Author Topic: Random questions.  (Read 984579 times)

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Random questions.
« Reply #1580 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:06 AM »
Can someone translate the few Hebrew words for me?

It was a FULL PLANE not one seat empty. My daughter got to her window seat and i to my aisle seat. The middle seat sat a חרדי gentleman. He asked if one of us could switch seats to make it a bit more comfortable. I understood but my daughter wasn’t giving up her window n being claustrophobic was not giving up my aisle seat. To my surprise he said ok and sat down. Half way towards our trip the male flight attendant ( who was חילוני) said to the man in the middle, in my 20 years of working on El Al i have never seen a very religious man not complain or make a commotion to get his seat changed because he was sitting between two women. The flight attendant takes the man’s hand and says with love and sincerity, this is a קדוש השם he probably said it 3x.
 Time went by and i turned to my neighbor n said i heard what the flight attendant told you. First its the month of elul and wow I’m very impressed but i have a question? When you saw you would be sitting between 2 girls why didn’t you asked to be switch? The man in the middle said why would i? You told me your daughter likes the window you need the aisle what would be the point of getting angry? To hurt another person’s feelings? To let anger control me? He began talking to me about the שלחן עורך about the essence of Torah n love it.
 One more thing about this חרדי man, he kept on apologizing when he asked me to get up to go use the facilities and when he returned to his seat.
 We need to break down these physical barriers or preconceive notions of people based on their external appearance or Bec of a few rotten apples who smell the loudest.
חרדי - orthodox
חילוני - nonobservant Jew
קידוש השם - sanctification of gods name
שלחן ערוך - Jewish code of law

Apologies in advance if u need to fit it in, but that's the best I can do

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: September 07, 2016, 12:53:27 AM »

It was a FULL PLANE not one seat empty. My daughter got to her window seat and i to my aisle seat. The middle seat sat a חרדי gentleman. He asked if one of us could switch seats to make it a bit more comfortable. I understood but my daughter wasn’t giving up her window n being claustrophobic was not giving up my aisle seat. To my surprise he said ok and sat down. Half way towards our trip the male flight attendant ( who was חילוני) said to the man in the middle, in my 20 years of working on El Al i have never seen a very religious man not complain or make a commotion to get his seat changed because he was sitting between two women. The flight attendant takes the man’s hand and says with love and sincerity, this is a קדוש השם he probably said it 3x.
 Time went by and i turned to my neighbor n said i heard what the flight attendant told you. First its the month of elul and wow I’m very impressed but i have a question? When you saw you would be sitting between 2 girls why didn’t you asked to be switch? The man in the middle said why would i? You told me your daughter likes the window you need the aisle what would be the point of getting angry? To hurt another person’s feelings? To let anger control me? He began talking to me about the שלחן עורך about the essence of Torah n love it.
 One more thing about this חרדי man, he kept on apologizing when he asked me to get up to go use the facilities and when he returned to his seat.
 We need to break down these physical barriers or preconceive notions of people based on their external appearance or Bec of a few rotten apples who smell the loudest.
= Book of law (misspelled) שלחן עורך

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
Random questions.
« Reply #1582 on: September 07, 2016, 12:53:37 AM »
Can someone translate the few Hebrew words for me

Snip

I'm generalizing
חרדי - religious
חילוני -non religious
קדוש השם - literally sanctifying the name= of God
the שלחן עורך - name of the book of laws by which we conduct ourselves

Eta. Wasn't there a thread for this?

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1583 on: September 07, 2016, 12:54:43 AM »

חרדי= religious
 חילוני = non religious
קדוש השם = sanctifies gds name

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 07, 2016, 12:58:18 AM »
I know the feeling when trying to type in ivrit and not realizing that 3 people already responded

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:21 AM »
I know the feeling when trying to type in ivrit and not realizing that 3 people already responded
+1
But can you please translate the word עברית?   :P

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 07, 2016, 01:48:31 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 07, 2016, 01:49:45 AM »
Eta. Wasn't there a thread for this?
AFAIK not for Hebrew translation but TimT could answer that better.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 07, 2016, 04:09:05 AM »

Beautiful story, but such nonsense!
An ELAL FA for 30 years, and he never saw a Charedi sit between 2 women without complaining? I call bluff!

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 07, 2016, 07:59:28 AM »
Beautiful story, but such nonsense!
An ELAL FA for 30 years, and he never saw a Charedi sit between 2 women without complaining? I call bluff!
FTFY

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1590 on: September 07, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 07, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »
Master thread to help me with words/phrases.
Wow there is everything here but no Hebrew translation in that one.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 07, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »
Wow there is everything here but no Hebrew translation in that one.
I recall seeing one at some point but I can't find it. It might just have been some people discussing making one but not an actual thread.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 07, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 07, 2016, 07:52:18 PM »
Talking from experience?
No just that I didn't even consider the flight attendants perspective.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: September 07, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 14, 2016, 01:42:38 PM »
anyway to make phone call online besides google voice

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 14, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 06, 2016, 08:09:32 PM »
Are amex chat reps screen names system generated, or do they choose their username for the day before starting?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 06, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
Are amex chat reps screen names system generated, or do they choose their username for the day before starting?
I have the same question every time I chat.. No way do all these Indians have American names.