Author Topic: Random questions.  (Read 963354 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Random questions.
« Reply #600 on: November 27, 2015, 02:34:15 AM »
My wife's been a teacher for many year, so let me answer from our perspective: absolutely, unquestionably, A. Cash and a nice note means far more than a gift certificate or a cute gift, and is more practical than a check.

Even for smaller amounts - $20, $25, whatever. Even a little gesture of application towards a teacher means a world to him/her.

With cash I could do whatever I like with it, whenever I like. It's a gift that is the most practical, the most useful, and therefore the most appreciated.

A check on the other hand, while just as useful as cash, has its drawbacks. For example, we once had a check bounce. What were we supposed to do? Ask the parent for a new one? Ask them to pay the fee?...

Gift certificates often have all sorts of arbitrary limitations, again making it less useful. And thats besides the obvious fact that they could only be used is one specific Judaica store or whatever.

And a gift, as a general rule, is useless. It may be "cute", it may be thoughtful, but in the end I'd rather you just gave me the cash you spent on it. Do you know how many towels we have around the house with my wife's initials on them, but that do not actually dry your hands at all? Do you know how many witty mugs collect dust? And just how many makeup bags can one person use?

A caveat and a note:

1 - Gifts could be a great idea when the entire class gets together to chip in for something relatively big or expensive. Instead of being a little, useless knickknack, these are usually very well thought out and useful things. (I'm not saying that I wouldn't prefer the cash here as well, but it's quite nice to get something really nice that you wouldn't otherwise get.)
2- If you can't afford to give something to a teacher (Heaven knows how these things stack up between a couple of teachers/bus drivers/whatnot), just send in a nice note. It's incredibly appreciated as well. Teachers work hard with each and every child and few things are better than hearing that their work is appreciated.
Very well summed up. Just to add, if you're only gonna give petty cash (as SF put it at $20, $25) you should write up something very nice, cuz in that case it'll usually end up being the note that means more to the teacher than the money. (Not that when you give more there's no need for a nice not of appreciation.)

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #601 on: November 27, 2015, 02:39:10 AM »
Very well summed up. Just to add, if you're only gonna give petty cash (as SF put it at $20, $25) you should write up something very nice, cuz in that case it'll usually end up being the note that means more to the teacher than the money. (Not that when you give more there's no need for a nice not of appreciation.)

I'd like to find a single teacher who considers a $20 gesture "petty cash". Getting only $20 doesn't mean "we think you're only worth so much"; it means "this is what I could give, but I appreciate you just as much as the parent who gave you $100".  Everyone should give what they could give, whether it's $100, $20, or a simple note. Nothing's "petty".
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 27, 2015, 04:09:28 AM »
I'd like to find a single teacher who considers a $20 gesture "petty cash". Getting only $20 doesn't mean "we think you're only worth so much"; it means "this is what I could give, but I appreciate you just as much as the parent who gave you $100".  Everyone should give what they could give, whether it's $100, $20, or a simple note. Nothing's "petty".
Hence the added note which shows the value the parent holds of the teacher's tireless efforts. (And sorry for the word petty.)

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 27, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Can't buy an eBay gc with it?

From any seller? Are there reports of buyers getting scammed?

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 27, 2015, 09:25:49 AM »
From any seller? Are there reports of buyers getting scammed?
But from PayPal digital gifts email delivery. You'll have it within an hour, and it'll be active within four.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 27, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
But from PayPal digital gifts email delivery. You'll have it within an hour, and it'll be active within four.

Thank you

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 27, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
+1. I was a counselor in a camp for a few years, I told my that IMHO a quarter with a nice thank you from a parent means more to me than $100 that a parent sends back with the kid at the end of visiting day
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 29, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
+1. I was a counselor in a camp for a few years, I told my that IMHO a quarter with a nice thank you from a parent means more to me than $100 that a parent sends back with the kid at the end of visiting day
True but not exactly. Sometimes (like in the case where it's $100) you can see their appreciation on the amount that they gave (most of the times). If they're giving smaller amounts then definitely the note makes all the difference.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 29, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »
True but not exactly. Sometimes (like in the case where it's $100) you can see their appreciation on the amount that they gave (most of the times). If they're giving smaller amounts then definitely the note makes all the difference.
+1. Giving a small amount without a note is sometimes an insult. If you were trying to be yotzeh, you weren't.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 29, 2015, 06:40:49 PM »
+1. Giving a small amount without a note is sometimes an insult. If you were trying to be yotzeh, you weren't. If you're trying to be appreciative you weren't.
FTFY

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 30, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
Are all the threads that are deleted saved somewhere?
JTZ

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #611 on: November 30, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »

WHY? DO YOU WANT TO SAVE ALL THE BEST ELECTRONICS DEALS ON THE ENTIRE INTERWEBS?

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 30, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »
WHY? DO YOU WANT TO SAVE ALL THE BEST ELECTRONICS DEALS ON THE ENTIRE INTERWEBS?
:) ;) :D ;D
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 30, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
No. That just triggered my interest. Some threads (like Elections 2016) were a lot better than that, though.
(And don't be mean, I lost a post in the demise of the Amazon affiliate garbage one. Actually, I lost a bunch of posts, since I think it's the same person who made a bunch of these a couple of weeks ago.)
JTZ

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 30, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »
Yes, Dan has mentioned it a few times.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 30, 2015, 11:04:26 PM »
He saves it because those are the most interesting ones, for sure.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 09, 2015, 12:53:15 AM »
Is there a website that you can input all your Flight confirmations and have all your reservations in one spot?

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 09, 2015, 01:14:33 AM »
Is there a website that you can input all your Flight confirmations and have all your reservations in one spot?
trip it
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 09, 2015, 01:20:57 AM »
trip it
You give them access to your email? Not comfortable with that at all.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 09, 2015, 02:28:21 AM »
You give them access to your email? Not comfortable with that at all.
No need to give them access to anything. Just forward the confirmation emails for the flights, cars, hotels etc that you want listed by them.