Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 228820 times)

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #1120 on: February 12, 2024, 12:56:00 AM »
Just flew AA, they refused to let my wife take her Doona onboard saying there is a FAA rule that a car seat can only be put in a window seat and my infant’s paid seat was in middle. I switched with someone who had a window seat and went back, CS said sorry, we already stowed it under the plane. We had to hold my crying baby on a 6 hr flight w/o a car seat.
Anyone knows if there is such a rule? What can I do for compensation?
Had this with UA...

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 12, 2024, 08:47:06 AM »
Just flew AA, they refused to let my wife take her Doona onboard saying there is a FAA rule that a car seat can only be put in a window seat and my infant’s paid seat was in middle. I switched with someone who had a window seat and went back, CS said sorry, we already stowed it under the plane. We had to hold my crying baby on a 6 hr flight w/o a car seat.
Seems like it's not the FAA rather an airline policy
https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children##FlyingTips

According to aa website "window seats are preferred"
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/special-assistance/traveling-children.jsp#safetyseatrequirements
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline notyettaken

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 12, 2024, 08:57:16 AM »

United AA jet blue frontier Alaska and IIRC delta (basically every airline I've flown) had this policy.
Usually they say "that has to be in a window seat", just smile and say "sure no problem" no matter which seat you booked, and work it out on the plane. (Not relevant for me as i always book the row.)

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 12, 2024, 12:14:09 PM »

Actualy, its a sensible rule.
How in the world is the person in the window seat supposed to evacuate in an emergency if there's a doona blocking the way?

Offline bp27

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 12, 2024, 12:47:21 PM »
Actualy, its a sensible rule.
How in the world is the person in the window seat supposed to evacuate in an emergency if there's a doona blocking the way?
Don't you know that we are not allowed to admit that a rule is sensible? We are supposed to blame the airline, complain, call them antisemites, etc.

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: February 12, 2024, 02:19:40 PM »
Forget about emergency, how is the window seat supposed to use the bathroom? The simple answer is you don’t put a rear facing car seat in the other seats, but why not any car seat? All it takes up is the seat space like any person. And btw the seat assigned to my baby was a middle row seat, why doesn’t the system assign window seat to infants?

Offline notyettaken

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 12, 2024, 02:54:30 PM »
And btw the seat assigned to my baby was a middle row seat, why doesn’t the system assign window seat to infants?
you picked it or they assigned it?

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 13, 2024, 10:23:56 AM »
Forget about emergency, how is the window seat supposed to use the bathroom? The simple answer is you don’t put a rear facing car seat in the other seats, but why not any car seat? All it takes up is the seat space like any person. And btw the seat assigned to my baby was a middle row seat, why doesn’t the system assign window seat to infants?

except it doesn't get out of the way in an emergency.  ;D
buying a seat for an infant ≠ necessarily the intention to place any sort of seat there.

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 18, 2024, 02:52:43 PM »
you picked it or they assigned it?
They assigned it

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1129 on: April 01, 2024, 03:15:47 AM »
But the Airline has the right to ask for one before you board. Has anyone have any experience where the airline asked to proof that the lap child is under 2?????
Trying to figure out what to do with baby. he will be 2 and a month (25 months) when we fly to israel, and i think he would sleep better with me in a lie-flat bed, but practically paying the points for a 3rd business seat seems like a waste.

does ELAL or Delta check the passport date of the child to confirm they are under 24 months to be able to be a lap infant? (i know about the safety considerations and have only had him as a lap infant once with several times in a seat, but its hard to get him to actually sleep in his carseat).

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 01, 2024, 05:42:49 AM »
Just flew AA, they refused to let my wife take her Doona onboard saying there is a FAA rule that a car seat can only be put in a window (or middle aisle) seat and my infant’s paid seat was in middle. I switched with someone who had a window seat and went back, CS said sorry, we already stowed it under the plane. We had to hold my crying baby on a 6 hr flight w/o a car seat.
I believe this is the case on all airlines. for the simple reason
its a sensible rule.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 01, 2024, 07:15:10 AM »
Question:
Airline to be flown: LX
Adults to book: UA award
Infants to book: AC award

Possible?

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 01, 2024, 12:21:47 PM »
I believe this is the case on all airlines. for the simple reason
A simple question would be why does the airline let one assign a middle or aisle seat to an infant? Try to make a booking and assign an aisle seat to a one month old infant. The system will allow it. However, the system will not allow an exit row. Are they expecting that a parent will pay for a seat and strap a one month old into the seatbelt? Obvious answer is that the parent will be putting a car seat for the infant and the booking is allowed. Hence my complaint.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 01, 2024, 12:51:59 PM »
Question:
Airline to be flown: LX
Adults to book: UA award
Infants to book: AC award

Possible?
You’d need 1 adult with the infant on AC

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 01, 2024, 12:57:00 PM »
You’d need 1 adult with the infant on AC
But if I want the adult not to be booked with AC?

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 01, 2024, 01:00:36 PM »
But if I want the adult not to be booked with AC?
If you want a huge headache for a 5% success chance, you can try booking with an adult and then cancel the adult and try to link it to the United booking.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 01, 2024, 01:26:07 PM »
If you want a huge headache for a 5% success chance, you can try booking with an adult and then cancel the adult and try to link it to the United booking.
I considered that, but as much as I want to help a friend, there is a limit.

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 01, 2024, 03:14:38 PM »
A simple question would be why does the airline let one assign a middle or aisle seat to an infant? Try to make a booking and assign an aisle seat to a one month old infant. The system will allow it. However, the system will not allow an exit row. Are they expecting that a parent will pay for a seat and strap a one month old into the seatbelt? Obvious answer is that the parent will be putting a car seat for the infant and the booking is allowed. Hence my complaint.

Unfortunately, obvious to you... but no basis in reality. As I said above
buying a seat for an infant ≠ necessarily the intention to place any sort of seat there.
Its a place to put the infant down, I've done it multiple times w/o a carseat.
The exit row is not allowed bec the occupants of the row must be able to help in event of evacuation. You can't be under 16/18, or infirm or pregnant or have a lap infant either. I've seen them move people out of the exit row bec the FA evaluated them as not physicaly fit enough.
Why not try your luck claiming compensation anyway? It's worth the shot. Worse case scenario they say no.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 03:20:14 PM by yfr bachur »

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 01, 2024, 05:39:50 PM »
Trying to figure out what to do with baby. he will be 2 and a month (25 months) when we fly to israel, and i think he would sleep better with me in a lie-flat bed, but practically paying the points for a 3rd business seat seems like a waste.
You + baby = 2 seats, where's the third?

does ELAL or Delta check the passport date of the child to confirm they are under 24 months to be able to be a lap infant? (i know about the safety considerations and have only had him as a lap infant once with several times in a seat, but its hard to get him to actually sleep in his carseat).
Ask here? forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12784.0

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1139 on: April 01, 2024, 06:18:44 PM »
You + baby = 2 seats, where's the third?
the rebetzin of course