Is the wall of shame of JCW necessary?

Yes
25 (36.2%)
No
10 (14.5%)
Its complicated
34 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Wall of shame???  (Read 47438 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Wall of shame???
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
Well, the Delta glitch was pretty important for the Jewish community...
Not nearly as important as the El-Al glitch, but we digress...

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2015, 04:45:59 PM »
The only thread I catch up on...

BH

Offline bigbadmoish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2015, 05:06:12 PM »
I love/hate this thread. because of all the above mentioned problems, this is probably one of the most complicated issues that we are facing to day. The Torah has rules and regulations as far as witnesses are concerned. CMIIW but I dont know of any halachic authority standing up and laying out the rules of how exactly we a jews should handle this. We are then left with different organizations, who 'consult' with rabbanim. The leaders of this dor have the achrayis to make sure it gets handled and I just dont see that happening.

Offline SBS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
I love/hate this thread. because of all the above mentioned problems, this is probably one of the most complicated issues that we are facing to day. The Torah has rules and regulations as far as witnesses are concerned. CMIIW but I dont know of any halachic authority standing up and laying out the rules of how exactly we a jews should handle this. We are then left with different organizations, who 'consult' with rabbanim. The leaders of this dor have the achrayis to make sure it gets handled and I just dont see that happening.

Here is a Psak from Chabad Rabbonim in Crown Heights:

http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=15398
Available for Sha'alos

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
Here is a Psak from Chabad Rabbonim in Crown Heights:

http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=15398
perfect... and what exactly qualifies as evidence of abuse?? and no offense to either one of those rabbis but I never heard of them before and would not consider them the leaders of this dor (outside CH) I'm talking about R' chaim and the like who are widely accepted and world renown. And not some handwritten letter that can be forged. Let someone make a drasha... the internet isnt the only problem worth going to Citi for

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
perfect... and what exactly qualifies as evidence of abuse?? and no offense to either one of those rabbis but I never heard of them before and would not consider them the leaders of this dor (outside CH) I'm talking about R' chaim and the like who are widely accepted and world renown. And not some handwritten letter that can be forged. Let someone make a drasha... the internet isnt the only problem worth going to Citi for
That's a silly reply, why not say good on Chabad for taking a stance, I wish the Yeshivish world also gave a definitive psak?

BTW a rav in this thread gave a psak also, albeit he's chabad so maybe he doesn't count.

Side point I have yet to hear a reason why the girl in the video isn't going to court now...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »

No offense to Rabbonim, but  Rabbnnim are NOT Qualified to deal with Child Abuse, people go to school for many years to get educated on how to deal with Child  Abuse, You go to the Police, Legal authorities  and they lead from there.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »
That's a silly reply, why not say good on Chabad for taking a stance, I wish the Yeshivish world also gave a definitive psak?

BTW a rav in this thread gave a psak also, albeit he's chabad so maybe he doesn't count.

Side point I have yet to hear a reason why the girl in the video isn't going to court now...
my OP was that the leaders of the dor should do something. Telling me that chabad did something doesnt address my earlier concerns. I have NOTHING against chabad (or any other jews for that matter) happen to have some Lubab blood myself.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
my OP was that the leaders of the dor should do something. Telling me that chabad did something doesnt address my earlier concerns. I have NOTHING against chabad (or any other jews for that matter) happen to have some Lubab blood myself.

You said "CMIIW but I dont know of any halachic authority standing up and laying out the rules of how exactly we a jews should handle this."

And SBS quoted rabanim saying how to deal with it. Go to the police...

Saying the dor is only yeshivish rabanim makes you sound closed. Just because your rabanim didn't give a psak doesn't mean it's not out there.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
You said "CMIIW but I dont know of any halachic authority standing up and laying out the rules of how exactly we a jews should handle this."

And SBS quoted rabanim saying how to deal with it. Go to the police...

