Author Topic: Random questions.  (Read 986080 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Random questions.
« Reply #6140 on: August 22, 2022, 01:41:31 PM »
Did you read the article linked? (There is plenty of competition in the frum media market, btw.)
Yes, but it's geared towards social media posts, which are more image-dependent, not print media which is read by an audience more easily engaged by text.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: August 22, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »
I'm not going there.  Not interested in women today.
No use in denying that’s it’s at the crux of your question.
You certainly understand that pictures add to publications. Your beef is that men aren’t eliminated together with the women in the name of egalitarianism.
Completely absurd to say the least.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: August 22, 2022, 01:46:56 PM »
They usually aren’t just random pictures of random men, they’re usually men being referenced in the article. Undeniably interesting to the reader.
I'm denying it.  If I read a story about some man who gave a speech, and I look at a photo that says Yes!  It really was a man!  And he has a beard!  And a hat!  And he spoke!  I'm denying that I'd find the photo adds to the story.  I feel the same way, BTW, about photos of Biden or Trump giving a speech.  It'd be interesting if it's a photo of them falling off a bike or tripping when walking down a ramp.  But giving a speech? I see the photos in those cases as just being filler for the newspaper.  Why does that add to the story for you?

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: August 22, 2022, 01:52:23 PM »
No use in denying that’s it’s at the crux of your question.
You certainly understand that pictures add to publications. Your beef is that men aren’t eliminated together with the women in the name of egalitarianism.
Completely absurd to say the least.
Denying, again.

I admit that I find it ludicrous that frum publications have this ban on publishing photos of women, but that's been discussed before, and is not what I'm asking about now.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: August 22, 2022, 01:56:35 PM »
You certainly understand that pictures add to publications.

DDF manages to maintain our interest without too many images.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: August 22, 2022, 01:59:46 PM »
What does your question have to do with religious publications that don’t publish pictures of women anymore than the ones you read?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6146 on: August 22, 2022, 01:59:51 PM »
How is posting pictures of men dehumanizing women or a lack of tznius?

Whether posting pictures of women has downsides which outweigh the upsides is the age old question, but how does getting rid of men in the name of equality help that?
You can't see how this is dehumanizing?

Minor changes.  "Ridiculous" would be if they transformed you into a globe.
https://www.amimagazine.org/2017/12/06/women-know-adina-weinberger/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moish613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: August 22, 2022, 02:02:38 PM »
I'm denying it.  If I read a story about some man who gave a speech, and I look at a photo that says Yes!  It really was a man!  And he has a beard!  And a hat!  And he spoke!  I'm denying that I'd find the photo adds to the story.  I feel the same way, BTW, about photos of Biden or Trump giving a speech.  It'd be interesting if it's a photo of them falling off a bike or tripping when walking down a ramp.  But giving a speech? I see the photos in those cases as just being filler for the newspaper.  Why does that add to the story for you?
The photos are also part of the magazines effort to keep the magazine aesthetically pleasing. Choosing the right font, layout of columns, headlines, colors etc. are all important.
DDF usually has short snippets, no 1500 word articles, is interactive, and has a tiny percent of the readership that these magazines have.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: August 22, 2022, 02:07:48 PM »
You can't see how this is dehumanizing?

How is posting pictures of men dehumanizing women or a lack of tznius?

Whether posting pictures of women has downsides which outweigh the upsides is the age old question, but how does getting rid of men in the name of equality help that?

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: August 22, 2022, 02:30:05 PM »

We Respond to Faces

Recognising another human face is important to us, so much so there is a section of the brain devoted to it: the fusiform gyrus. What a word.

There is something about seeing a human face that gets the neurons in our brain excited and highly active when perceiving it. Interestingly, these mentioned neurons are less responsive with less and less of a face shown. A neat circuit between these neurons and another area of the brain known as the Amygdala, is activated when a person sees a facial expression. It plays an important role in the body’s fight-or-flight response.

If you can add in a recognisable face, all the better. It has been shown that single neurons can react to the faces of specific people.

Even just considering the effect of a concluding smiley emoticon that adds a pleased, flirtatious or passive-aggressive tone to a message, chat or email. Research has indicated our brains have started to take these little punctuation faces a step further- actually perceiving them as we would perceive a real face.

So in your next post use the brain’s natural process to grab attention- add in a face.

We Recognise Emotion

Emotion, an integral part of human interaction and any marketing strategy.

An emotional image attracts immediate attention, and is actually processed in a prioritised manner. As we respond to faces, we look for emotion in others to influence our own behaviours. Recognising facial expressions is ingrained in us and are universally read across cultures.

