Author Topic: Downtowner. New ride service, free! (Currently only in 2 cities in FL)  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Welder

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
http://www.ridedowntowner.com/

"Downtowner is a free on-demand ride service using 100% electric vehicles, changing the way you get around town." Apparently they make their money from adds (their carts are covered) and tips - they are also going to make a VIP membership available soon.

Sounds like a cool concept. I wonder if it will last, and if it will spread to more cities.

I'm in a position to test it out, so I'll post here after I do.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:30:25 PM by Welder »
"We need more welders and less philosophers" — Marco Rubio

Offline Welder

• View Profile
Just used it. It works like uber (app system) only without CC and account verification. They use these big and comfortable (leather seats!), open-air, electric, cars (pretty much sophisticated golf carts) which can take 5 passengers at a time.

Driver told me that currently they are being payed per hour by the company but that once it picked up, they would stop being payed and rely only on tips.

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Just used it. It works like uber (app system) only without CC and account verification. They use these big and comfortable (leather seats!), open-air, electric, cars (pretty much sophisticated golf carts) which can take 5 passengers at a time.

Driver told me that currently they are being payed per hour by the company but that once it picked up, they would stop being payed and rely only on tips.

Sounds like it could be amazing for places like where it is....beach towns and the likes where it won't get completely abused

Offline Adam101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
If they would stop being paid, and only rely on tips, why would anyone do it for them? Tips are optional and even if they are required, they don't amount to a lot...

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
I will try this out. Looks cool!

Offline Welder

• View Profile
If they would stop being paid, and only rely on tips, why would anyone do it for them? Tips are optional and even if they are required, they don't amount to a lot...
I don't know exactly but I imagine that because they only do short local trips, they get quite a few tips per hour, and the tips are probably pretty reasonable, if not generous, considering the free fare.