Saying the dor is only yeshivish rabanim makes you sound closed. Just because your rabanim didn't give a psak doesn't mean it's not out there.
my apologies. Did not mean it like that at all. R chaim is just someone that I think we can all consider the manhig of the dor. Someone of his status should take a public stance in this. That was all I was trying to say.

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »
From reading through this thread it seems that people don't believe that rabbis are qualified to investigate allegations of child abuse, but will accept the results of a police investigation.

Go tell that to anyone from williamsburg,

the pedifile was a hero & the victim labeled a moser & a whore. even after the Judge sentenced him to 100 years.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
No offense to Rabbonim, but  Rabbnnim are NOT Qualified to deal with Child Abuse, people go to school for many years to get educated on how to deal with Child  Abuse, You go to the Police, Legal authorities  and they lead from there.
you may or may not be right about the emotional aspect of this. I was talking about the halachic issues of going to the PD and/prosecuting the alleged abusers

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2015, 05:49:08 PM »
This R' Chaim?

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
my apologies. Did not mean it like that at all. R chaim is just someone that I think we can all consider the manhig of the dor. Someone of his status should take a public stance in this. That was all I was trying to say.
With all due respect you need to get out more, there are many in this Dor who do not view R' Chaim as their Manhig.

I don't think there is ANYONE in this generation who has the clout that EVERYONE will listen to him, the best we can hope for is that the leaders of each community take care of their followers.

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
With all due respect you need to get out more, there are many in this Dor who do not view R' Chaim as their Manhig.

I don't think there is ANYONE in this generation who has the clout that EVERYONE will listen to him, the best we can hope for is that the leaders of each community take care of their followers.
you may be right... still has a platform the few if any have.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
you may be right... still has a platform the few if any have.
Bottom line. You got what you asked for. How does this affect your stance on the issue at hand?

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »
Bottom line. You got what you asked for. How does this affect your stance on the issue at hand?
the wall is necessary as long as its not being handled correctly the rabbonim. Hopefully it will cause everyone to wake the F up and will be able to be taken down in due time. 

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
She did say it happened 9 1/2 years ago so there is still time. I don't want to jump to conclusions so what are you getting at?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
http://tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/138918/jewish-community-watch

"Then Seewald made a major error. In August 2012, a special-education teacher named Daniel Granovetter wrote a since-deleted personal account on a Crown Heights news site, titled “I Was Falsely Accused,” describing how he was arrested after an autistic boy he tutored accused him of abuse, though the investigation was eventually dropped when the child retracted his claim. “In people’s eyes I was no longer a Jew, let alone a human being,” Granovetter wrote in a harrowing account. “I was regarded as a monster, an out-of-control filthy, dangerous beast capable of snatching little children and sexually abusing them.”

Granovetter told me Seewald confronted him outside his home “rather aggressively,” demanding Granovetter confess to molesting the child. When Granovetter refused, he was featured on the JCW Wall of Shame, which he said has destroyed his career and social standing.

Shortly after the incident, Seewald removed Granovetter’s name and picture from the blog, releasing a statement that there was insufficient evidence against the teacher. Granovetter, who told me over the phone that forgiveness is his nature, removed his story criticizing JCW from the news site and replaced it with one praising Seewald’s work, placing blame on the student who falsely accused him rather than JCW. Seewald admitted to me that it was a mistake to confront Granovetter when there was a police investigation under way, but like Granovetter’s reputation, JCW’s credibility never fully recovered from the debacle."

The rumors going around at the time of this story were that Seewald refused to issue a retraction unless Granovetter promised to support him.

Again this is a  rumor, that you are hearing from an anonymous poster on an online forum, so take it for what its worth...

What it all boils down to with regards to the topic of this thread which is (or was) the wall of shame, is that without transparency, no one can say for sure if it is a good or bad thing.

One thing is for sure, and that is that it is a very good thing that people are talking about it, so that it is dealt with properly.