Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 222160 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #580 on: August 06, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »
lap infant
i heard that car seats can only be at window seats.. is that true? has anyone ever been able to have 2 car seats next to each other i.e window and middle with adult seating in aisle?

My understanding is that is a fake rule

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 06, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
+1
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf
19. TRAVELING WITH MORE THAN ONE CHILD. In the event a parent/guardian is traveling with more than one child in CRSs or is traveling with several small children, only one of whom is occupying a CRS, good judgment should be used regarding placement of the CRSs. As long as these conditions below are met, the CRS could be placed in a seat other than a window seat. At a minimum:
• The CRS should be placed so it does not block any passenger’s (including the parent/guardian’s) egress to the aisle used to evacuate the aircraft
• The CRS should be placed so the parent/guardian can reach the child in the CRS to release and evacuate with the child, should an emergency evacuation be necessary

Offline yuguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 28, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »
Gd willing my wife and i will be travelling with our first kid in the coming months. It'll be about 6 months old at the time. We'd like to go away in March, before the clocks change. Is a 9:10pm, flight too risky (shabbas ends 6:38pm)? Flying out of JFK. From our home, on a saturday night leaving at 7, Google maps says it can take 35 minutes to an hour (this is estimated). Too risky with an infant?

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
Gd willing my wife and i will be travelling with our first kid in the coming months. It'll be about 6 months old at the time. We'd like to go away in March, before the clocks change. Is a 9:10pm, flight too risky (shabbas ends 6:38pm)? Flying out of JFK. From our home, on a saturday night leaving at 7, Google maps says it can take 35 minutes to an hour (this is estimated). Too risky with an infant?
Why would the infant make a difference?

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 28, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
Do you have TSA Pre? If not, do you plan on having it by then?
Are you flying Domestic or International?
Are you checking luggage?

These are the things you need to keep in mind when figuring out timings..

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 28, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »
Any experience with getting bassinet for baby who is over 9 months?  Like 15 months?
Change DOB....

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 28, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »
Can I bring my Doona car-seat on-board for lap-child? Have Bulkhead/Bassinet seats reserved in BA Business.
YMMV

Offline yitzy93

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 28, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 28, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »
Why would the infant make a difference?

I feel like we'd be faster on our own - less to take (I guess)?

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 28, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »

GL with that. Like cops and DMV workers, FAs are under no obligation to limit themselves to enforcing real rules
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 28, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
lap infant
i heard that car seats can only be at window seats.. is that true? has anyone ever been able to have 2 car seats next to each other i.e window and middle with adult seating in aisle?
Never done 2 car seats, but more than once, have sat a car seat not at a window.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline abk3100

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 30, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
Booked United mileage tickets to Israel on Turkish Business when wife pregnant. Baby just born and I'm trying to add onto reservation. United saying they can't do it on their end; Turkish saying I have to book at the airport for 10% of full adult fare- which is currently $6k in our cabin class and going up...any recommendations on how to get this done for a reasonable cost? United said it wouldn't be a problem to add the infant once born an to "call back and we'll take care of it"..yea...

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 30, 2017, 10:46:44 PM »
Booked United mileage tickets to Israel on Turkish Business when wife pregnant. Baby just born and I'm trying to add onto reservation. United saying they can't do it on their end; Turkish saying I have to book at the airport for 10% of full adult fare- which is currently $6k in our cabin class and going up...any recommendations on how to get this done for a reasonable cost? United said it wouldn't be a problem to add the infant once born an to "call back and we'll take care of it"..yea...
That sounds like the normal policy. You could also just use mile to get her a seat if there's space on the same flight.

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 31, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
Mazal Tov!

United saying it's not a problem is correct. It's not a problem to add (as in, it can certainly be done), you just need to pay.

Next time when flying with infant internationally, book with an airline that has a generous infant policy.

Aeroplan charges 100 CAD.
British Airways charges 10% of miles.

Don't know the rest of the good ones offhand. But other then these few exceptions, the general rule is 10% of adult published fare.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:15:54 AM by lubaby »

Offline dannyh2001

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 05, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
Anyone have experience flying with infant in united business EWR to TLV? My wife and I will be looking to bring a 2 month old, but not sure how it would be possible without buying another seat and putting a car seat. Has anyone used a bassinet in business?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 09, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
Anyone have recommendations for an infant carseat and wheels that light and good for use on the plane? I have a graco modes system for primary use but it's a little heavy, so looking for something lighter.

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 09, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »
Anyone have recommendations for an infant carseat and wheels that light and good for use on the plane? I have a graco modes system for primary use but it's a little heavy, so looking for something lighter.
Doona

Offline a mirrer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 10, 2017, 05:36:30 AM »
Anyone have experience flying with infant in united business EWR to TLV? My wife and I will be looking to bring a 2 month old, but not sure how it would be possible without buying another seat and putting a car seat. Has anyone used a bassinet in business?
the bulkhead seats in business class on the UA84/85 are built in bassinet seats not sure about the 77W

Offline yitzy93

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 10, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
Doona
May be good for the plane but wouldn't call it "light".

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 10, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »
May be good for the plane but wouldn't call it "light".
Great for all parts of travel with an infant, not just plane.

Maybe not light per se (6 pounds heavier then Chicco Keyfit 30), but you almost never need to actually carry it (since it has the wheels) other then a bit of lifting in / out of things.