Whether you are intentionally conveying emotion or not with your post, users’ will still feel emotion when they view your post. Ideally it is not boredom. Positive content spreads faster and farther than tear-jerking content. In thought, when you consider sharing a post with a friend- who wants to a Debbie Downer? By tapping into a user’s feeling of awe and happiness it increases their likelihood to share the content.

We Remember What We See

When we try to remember something, a picture always comes to mind. We evolved for images, not words so it is natural to tie an image to a memory.

Not only do we remember things visually but we remember visuals much better than we do words. Heard of the Pictorial Superiority Effect? Let’s put it into an image (you’ll retain and remember it better).

Based on research, after 3 days, if we read text alone we would only remember 10 percent of the information. Whereas, presented with text along with a relevant image we are 65% more likely to recall this information.

You're a more data based person by personality (I'm guessing), so this may not be as relatable to you as it pertains to the average person (who has a pretty difficult time reading through a medical study or the proverbial wall of text). Attractive graphics, layout, and insertion of imagery helps them not get bored and turn the page (the average person doesn't necessarily read a magazine or paper from cover to cover, which is why it's important for articles and advertisements to be attention grabbing), and to retain the information consumed through memory hooks.

You know all this, though. You're likely significantly more educated than myself in most fields, this one included (this is all pretty basic for anyone in any sort of educational or informational capacity, particularly if catering to a clientele that needs things presented in a maximally palatable fashion).

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6150 on: August 22, 2022, 02:58:20 PM »
Why do frum newspapers and magazines include photos of men?

Because it helps them sell more copies. People have an urge to see pictures of celebrities.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6151 on: August 22, 2022, 03:05:15 PM »
Because it helps them sell more copies. People have an urge to see pictures of celebrities.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: August 22, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »
The photos are also part of the magazines effort to keep the magazine aesthetically pleasing. Choosing the right font, layout of columns, headlines, colors etc. are all important.
I can  understand the font, layout, colors, etc, and interspersing white space to make smaller blocks of text.  And I can understand photos that are meaningful additions to the text.  I just don't see how a headshot or standing-at-a-shtender photo adds to the text.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: August 22, 2022, 03:59:28 PM »

You're a more data based person by personality (I'm guessing), so this may not be as relatable to you as it pertains to the average person (who has a pretty difficult time reading through a medical study or the proverbial wall of text). Attractive graphics, layout, and insertion of imagery helps them not get bored and turn the page (the average person doesn't necessarily read a magazine or paper from cover to cover, which is why it's important for articles and advertisements to be attention grabbing), and to retain the information consumed through memory hooks.

You know all this, though. You're likely significantly more educated than myself in most fields, this one included (this is all pretty basic for anyone in any sort of educational or informational capacity, particularly if catering to a clientele that needs things presented in a maximally palatable fashion).
Yes, we respond to faces, so they're a good way to grab attention.  If I were designing a billboard on the side of the road where people usually don't look, I put a face there to grab their attention.  But we're talking about a page of a newspaper that people have already decided to buy.  You already have their attention.

Yes, we respond to emotion and facial expressions.  But the newspaper photos I've seen aren't usually faces expressing some kind of emotion, they're just people giving a lecture or maybe smiling at the camera.

Yes, we remember better when we see something, so educators often include images for that reason.  Is that what you think when you see the photo?  "That was very useful, now I'll remember that  ____ gave a speech last week"?

I'm not saying there should be pictures, but the pictures should add some meaning to the article, and there are a lot more interesting ways to do that rather than a headshot and/or speaker shot.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: August 22, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »
Is that so?  I'm not familiar with them, in general, so wouldn't know.  Are these people celebrities? 

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: August 22, 2022, 04:02:33 PM »

I am WAY behind on that series.  Maybe I should take that out of the library this week instead of the Yated.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: August 22, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »
Why do people have avatar pictures?
Good question!  How would you answer it?

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: August 22, 2022, 04:12:20 PM »
Good question!  How would you answer it?

What picture doesn't matter but the reader's brain definitely processes much faster who the poster is.   

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #6158 on: August 22, 2022, 04:22:30 PM »
You all love Chaim's picture!!!
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: August 22, 2022, 04:25:03 PM »
What picture doesn't matter but the reader's brain definitely processes much faster who the poster is.   
True.  When I see posts from YitzyS, I immediately realize I'm about to hear from a fun-loving, mischievous, skinny boy, who's about 3 1/2 feet tall.

ETA: Still envision him that way, even if he's masquerading as a flag.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 04:41:30 PM by biobook »