Author Topic: Random questions.  (Read 979928 times)

Online imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Random questions.
« Reply #6120 on: August 22, 2022, 12:43:25 PM »
Lol it's a leading question
Shh. I’m playing dumb  ;)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: August 22, 2022, 12:44:27 PM »
So it’s totally incidental to the question and you’re just wondering why images add anything to the content of magazines in general?
Is it specifically pictures of men that has you confused? Do you get why pictures of other people/things/places might be beneficial to the reader?
Specifically men.
I understand if an article is about a winding road, and they want to show an image to convey just how winding the road is.  Or if it's about travel to the Maldives, which most people are unfamiliar with, so a picture helps them understand what it looks like. 

But pictures of men just show us that the man being discussed is a man.  What do we gain by viewing his particular eyes, nose, mouth, style of hair or of hat? 

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: August 22, 2022, 12:53:16 PM »
But pictures of men just show us that the man being discussed is a man.  What do we gain by viewing his particular eyes, nose, mouth, style of hair or of hat?
So same question about pictures of women for the magazines that publish them?

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: August 22, 2022, 12:55:05 PM »
Why do frum newspapers and magazines include photos of men?  What does it add to the story?

It humanizes them and creates more relatability to the story. Sites, media, and stories which contain images have better reader engagement than text only stories. If there is no downside, why not?

To quote a famous Rabbi, it's a lot easier to answer questions than to answer answers.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: August 22, 2022, 01:01:38 PM »
So same question about pictures of women for the magazines that publish them?
I'm wondering why the magazines that made the controversial decision to eliminate pictures of women didn't simply eliminate all photos, at least of adults.   For children, I can understand that the value of the picture is for the child, who is excited to see themselves in the paper, but I don't expect most rosh yeshivas feel the same way.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: August 22, 2022, 01:03:06 PM »
I'm wondering why the magazines that made the controversial decision to eliminate pictures of women didn't simply eliminate all photos, at least of adults.   For children, I can understand that the value of the picture is for the child, who is excited to see themselves in the paper, but I don't expect most rosh yeshivas feel the same way.

Why do you assume that the images are for the enjoyment of the subject, instead of being targeted towards engaging the readers?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6126 on: August 22, 2022, 01:05:41 PM »
It humanizes them and creates more relatability to the story. Sites, media, and stories which contain images have better reader engagement than text only stories. If there is no downside, why not?
Obvious responses being obvious...
So we humanize men, but not women? What does that tell women?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: August 22, 2022, 01:06:42 PM »

To quote a famous Rabbi, it's a lot easier to answer questions than to answer answers.

Reader engagement?  Maybe eye-catching, but people will read if the text is interesting enough.

Humanizes?  I don't see it.  The story is about a human.  I can understand if the story were about someone doing physics research, which most of us can't imagine a normal person would do, so you show a photo to make that physicist seem like a normal human being. 

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: August 22, 2022, 01:08:55 PM »
Why do you assume that the images are for the enjoyment of the subject, instead of being targeted towards engaging the readers?
I wasn't making that assumption, I was just pre-answering you if you were to make that argument, by saying that I think it applies only to children.  Frum newspapers often have pictures of schoolchildren, and I imagine the readers (and buyers) are the parents and grandparents who want a copy.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #6129 on: August 22, 2022, 01:10:04 PM »
Obvious responses being obvious...
So we humanize men, but not women? What does that tell women?

*If there is no downside*

Now, whether the downside in question is a lack of tznius or humanizing women is the real question  ;)

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: August 22, 2022, 01:14:59 PM »
I'm wondering why the magazines that made the controversial decision to eliminate pictures of women didn't simply eliminate all photos, at least of adults.
Because undeniably pictures add to the article. And they obviously feel it isn’t dehumanizing to women to stick to the age old sentiment of כל כבודה בת מלך פנימה.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: August 22, 2022, 01:20:26 PM »
Because undeniably pictures add to the article. And they obviously feel it isn’t dehumanizing to women to stick to the age old sentiment of כל כבודה בת מלך פנימה.
? Convince me.  What does it add?

