Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 220994 times)

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #960 on: January 17, 2021, 04:10:54 PM »
Depends on baby, price..... and flight load.

If you’re flying a 757-200, book flights separately and you get and empty seat next to you. Double check if you can use car seats in that specific kind of D1.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #961 on: January 17, 2021, 04:50:04 PM »
If you’re flying a 757-200, book flights separately and you get and empty seat next to you. Double check if you can use car seats in that specific kind of D1.
its actually a 767. if i book delta one i wont do car seat and we will have to sleep with the baby in our seat/lap, vs booking coach with an extra seat for a carseat.

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 17, 2021, 10:23:02 PM »
flying on american airlines 737 from phx to jfk, in business class, booked a seat for the infant, will i have any issues bringing a car seat ?

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 19, 2021, 09:48:35 PM »
Planning on flying from MIA to TLV on BA in March. I’ll be traveling IY”H with my wife, a 5 year old, a 23 month old, and newborn twins.
I was wondering if there’s any way to book 3 lap infants with 2 adults (and a child)? I know it’s highly recommended to book seats for all infants, but due to covid, I’m almost positive I’ll have enough seats for everyone anyway. Just asking if it’s technically possible to book them as lap infants?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 19, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »
I’ll be traveling IY”H with my wife, a 5 year old, a 23 month old, and newborn twins.
baby is in the future (unknown) but will be approx six months old
MT

Offline SSLPhD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 20, 2021, 12:43:54 AM »
Planning on flying from MIA to TLV on BA in March. I’ll be traveling IY”H with my wife, a 5 year old, a 23 month old, and newborn twins.
I was wondering if there’s any way to book 3 lap infants with 2 adults (and a child)? I know it’s highly recommended to book seats for all infants, but due to covid, I’m almost positive I’ll have enough seats for everyone anyway. Just asking if it’s technically possible to book them as lap infants?
GIYF.  Only allowed one lap child per adult.  The 23 month old can't be booked online it seems, and will need their own seat.  The twins are too young to sit in their own seats and will need to be held during taxi, takeoff, and turbulence.  I think you're underestimating how difficult this will be.
44/50, 46/63

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 20, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »
GIYF.  Only allowed one lap child per adult.  The 23 month old can't be booked online it seems, and will need their own seat.  The twins are too young to sit in their own seats and will need to be held during taxi, takeoff, and turbulence.  I think you're underestimating how difficult this will be.
Thanks for that.
Can’t the twins sit in a car seat during takeoff and landing? I’ve usually been able to bring them on if there are available seats, even if I didn’t pay for them.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 20, 2021, 08:46:56 PM »
Thanks for that.
Can’t the twins sit in a car seat during takeoff and landing? I’ve usually been able to bring them on if there are available seats, even if I didn’t pay for them.
I don't think BA allows that.

See the linked article below by a flight attendant about flying with children, pay attention to mention of a "belly belt" which I believe is still required on BA.  The latest info I can find is from 2013, so it may have changed, but BA's website makes me wonder.  (Some people like the belly belt; I have no experience with them.)  Even if you do pay for seats, it sounds like you will have to take them out during TTL&T.  I'm sure there are people here that have experience flying with infants on BA, maybe they can chime in.

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/
44/50, 46/63

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 27, 2021, 09:01:17 PM »
I don't think BA allows that.

See the linked article below by a flight attendant about flying with children, pay attention to mention of a "belly belt" which I believe is still required on BA.  The latest info I can find is from 2013, so it may have changed, but BA's website makes me wonder.  (Some people like the belly belt; I have no experience with them.)  Even if you do pay for seats, it sounds like you will have to take them out during TTL&T.  I'm sure there are people here that have experience flying with infants on BA, maybe they can chime in.

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/
I’ve flown BA with an infant and had no issues with him sitting in the Doona.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 16, 2021, 11:38:20 AM »
What's the best way to travel with an almost 4 year old? Do you still do car seat? Or is booster enough? I remember hearing you that there are special straps that you could use for the airplane that make it almost like a three-point harness

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 16, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »
Flying United (Express) with an 18m old and a 4 week old. Taking a stroller, a Doona and a car seat. Paid for a seat for 1 of the infants.
I was planning on taking the Donna on board for the 2 kids to take turns. I'm undecided if I should check in the stroller and take my 18 m old in a car seat strapped onto a wheelie carry on, then gate check, or if I should check in the car seat and gate check the stroller.

Any tips?

Do you think they'll let me take a car seat and a Doona on board of there's space?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:55:36 PM by MeirS »

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 16, 2021, 01:06:40 PM »
What's the best way to travel with an almost 4 year old? Do you still do car seat? Or is booster enough? I remember hearing you that there are special straps that you could use for the airplane that make it almost like a three-five-point harness
This is the strap thing if you decide to go that way. I've used it multiple times for almost 4 year old when we didn't need to bring along extra car seats.

Child Airplane Travel Harness - Cares Safety Restraint System - The Only FAA Approved Child Flying Safety Device $75.99 $67.89

Generated with DDF Link Generator (Web)

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 17, 2021, 07:33:53 AM »
This is the strap thing if you decide to go that way. I've used it multiple times for almost 4 year old when we didn't need to bring along extra car seats.

Child Airplane Travel Harness - Cares Safety Restraint System - The Only FAA Approved Child Flying Safety Device $75.99 $67.89

Generated with DDF Link Generator (Web)
It's actually a FOUR-point harness, and I've used it a few times before realizing that without the 5th-point between the legs, it can present a strangulation hazard, if the kid slides downward.  Here's a review that mentions it, and should be read so you know what you're dealing with.

https://www.amazon.com/CARES-Child-Airplane-Travel-Harness/product-reviews/B0012E4FV8
44/50, 46/63

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 17, 2021, 09:49:08 AM »
is it really necessary vs the regular lap belt? both should keep the kid in their seat during turbulence

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 17, 2021, 10:56:14 AM »
is it really necessary vs the regular lap belt? both should keep the kid in their seat during turbulence
Best is to use car seat if kid hasn't outgrown it, especially if you're bringing it along for use at your destination.
44/50, 46/63

Offline nacho2100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: March 24, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »
Flying Southwest on Friday with a 6month old in a Clek Liing. Curious to know if anyone has any rec's re seat choice (bulkhead vs other) both regarding comfort and minimizing covid exposure. I also wanted to confirm that we can't use the carseat in row 12 behind the exit (737-700

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 13, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
Any advice on how to book a ticket for an unborn infant on southwest? Don't know the gender and DOB yet.. what do I put on the ticket information so I can take the doona on board and have a seat for the infant?

Thanks!

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 13, 2021, 10:56:23 AM »
For domestic flights, you can add the infant at the check-in counter.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #978 on: October 13, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »
For domestic flights, you can add the infant at the check-in counter.
or call after birth
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 13, 2021, 11:03:04 AM »
I want to actually buy the ticket now.. not just a lap sit.. and its domestic..

is there a generic way of buying a ticket for the infant? they don't allow for name changes...

THANKS!!!