Author Topic: Random questions.  (Read 986542 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Random questions.
« Reply #6520 on: December 18, 2022, 01:29:52 PM »
Ok guys I have a delicate question here I’m pretty sure no one here will know the details so I’ll pose the question here as a starter:

I lent my laptop to someone who lives in isreal. I happen to have covenant eyes installed on it.( it’s a software that takes random screenshots of the screen and emails it to me). I think I did tell him about it but not 100% sure. Now I know this guys wife has a little brother in isreal who probably comes over once in a while. I’ve seen screenshots of some basketball games etc.
but then today…I started seeing… let’s just say,things I shouldn’t be seeing.
Now I don’t assume it’s the from the guy I lent to as he’s in yeshiva all day and is above suspicion. His wife im also ruling out. So I assume it’s her little brother who comes over to visit.

The question is : what do I do?
I don’t want to ruin this kid but I also don’t want him to stumble anymore.
I can’t really tell them bc that’ll be way too embarrassing to no end.
If you don't know whether you mentioned it, you should disable it or the notifications going to you and not get involved.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: December 18, 2022, 01:30:05 PM »
no
I don’t want the kid to know anyone knows. Just to somehow remove the access for him
If it's not this device it's another. You can't fix such an issue with removing devices or access.
Or alternatively
you should .. not get involved.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: December 18, 2022, 01:39:54 PM »
If it's not this device it's another. You can't fix such an issue with removing devices or access.

I would disagree on this one.
Of course your'e not going to "fix the issue". But it might still be your duty to try to minimize his capabilities.

I would try to get them to install a filter, any filter, in a smart way, without mentioning the problem.

Offline flyingace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: December 18, 2022, 01:43:21 PM »
Of course your'e not going to "fix the issue". But it might still be your duty to try to minimize his capabilities.

I would try to get them to install a filter, any filter, in a smart way, without mentioning the problem.

Can you remotely add a filter like Netnanny?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6524 on: December 18, 2022, 01:49:15 PM »

If it wasn't disclosed, this is a massive invasion of privacy and is against the law. I'd suggest running away from the situation ASAP.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #6525 on: December 18, 2022, 01:53:56 PM »
If it wasn't disclosed, this is a massive invasion of privacy and is against the law. I'd suggest running away from the situation ASAP.
Your talking about the legal part of things, and were talking about his duty as a yid.

How about he just says, that he needs the laptop back for some reason?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: December 18, 2022, 01:55:42 PM »
to clarify, the people I lent it to is a relative. Not that it makes the privacy issue null, but I think it’s less of an issue in this regard.

I hear everyone’s response here so thank you. If there’s more responses I’m happy to hear
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: December 18, 2022, 01:58:47 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: December 18, 2022, 01:59:57 PM »
Your talking about the legal part of things, and were talking about his duty as a yid.

How about he just says, that he needs the laptop back for some reason?
You think halacha allows to you spy on someone like this without disclosure?

Yes, that would be fine of course.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: December 18, 2022, 02:02:55 PM »

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: December 18, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »
You think halacha allows to you spy on someone like this without disclosure?

No. He doesn't want to continue spying, and he's not asking how to spy.

He found out something, in a permitted or not permitted way, and he wants to know how to go about it

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 02:07:40 PM by ah giten »

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #6531 on: December 18, 2022, 02:52:08 PM »
I would remind the guy that you have this app installed and ask if he wants you to monitor it at all. I would also let him know that there is no kosher filter installed and recommend that he install one.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: December 18, 2022, 10:11:35 PM »
Thank you all for your advice I hear you all! Especially thanks to those who dm’ed extensive advice
I’m going to work with many of what you all mentioned (and of course these days I had to get chat gpt’s advice as well :) ).
Kol hakavod!

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: December 18, 2022, 11:47:17 PM »
I think ignoring this is the wrong response.

I think that you may be catching this right at the onset - until now there were only basketball games etc. It may be the first major fall, and what better time to teach someone that there is always an עין רואה.

Also, most that fall want help to get up again. It's not doing him a favor to let him stumble into a hole that he may never be able to climb out of.

Hashem arranged that you should see this. The onus is on you to help him.

How to do it? I don't know. It's something that requires remarkable tact, probably daas Torah. But simply to ignore taking steps that could save someone's spiritual life is potentially לא תעמוד על דם ריעך.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 11:59:12 PM by YitzyS »

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #6534 on: December 18, 2022, 11:57:42 PM »
Ok guys I have a delicate question here I’m pretty sure no one here will know the details so I’ll pose the question here as a starter:

I lent my laptop to someone who lives in isreal. I happen to have covenant eyes installed on it.( it’s a software that takes random screenshots of the screen and emails it to me). I think I did tell him about it but not 100% sure. Now I know this guys wife has a little brother in isreal who probably comes over once in a while. I’ve seen screenshots of some basketball games etc.
Now I don’t assume it’s the from the guy I lent to as he’s in yeshiva all day and is above suspicion. His wife im also ruling out. So I assume it’s her little brother who comes over to visit.

So many things at play here.
How will they react to the software if you didn't tell them?
I would not assume it was the little brother.
IMHO what you should do is based on who was responsible for what you saw. 
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #6535 on: December 19, 2022, 03:39:46 AM »
+1 Daas Torah.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: December 19, 2022, 03:43:57 AM »

I have a friend who rents computers out. even though he has them filtered, once in a while they come back with "stuff" on them. What he does is that he doesn't mention it but tells those people if they come back that there were viruses on the computer and that they can never rent again.
Maybe you can do the same to your friend. Tell them that the antivirus is telling you that throughout the day there are threats from viruses and that they should please be careful with your computer and not let anyone else use it except them. This is because you are sure they don't go onto any hacker websites etc. etc.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #6537 on: December 19, 2022, 04:11:35 AM »
I have a friend who rents computers out. even though he has them filtered, once in a while they come back with "stuff" on them. What he does is that he doesn't mention it but tells those people if they come back that there were viruses on the computer and that they can never rent again.
Maybe you can do the same to your friend. Tell them that the antivirus is telling you that throughout the day there are threats from viruses and that they should please be careful with your computer and not let anyone else use it except them. This is because you are sure they don't go onto any hacker websites etc. etc.
Very clever idea, and I like it. (a - virus = aveiros)
Just make sure that daas Torah says you are absolved from doing more on a case-by-case basis.
I've become aware of people accessing bas stuff on three different occasions. I asked R' Berkovits what to do in each of these and got a different answer for each. (In one case, he told me just to post a poster for GYE in the shul he davens in!) This case is particularly subtle, so you should ask someone worldly who is a gadol what to do about it. Use as much detail and context as you can. Best if the gadol knows the family in question...
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: December 19, 2022, 07:58:13 AM »
Renting out filtered devices and loaning a family member a laptop without disclosing that it has snooping spyware on it is a world of difference. Never mind continuing to snoop over time without letting them know when you first noticed you had access to that without disclosing it.

I sure hope you speak to a competent LOR and lawyer who are aware of the ramifications and fallout of what can happen as you're walking on very thin ice here. This is a question beyond internet forum answers or neat hoche'ach tochiach requirements.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:04:07 AM by Dan »

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #6539 on: December 19, 2022, 09:48:08 AM »
My son is on his way to Ukraine again. He flew via MXP. Can you guess why prompted him to write "I love this airline" about EK?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan