Author Topic: Money Market Fund, Annuities, Etc  (Read 6158 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Money Market Fund, Annuities, Etc
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
Is that the best you can do with 15k ? whats the next step higher on the risk factor but below putting it all on red? (anything in the 8-10% yield range)
what time frame
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline jack276156

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »
3 - 4  years

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
I have 10-15k that I want to do more with than earn 0.005% in the bank.

Keep in mind that 1% is $100-150, so if you're only putting your money away for six months then you'll get less than half that (since the interest rate is a compounded annualized yield).

Also, most funds/investment vehicles that have higher returns also have higher risk, and are thus more suitable for long term investment.

You might want to check out bankrate (or one of the other comparison sites) as there are banks that offer an intro rate or bonus that might get you more than $2-300 for the year.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »
Would anyone recommend roth IRA account for someone who pays little taxes now. What yield range should i expect?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
Would anyone recommend roth IRA account for someone who pays little taxes now. What yield range should i expect?
Yes. Depending where you open the account, you can invest in just about anything that platform allows trading in. So the yield is the yield on whatever you expect to invest in.

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »
Is that the best you can do with 15k ? whats the next step higher on the risk factor but below putting it all on red? (anything in the 8-10% yield range)

You're not going to find anything with a firm commitment to pay that kind of return. It's not realistic in a world were negative yields for sovereign debt are considered normal.

Roth accounts can be fantastic for many people. If you're paying little to none in the way of taxes now you theoretically could put money in at a 10% tax rate and then qualify for a non-refundable savers credit of 50% of your deposit up to $2,000 and that would refund any tax you paid.

You're making a mistake focusing on yield, a very perilous mistake. I can name you plenty of funds with high yields. But when there is a grab for yield you will by necessity be buying into lower quality assets. This would greatly increase the odds of a loss of principal. There are REITs that can yield over 10% and there are numerous commodity stocks that yield over 5% (thank to recent pullbacks). All carry significant investment risks though.

If you have a very long term (10-20 years) horizon the typical number thrown out these days is to expect 6-8% return over time.

From your situation it sounds like you may need the money in a few years. Others can opine what you should invest in. I would strongly suggest that you consider putting the money into a Roth due to the aforementioned Saver's credit which can provide a "return" of as much as 50% of your contributed capital. This capital can be withdrawn tax free and any returns can be withdrawn for qualified expenses (typically education, healthcare or first time housing).

You could probably also throw some money into an HSA if you're planning to use the money anyway for healthcare expenses and that would provide a tax deduction if you move into a higher tax bracket in the coming year.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
You're not going to find anything with a firm commitment to pay that kind of return. It's not realistic in a world were negative yields for sovereign debt are considered normal.

Roth accounts can be fantastic for many people. If you're paying little to none in the way of taxes now you theoretically could put money in at a 10% tax rate and then qualify for a non-refundable savers credit of 50% of your deposit up to $2,000 and that would refund any tax you paid.

You're making a mistake focusing on yield, a very perilous mistake. I can name you plenty of funds with high yields. But when there is a grab for yield you will by necessity be buying into lower quality assets. This would greatly increase the odds of a loss of principal. There are REITs that can yield over 10% and there are numerous commodity stocks that yield over 5% (thank to recent pullbacks). All carry significant investment risks though.

If you have a very long term (10-20 years) horizon the typical number thrown out these days is to expect 6-8% return over time.

From your situation it sounds like you may need the money in a few years. Others can opine what you should invest in. I would strongly suggest that you consider putting the money into a Roth due to the aforementioned Saver's credit which can provide a "return" of as much as 50% of your contributed capital. This capital can be withdrawn tax free and any returns can be withdrawn for qualified expenses (typically education, healthcare or first time housing).

You could probably also throw some money into an HSA if you're planning to use the money anyway for healthcare expenses and that would provide a tax deduction if you move into a higher tax bracket in the coming year.

Why is that true? Isnt it just the same on any risk vs. reward scale

any recommendation as to what to invest in through a roth acount?

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »
Why is that true? Isnt it just the same on any risk vs. reward scale

any recommendation as to what to invest in through a roth acount?
Exactly risk/reward. You said you didn't want to put it all on red.