Obviously I'm not opposed to photos of women, which are in the publications I do read, but what I'm really wondering here is what the value is in the photos of men. 

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: August 22, 2022, 01:20:48 PM »
*If there is no downside*

Now, whether the downside in question is a lack of tznius or humanizing women is the real question  ;)

How is posting pictures of men dehumanizing women or a lack of tznius?

Whether posting pictures of women has downsides which outweigh the upsides is the age old question, but how does getting rid of men in the name of equality help that?

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: August 22, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »
Obviously I'm not opposed to photos of women, which are in the publications I do read
So you’re not opposed, but does it add anything?

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: August 22, 2022, 01:25:37 PM »
Reader engagement?  Maybe eye-catching, but people will read if the text is interesting enough.

Humanizes?  I don't see it.  The story is about a human.  I can understand if the story were about someone doing physics research, which most of us can't imagine a normal person would do, so you show a photo to make that physicist seem like a normal human being.

Do you work in media? The increased engagement which images add is an undeniable fact backed up by all the data. The question of why isn't as relevant as whether this is true or not, and it seems fairly factual that it is.

https://megaphone.com.au/6-scientific-reasons-visuals-increase-engagement/ (I can't believe I actually googled this - it feels like googling a study evidencing that most people are uncomfortable in temperatures greater than 90 degrees and below 40 degrees. It's something which everyone knows to be true.)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6135 on: August 22, 2022, 01:26:44 PM »
How is posting pictures of men dehumanizing women or a lack of tznius?

Whether posting pictures of women has downsides which outweigh the upsides is the age old question, but how does getting rid of men in the name of equality help that?
Isn't it about a 30-year question?  Whatever.  It was in that other thread. 

Get rid of photos of men because they don't add to the story.  I can understand if it were a photo of a man doing something that we wouldn't usually see, so you might show a man who's scaling a mountain or walking a tightrope, which might be hard to otherwise imagine.  But the photos are usually just man-making-speech or men-sitting-in-audience or men-shaking-hands, all of which we can easily imagine without a photo. 

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: August 22, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »
So you’re not opposed, but does it add anything?
I'm not going there.  Not interested in women today.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: August 22, 2022, 01:31:45 PM »
Do you work in media? The increased engagement which images add is an undeniable fact backed up by all the data. The question of why isn't as relevant as whether this is true or not, and it seems fairly factual that it is.

https://megaphone.com.au/6-scientific-reasons-visuals-increase-engagement/ (I can't believe I actually googled this - it feels like googling a study evidencing that most people are uncomfortable in temperatures greater than 90 degrees and below 40 degrees. It's something which everyone knows to be true.)
No, I don't work in media, unless you count DDF.
You're showing that photos will increase viewership on facebook, tweets, etc, but the frum media is mostly print newspapers and magazines.  They don't have tons of competition, and I don't think they're living for Likes or Retweets.  Yes, readers like to see pictures, but the readers of frum newspapers are used to reading unillustrated texts, and I expect they'd buy the newspaper at the same rate without photos.

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: August 22, 2022, 01:32:14 PM »
Get rid of photos of men because they don't add to the story.  I can understand if it were a photo of a man doing something that we wouldn't usually see, so you might show a man who's scaling a mountain or walking a tightrope, which might be hard to otherwise imagine.  But the photos are usually just man-making-speech or men-sitting-in-audience or men-shaking-hands, all of which we can easily imagine without a photo.
They usually aren’t just random pictures of random men, they’re usually men being referenced in the article. Undeniably interesting to the reader.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: August 22, 2022, 01:37:07 PM »
No, I don't work in media, unless you count DDF.
You're showing that photos will increase viewership on facebook, tweets, etc, but the frum media is mostly print newspapers and magazines.  They don't have tons of competition, and I don't think they're living for Likes or Retweets.  Yes, readers like to see pictures, but the readers of frum newspapers are used to reading unillustrated texts, and I expect they'd buy the newspaper at the same rate without photos.

Did you read the article linked? (There is plenty of competition in the frum media market, btw.)