Author Topic: Security Safes  (Read 2905 times)

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Security Safes
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »
Todays Amazon deal that Dan posted prompted this thread.  I have been looking for a safe for a while to keep important documents and other valuables inside.  I would want a large enough one to keep jewelry in so I think the smaller ones that are really just for passports and a few documents wouldnt be good enough.  Also, because I want to keep jewelry in it I would need to be able to get in on Shabbos so it has to have a manual entry (key/combination) that can open the safe, not electronic.  I am more worried about fire and to a lesser degree water than I am about theft although that is always an added benefit of storing things in a safe.  So anyone have any insight, advice, or experiences to share?

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Security Safes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »
Gardall Safes.

They have many sizes and options, many of which are manual with a key.

One recommendation I would make is, that these safes are very thick inside (for security reasons, obviously), and they are smaller inside than you think. So it may be worthwhile to size up a little bit, as you will end up using it more once you have it.

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:48:36 AM »
It'll only protect from theft if you get the large ones that are bolted in, otherwise they will just take the whole locked safe.
I have a small one for documents that I leave unlock on purpose, so if anyone looks at it they'll see its nothing exciting.

I see these safes not as protecting your assets from theft, rather saving you the headache of having to replace all your documents and other perhaps irreplaceable heirlooms. For theft, I would just get insurance...

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »
It'll only protect from theft if you get the large ones that are bolted in, otherwise they will just take the whole locked safe.
I have a small one for documents that I leave unlock on purpose, so if anyone looks at it they'll see its nothing exciting.

I see these safes not as protecting your assets from theft, rather saving you the headache of having to replace all your documents and other perhaps irreplaceable heirlooms. For theft, I would just get insurance...
Thats why I said that the primary concern is fire and water, not theft. 

Offline springles

• View Profile

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:12:21 AM »
Gardall Safes.

They have many sizes and options, many of which are manual with a key.

One recommendation I would make is, that these safes are very thick inside (for security reasons, obviously), and they are smaller inside than you think. So it may be worthwhile to size up a little bit, as you will end up using it more once you have it.
they seem quite expensive

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »
Most likely you will get what you pay for...

It's a one time expense (hopefully) that may help you sleep a little better at night. That's what it sounds like you are looking for.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 12:44:10 PM »
when you by a safe its recommended that the seller shouldn't know the buyer's info as there where many stories of sellers robbing the buyer knowing that the buyer has a safe probably for valuables,

My friend that bought a safe for his gun and has $-0  was (attempted) robbed by thieves that stole receipts from the "safe" store thinking he has a lot of valuables, fortunately he ran out from the side door and called the cops.
["-"]

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
Todays Amazon deal that Dan posted prompted this thread.  I have been looking for a safe for a while to keep important documents and other valuables inside.  I would want a large enough one to keep jewelry in so I think the smaller ones that are really just for passports and a few documents wouldnt be good enough.  Also, because I want to keep jewelry in it I would need to be able to get in on Shabbos so it has to have a manual entry (key/combination) that can open the safe, not electronic.  I am more worried about fire and to a lesser degree water than I am about theft although that is always an added benefit of storing things in a safe.  So anyone have any insight, advice, or experiences to share?
Maybe something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z8T7FQ/?tag=cl03f-20
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »

Have that exact model :) Got it 4 years ago and it works great

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »
that seems pretty cheap for the size, thanks. Does anyone know if the 1/2 hour vs. 1 hour fire protection is a big deal? Thats the only reason why I would be looking at this instead
I am going to look at costco tomorrow to see what they have first but this seems like a good option

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
that seems pretty cheap for the size, thanks
Was $96 yesterday when I posted it.

I'd assume that a fire would be under control within 30 minutes...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »
Was $96 yesterday when I posted it.

I'd assume that a fire would be under control within 30 minutes...
oh, at $96 I would have jumped on it

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
Try buying it and chatting with them to honor yesterday's price.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »
$96 again

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
These safes are not security safes. They are fire/flood safes, they are not designed to prevent theft, in fact the encourage it
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 02:15:29 PM »
funny story, while cleaning my garage out erev pesach I found this safe there that I had mostly forgotten was there since i bought the house 10 years ago.  It was locked and I dont have the key so I put it away and always meant to try and get a key to check it.  I came across it a bunch of times over the last 10 years but always left it to deal with later.  So now that I was looking for a safe and came across it I figured its time to deal with it.  Still no key but a youtube search quickly taught me how to pick the lock using a nail clipper (these are really not to safeguard against theft).  So now I have a safe to store my documents in to protect from fire.  I am not sure if I should order a key (costs like $20) or just rely on the nail clipper, worried that my wife might need a document when I am not home and wont be able to pick the lock as easily as I did. 

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »

funny story, while cleaning my garage out erev pesach I found this safe there that I had mostly forgotten was there since i bought the house 10 years ago.  It was locked and I dont have the key so I put it away and always meant to try and get a key to check it.  I came across it a bunch of times over the last 10 years but always left it to deal with later.  So now that I was looking for a safe and came across it I figured its time to deal with it.  Still no key but a youtube search quickly taught me how to pick the lock using a nail clipper (these are really not to safeguard against theft).  So now I have a safe to store my documents in to protect from fire.  I am not sure if I should order a key (costs like $20) or just rely on the nail clipper, worried that my wife might need a document when I am not home and wont be able to pick the lock as easily as I did.

If you were able to do it with nail clippers go into any locksmith and ask him for a blank key that will fit the key way or one that he doesn't need... With a little fiddling it should work...

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »
If you were able to do it with nail clippers go into any locksmith and ask him for a blank key that will fit the key way or one that he doesn't need... With a little fiddling it should work...
not sure you are right, I had a key that i was able to get in but it didnt work to open even with fiddling.  But I will ask a locksmith

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »

not sure you are right, I had a key that i was able to get in but it didnt work to open even with fiddling.  But I will ask a locksmith

Explain the situation to the locksmith he may be able to find something for you