Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 226830 times)

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #600 on: September 11, 2017, 11:41:16 PM »
Great for all parts of travel with an infant, not just plane.

Maybe not light per se (6 pounds heavier then Chicco Keyfit 30), but you almost never need to actually carry it (since it has the wheels) other then a bit of lifting in / out of things.
+1 literally a lifesaver.

I just wish they'd be something like it for older kids like up to 2 yr olds

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 02, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
I have a Graco carseat that I' planning to bring on a flight (SW and DL). Infant has her own seat.

Do I need to bring anything to show it's approved for air travel? Also, can I use the base for the plane, or do I need to use seat only?

If I can't bring base on plane, is there a safe way to check it? I assume gate check, but do I need to put it in anything?

Offline VLK

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 07, 2017, 11:03:17 PM »
Anyone have experience flying with infant in united business EWR to TLV? My wife and I will be looking to bring a 2 month old, but not sure how it would be possible without buying another seat and putting a car seat. Has anyone used a bassinet in business?

Same Q. I am booked on united flight 90

Also, if i pay the 10% fare os a J ticket for the infant, what will the baggage allowance for the infant be?

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 08, 2017, 08:00:35 AM »
I have a Graco carseat that I' planning to bring on a flight (SW and DL). Infant has her own seat.

Do I need to bring anything to show it's approved for air travel? Also, can I use the base for the plane, or do I need to use seat only?
Needs to be printed on the seat itself.  Usually on bottom, possibly in red.  Seat only, no base.

If I can't bring base on plane, is there a safe way to check it? I assume gate check, but do I need to put it in anything?
Best is to leave base behind.  If not possible, second best is to take as carry on, if within all limits.  If that's not possible, yes, gate check.  Does not need to be in anything, especially if no additional parts that might get lost.  If your goal is to protect it from getting damaged, best packaging is what it came in (if that piece was bought separately).  Which brings me to another option: check it.  Gate checking is primarily for things you will need in the airport until you get to the gate.  A car seat base is not one of those things.  Airline will likely check it for free, if it is in its own bag or unbagged.  This is also the way that it is most likely to be lost/damaged.  Which brings me back to the first option:  just leave it at home.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 08, 2017, 08:06:41 AM »
Needs to be printed on the seat itself.  Usually on bottom, possibly in red.  Seat only, no base.
Best is to leave base behind.  If not possible, second best is to take as carry on, if within all limits.  If that's not possible, yes, gate check.  Does not need to be in anything, especially if no additional parts that might get lost.  If your goal is to protect it from getting damaged, best packaging is what it came in (if that piece was bought separately).  Which brings me to another option: check it.  Gate checking is primarily for things you will need in the airport until you get to the gate.  A car seat base is not one of those things.  Airline will likely check it for free, if it is in its own bag or unbagged.  This is also the way that it is most likely to be lost/damaged.  Which brings me back to the first option:  just leave it at home.
I've checked in the base for free at the baggage check-in multiple times.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 08, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
If you're really trying to protect it I'd keep it attached to car seat till gate and then check it, unless you need it off to attach car seat to carraige.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 18, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »
I took this to Israel. http://lillygold.com/product/baby-products/5-in-1-sit-n-stroll-elite/  It is a car seat / stroller, which has wheels and a handle that fold into the system, same concept as Doona, but with a regular forward facing car seat.

It was given to me used, and was 11 years old, but still worked.

My review is:
1. Converting it is really easy, although you need to be strong enough to pick up the whole thing with child inside, in an airplane aisle.
2. I used this with my 3 year old, and was great.
3. Fits down most airplane aisles, although, at some points can be really tight and need to "force it" (like a bulkhead row with slightly thicker seats, or the end of an Airbus 330-300 where it narrows in back).
4. Israeli boarding ppl gave me hard time, because.  I ignore them and just board.
5. In stroller mode, steers easily with 1 hand.  I pushed one kid in this, and pulled other in a car seat on a luggage cart.
6. I'd really like a newer one, but $532 is a lot of money.  FA on leg 4 was all up in grill looking for the "number" that would show I could use it onboard (?), but kindly didn't notice that it was 5 years expired.

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 19, 2017, 07:46:41 AM »
Was looking for something like this a couple years ago. I only found one discontinued model for 2-4 year olds. This is really great for trips where you don't rent a car, and need something to carry around the car seat after taxi rides.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 02, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
Anyone ever get SW to allow carseat even without booking extra seat if there was a vacant seat on plane?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 02, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
Anyone ever get SW to allow carseat even without booking extra seat if there was a vacant seat on plane?
There's no assigned seating. How would they know? If you see the flight is full, ask them to gate check.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
There's no assigned seating. How would they know? If you see the flight is full, ask them to gate check.

they would see me bringing it onto the plane with only 2 boarding passes. unless you mean to "gate check" it ;)

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #611 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »

Not in a while - but I did do it a few times. If the flight is full, they will let you know you need to gate check, otherwise they won't say anything, IME

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 02, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
Not in a while - but I did do it a few times. If the flight is full, they will let you know you need to gate check, otherwise they won't say anything, IME

thanks...thanksgiving weekend so we'll see

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 02, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »
thanks...thanksgiving weekend so we'll see gate check

FTFY

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 02, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Delta can't confirm bassinet until we get to the airport. Any tips on getting confirmed before?

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 02, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »
open  seating has nothing to do with knowing if the flight is overbooked. Since families board after A, your guaranteed to have at least 2 seats and usually 3. They always tell me if there are extra seats so we can bring a car seat.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 02, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »
Yes a month ago, no issues

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 07, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
any way to see if theres an infant added on a reservation with delta? never got the confirmation email.

Offline VLK

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 08, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
Anyone have any experience with traveling with a baby in car seat on air china J class in the 777 or 787?

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 08, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »
any way to see if theres an infant added on a reservation with delta? never got the confirmation email.
Should show up when looking at your itinerary on the site.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.