Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 222103 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #680 on: April 11, 2018, 02:09:17 AM »
Anyone with experience flying United Polaris 77W with a carseat?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 22, 2018, 02:19:23 AM »
Does anyone have experience getting a ticket where the first leg the child flies as lap (under 2) and on the way back in Seat (over 2)?

International. Hence 2 way is cheaper than 2 one ways...

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 22, 2018, 02:34:47 AM »
Does anyone have experience getting a ticket where the first leg the child flies as lap (under 2) and on the way back in Seat (over 2)?

International. Hence 2 way is cheaper than 2 one ways...
Which airline? BA doesn't charge you if infant is over 2 on the return trip.

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 22, 2018, 02:36:30 AM »
Emirates. Wow I didn't know that. Good to know for future reference. (On this route Bkk-lax taking back hits me with a ton of fees.)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 22, 2018, 02:41:59 AM »
Was posted on DDMS, iirc.

Offline beirush228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 22, 2018, 02:44:14 AM »
Regarding Emirates or BA? Link?
Any info regarding Emirates specifically?

Online VLK

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 22, 2018, 02:57:31 AM »
Anyone with experience flying United Polaris 77W with a carseat?
I have never actually done it but I’ve heard that they give problems due to the airbag that is in the seatbelt and there is no way to deactivate. They have the same problem in Elal new business class on the 787. Asked a ElAl FA what the policy is and nobody can give me a clear answer other then that it would be an issue but they weren’t sure if they can deactivate it or change the seatbelt

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 25, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »
when booking an elal flight with a lap infant thru Chase UR portal can I book and add the infant later or do I have to do it right away (which would entail a phone call that I dont want to make right now.)

Did you ever get an answer? I have the same question.

When booking there is only one option for children under 2 which I am assuming is for a full seat. How do you add an lap infant during booking?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #688 on: April 25, 2018, 12:14:52 AM »
I have never actually done it but I’ve heard that they give problems due to the airbag that is in the seatbelt and there is no way to deactivate. They have the same problem in Elal new business class on the 787. Asked a ElAl FA what the policy is and nobody can give me a clear answer other then that it would be an issue but they weren’t sure if they can deactivate it or change the seatbelt
UA 77W has no airbag.
If there is an airbag, you can deactivate it with a seatbelt extension, but that won't work with rear-facing seats.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline confu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 20, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
Sorry for the delay. Not sure when your flight is. But since we discovered the issue the issue a few weeks before the flight, it definitely helped. I called just about every department in Alitalia and got nowhere. We were dealing with a few thousand dollars at risk because they didn't offer a free change or refund either. Gave some money to tzedakah and filed a detailed complaint with the DOT. The DOT responded that this does not violate any of their rules but they have forwarded the complaint to the airline and they will respond directly to me. B"H a few weeks later, the airline got back to us that they have agreed to confirm the infant on the flight as they have not found any other alternative.
If you still have some time ahead of your flight, I would suggest that you try the DOT too. (don't forget the donation to tzedakah...)
any idea what will happen if I just show up at the airport? I Just discovered I have the same problem-chase called to let me know-, But my infant does show up on my alitalia booking page. I'm going to try DOT, but If it doesn't work, what will happen at the airport?

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 20, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
any idea what will happen if I just show up at the airport? I Just discovered I have the same problem-chase called to let me know-, But my infant does show up on my alitalia booking page. I'm going to try DOT, but If it doesn't work, what will happen at the airport?
There have been reports of them just turning you away. So do everything possible and make them crazy enough to "make an exception" for you or to have them change your flights for free.

Offline confu

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 20, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
how does that work- I have a ticket so I can board. It's my kid who has an issue
 Do airlines still separate kids from their parents? :)

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 20, 2018, 05:07:04 PM »
how does that work- I have a ticket so I can board. It's my kid who has an issue
 Do airlines still separate kids from their parents? :)
Lol maybe in the current political climate you're good.. :P

Offline confu

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 21, 2018, 02:48:09 AM »
i'm just not sure they will talk to me bec i booked through chase they tell you to go through agency.
chase claims they are working on getting a refund for me...

Offline elihak7

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 21, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »
anyway to get a bassinet guaranteed? tlv-nyc.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 21, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »
Which airline?

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 21, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
Airline?

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 21, 2018, 05:37:47 PM »
BYOB

Offline elihak7

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 21, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
elal

Offline confu

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 24, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
Sorry for the delay. Not sure when your flight is. But since we discovered the issue the issue a few weeks before the flight, it definitely helped. I called just about every department in Alitalia and got nowhere. We were dealing with a few thousand dollars at risk because they didn't offer a free change or refund either. Gave some money to tzedakah and filed a detailed complaint with the DOT. The DOT responded that this does not violate any of their rules but they have forwarded the complaint to the airline and they will respond directly to me. B"H a few weeks later, the airline got back to us that they have agreed to confirm the infant on the flight as they have not found any other alternative.
If you still have some time ahead of your flight, I would suggest that you try the DOT too. (don't forget the donation to tzedakah...)
update:
According to chase They took care of it. Alitalia claims they had accidentally double booked another lap infant. they removed the duplicate, freeing up the last infant space for me. Wonder what the odds that that's true...