I can't opine on particular investments. If your time horizon is long enough find a good low cost index fund.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:51 PM »
yes not everything on red. But i also find it pointless to lock up "little " amount even on "great" interest rates.

I am looking to make money but not put it on red. Looking for a risky but worth the risk kind of investment.

Thanks for your advice.
Sorry for my unprofessional terminology...:) 

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
yes not everything on red. But i also find it pointless to lock up "little " amount even on "great" interest rates.

I am looking to make money but not put it on red. Looking for a risky but worth the risk kind of investment.

Thanks for your advice.
Sorry for my unprofessional terminology...:)
You should take a look at Future Advisor, see what they recommend. You put in your current age and 'retirement age' (think of that one as the age you plan to be using this money), as well as your risk tolerance. Then you should be able to just manually input that you have a Roth IRA and report the full amount you plan to invest as cash. Once it's all set up they'll suggest a portfolio, using exclusively commission free ETF's at Fidelity or TD Ameritrade.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »
I wouldnt do index funds... thats kind of like giving up... Its meant for ppl like me that dont know what they are doing. I may fall into the category but i wont let my money fall into it.

Does 15k justify hiring a firm to manage my money?

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »
I wouldnt do index funds... thats kind of like giving up... Its meant for ppl like me that dont know what they are doing. I may fall into the category but i wont let my money fall into it.

say what?

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 02:50:52 PM »
why is outperforming most funds in the market giving up?
"Indexing" is a passive form of fund management that has been successful in outperforming most actively managed mutual funds.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »

That's an extremely ignorant comment. First of all, index funds just means they're meant to track a 'basket' of other assets. So you can have an ETF tracking international REIT's, which would obviously be big risk/big reward. Future Advisor's approach is based on a ton of research, with foundations in modern portfolio theory and other major, data-driven investment theory. When they suggest the portfolio, they also show you the expected returns in various market conditions.

Offline srf60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »

For example , you will go with  those mutual funds...
Do you know that index funds outperform mutual funds by far????

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 03:04:54 PM »
I read other articals that are against index funds . with proof showing that the only make money on 10-20 days of the year. while loosing on all the other. so yes if you would look at the anual history it may have made money but you have to be in on all the bad days aswell ... The name of thwe aurther was rick edelman in "the lies about money" . He disproves mutual funds...

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 03:07:19 PM »
Just to give you an example, my portfolio (mostly Roth money with a little Coverdell too) that I have invested based on Future Advisor's recommendations is sitting at a >9% return YTD, which has only been 4 months. Contrast that with the best performing of the major indices this year (S&P) at ~6.8% on the year. I'm paying no commissions or fees because of the ETF's they use.

Obviously this is a small (perhaps even tiny) sample size, and my investment horizon is extremely long, but it should give you some food for thought.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 03:08:16 PM »
I read other articals that are against index funds . with proof showing that the only make money on 10-20 days of the year. while loosing on all the other. so yes if you would look at the anual history it may have made money but you have to be in on all the bad days aswell ... The name of thwe aurther was rick edelman in "the lies about money" . He disproves mutual funds...
So you're looking to be a day trader then? That's called putting it all on red.

ETA: Lol, just googled it.
Edelman summarizes the academic research on Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT) and the value of holding a portfolio of noncorrelated asset classes in Chapter 2. Chapters 3 and 4 cover the history of the mutual fund industry and its recent scandals. Chapters 5 and 6 explain the advantages of passive investing using low-cost institutional index funds, namely Dimemsion Fund Advisors and exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
So basically he wants you to have a portfolio of ETF's that are diversified according to MPT - exactly what Future Advisor's does for you. Except that they do it for fee, while his company charges for it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 03:11:42 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
Just to give you an example, my portfolio (mostly Roth money with a little Coverdell too) that I have invested based on Future Advisor's recommendations is sitting at a >9% return YTD, which has only been 4 months. Contrast that with the best performing of the major indices this year (S&P) at ~6.8% on the year. I'm paying no commissions or fees because of the ETF's they use.

Obviously this is a small (perhaps even tiny) sample size, and my investment horizon is extremely long, but it should give you some food for thought.

Did you set up your protfolio by your self ( meaning just with future advisor)?