Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 228823 times)

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline monsey yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #1101 on: July 16, 2023, 10:39:58 PM »
By delta & United different agents give different rates to add an infant to an international flight, anyone have any insights how to get the best rate ?
If you like my post give me a like!

Offline dansdealsfan5

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 01, 2023, 02:03:16 PM »
if question still applicable. Yes nothing to be worried about. What I just did was called ALASKA to add a special service request for a lap infant. Then by the airport (TLV) elal booked a dummy adult ticket and added the infant. Common problem by international flights booked thorough different FFP  just give extra 15 minutes by the airport costed $275 in premium economy

How much would it cost in Business? Was it $275 OW or RT? Thanks

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 01, 2023, 11:13:49 PM »
How much would it cost in Business? Was it $275 OW or RT? Thanks
ow. Business would have been more expensive

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #1104 on: August 02, 2023, 11:34:21 AM »
Booking flights to Israel. It's DW, myself, 2 yr old, and 10 month old.
Option 1) fly direct ourselves
Option 2) fly with my mother who's happy to help but has a 4 hour stopover in Boston. Total travel time 16hr 15 min

Also night or day flight better?
I think bigger chance kids would sleep on night flight but if they don't then going to be that much harder than a regular day flight.

Also for 2 yr old, is it worth schlepping a car seat just for the plane?

Any suggestions, tips or opinions appreciated!
Me Personally, would prob do stop with help it makes it so much easier specially while trying to attend to 2 kids, as far as night vs day for baby it doesn't really matter and for 2yr as long as its not a really late flight i think my kids adjusted fine.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 10, 2023, 07:22:06 PM »
Hoping someone can help me. I booked a separate seat for infant by transferring points to Quantas for an AA flight cross country. I didn't know what to put for baby so I put mom and then mom baby so Jane Doe in one seat and then Jane Baby Doe (just added the word baby in middle name for the second set.) I thought it would be easy because either I will have that seat as an extra for mom or I would switch name. Called United who said that baby won't be able to come on using that ticket. When I said that I would have two seats for mom they insisted that it wouldn't work because that seat won't be checked in because mom’s name is Jane Doe and not Jane Baby Doe and that only Quantas can change it.
I called Quantas who insists that they can not change it and the only way it can work is cancelling flight and revolving. The problem is that there are no more point availiablilities and flight is now very expensive.
Question. Is it true that they won't allow mom to come on as two seats? Would they remove that seat or will they let him on in his seat at gate?

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 10, 2023, 10:30:49 PM »
Hoping someone can help me. I booked a separate seat for infant by transferring points to Quantas for an AA flight cross country. I didn't know what to put for baby so I put mom and then mom baby so Jane Doe in one seat and then Jane Baby Doe (just added the word baby in middle name for the second set.) I thought it would be easy because either I will have that seat as an extra for mom or I would switch name. Called United who said that baby won't be able to come on using that ticket. When I said that I would have two seats for mom they insisted that it wouldn't work because that seat won't be checked in because mom’s name is Jane Doe and not Jane Baby Doe and that only Quantas can change it.
I called Quantas who insists that they can not change it and the only way it can work is cancelling flight and revolving. The problem is that there are no more point availiablilities and flight is now very expensive.
Question. Is it true that they won't allow mom to come on as two seats? Would they remove that seat or will they let him on in his seat at gate?

AA is now telling me through chat that middle name differences will make no differences for domestic flights

Offline herb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 17, 2023, 10:02:40 PM »
Any suggestions for a seat seat wheeler thing?

The go-go babyz is not available on Amazon
bump

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 19, 2023, 12:37:07 AM »
Any suggestions for a seat seat wheeler thing?

The go-go babyz is not available on Amazon
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225732563094
Is this the same one that @Dan suggests?
I just ordered it but realizing now it seems like its not compatible with the Cosco scenera next, even though people seem to use it for that. Unless I have the wrong one...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1109 on: September 19, 2023, 09:27:07 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225732563094
Is this the same one that @Dan suggests?
I just ordered it but realizing now it seems like its not compatible with the Cosco scenera next, even though people seem to use it for that. Unless I have the wrong one...
Should work.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: January 02, 2024, 10:40:40 PM »
Traveling with an infant NYC-PHX, outbound infant will be 23 months but inbound the infant will be just 24 months. Does infant need a ticket? Should I book 2 one ways and only book ticket for inbound?

