last point is even stronger in reference to the DDF "population", where many (if not most) don't have a TV at all and would light view their footage on a computer monitor.
4. The typical GoPro costumer does not use the camera for what it is intended for in the first place - extreme sports and the like. Most people dont need crazy resolutions or frame rates of the road they're driving on or their kid on a bike.
5. 4k downsampled to 1080p viewed on a computer monitor is in no way* any better than 1080p / 60fps. In fact, it's worse when you consider its additional horsepower and storage needs.

So I stand by what I said - for 99% of the population, seeing and controlling what you're actually shooting is far more valuable than a couple of frame rates that you'd never use.

*There is one way that it is better, which is extracting stills from the video - 4k is simply far better than anything else. But then theoretically you could do that from a 15fps video as well.

I obviously meant that people will not use 4K@15, but rather 1080@60 on the silver so that the fact that the silver had 4K did not matter. I personally have looked into it for freeride skiing and downhill mountain biking, and I would go for the 4K if I had to buy one given that I am not missing any of the requisites to enjoy it fully. However, since most of my sports buddies have one, I didn't think I had a need for it.
Now I'm sure that's enough for people to decide what's better for them :)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 10:50:55 PM »
What is the optimal usage for these?

The "optimal" usage is to record your extreme activities - skydiving, racing, surfing, etc. That's what the camera is built for. However millions of people use it to record just about anything.

One of my favorite videos is a guy comparing his expectations based on the GoPro ads to what he was actually shooting:

http://petapixel.com/2014/10/02/video-gopro-fantasy-versus-gopro-reality/
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: GoPro Hero4 $329
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »
$329 @Adorama on eBay for example.
On sale again here.
Quaerite et Invenietis.