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #1111 on: January 02, 2024, 11:32:25 PM »
Traveling with an infant NYC-PHX, outbound infant will be 23 months but inbound the infant will be just 24 months. Does infant need a ticket? Should I book 2 one ways and only book ticket for inbound?

He will need a ticket for sure for the inbound, The outbound is memeila part of the ticket so you’ll be stuck buying a whole ticket anyway, if its on AA and you can book with BA i believe they let you pull schtick that you get a seat for free.

The smartest thing to do would be like you suggested to book each way separately and then youre fine for the first leg

Offline Travel Lover

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 04, 2024, 04:20:08 PM »
Does anyone have some experience adding an infant on Elal business-award booked thru Alska or Quantas ? (I have both)

Already tried calling Alaska & Elal, who are both unable to add

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 21, 2024, 04:10:36 PM »
I booked a ticket with a lap infant not paying attention that the child will be just over 2. Does the airline check birth certificate or just TSA, will TSA make an issue if they see the child is over 2 without their own ticket?
I really should buy another ticket but the price is quite expensive... I originally booked with points but did not have enough for that child anyways.

Edit: When I tried going thru the booking process it will not allow me to book the child because they are under 5... I obviously would like to add them to my itinerary but I'm not sure how to do that before booking the ticket. I would cancel and rebook my mileage tickets but the cost has gone up as well. I am flying united.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 04:21:00 PM by MoYS »

Offline bestwatchman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 21, 2024, 06:26:01 PM »
I booked a ticket with a lap infant not paying attention that the child will be just over 2. Does the airline check birth certificate or just TSA, will TSA make an issue if they see the child is over 2 without their own ticket?
I really should buy another ticket but the price is quite expensive... I originally booked with points but did not have enough for that child anyways.

Edit: When I tried going thru the booking process it will not allow me to book the child because they are under 5... I obviously would like to add them to my itinerary but I'm not sure how to do that before booking the ticket. I would cancel and rebook my mileage tickets but the cost has gone up as well. I am flying united.

I can't speak for your conscience but you shouldn't have an issue so long as you have a lap infant confirmed. You must've put the date of birth in wrong though to be able to have that.

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 21, 2024, 08:02:04 PM »
I can't speak for your conscience but you shouldn't have an issue so long as you have a lap infant confirmed. You must've put the date of birth in wrong though to be able to have that.
Oddly enough I did not. I forgot to add the lap child so I was chatting with united, when they asked me for the DOB I realized that my child will be over 2. At that point I thought about closing the chat so they wouldnt make a note or something so I closed the tabs. I reopened united and lo and behold there same chat opened with a reply from the agent that the lap child was added. 

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 06, 2024, 03:44:37 AM »
Is there a list of countries that don't allow children in with a USA emergency passport?

Offline SHL

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 06, 2024, 04:57:56 AM »
Is there a list of countries that don't allow children in with a USA emergency passport?
Has nothing to do with children either they accept emergency passports or they don't

AFIK there is no official list

Here is the link to the department of state site
Search the country you want and it will tell you under "passport validity" if there is an emergency passport restriction
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 06, 2024, 08:23:45 AM »
Has nothing to do with children either they accept emergency passports or they don't

AFIK there is no official list

Here is the link to the department of state site
Search the country you want and it will tell you under "passport validity" if there is an emergency passport restriction
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html
This is very helpful, Thanks!

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 12, 2024, 12:49:12 AM »
Just flew AA, they refused to let my wife take her Doona onboard saying there is a FAA rule that a car seat can only be put in a window seat and my infant’s paid seat was in middle. I switched with someone who had a window seat and went back, CS said sorry, we already stowed it under the plane. We had to hold my crying baby on a 6 hr flight w/o a car seat.
Anyone knows if there is such a rule? What can I do for compensation?