Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 222023 times)

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #920 on: January 30, 2020, 03:54:23 PM »
I just booked JFK-BOG with delta, was inquiring with the diamond desk about prices for infant (lap) if the adult ticket is bought with miles or paid, I was pleasantly surprised (or not) that if the adult was a paid ticket infant ticket would be a total of $134 but if adult is booked on miles it was 0 miles and $74.97.

Another experience I’ve had (though might not be too relevant for many here) is that when I came back from my last Eretz Yisroel trip with delta TLV-JFK I used a global upgrade certificate for myself and a few weeks later (a few days before the flight) I get a call from delta asking me to pay a few hundred $$$ on top of what we already paid since now it was a business class ticket and baby needs to pay 10% of the fare plus business class taxes!! Any argument that I used an upgrade certificate and didn’t actually spend a cent on this didn’t help. So I just moved my baby to my wife’s ticket who was in economy (we did it like this so baby can be in his car seat and we switched off mid-flight)

Offline confu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 02, 2020, 01:44:22 PM »
I know this will get flak from team safety, but can you book an infant a seat and not bring a car seat on board (just hold by take off and landing/turbulence)?

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 02, 2020, 04:55:00 PM »
I know this will get flak from team safety, but can you book an infant a seat and not bring a car seat on board (just hold by take off and landing/turbulence)?

Don't see why not but if seat belt sign is on, they might make you hold the baby. Some times sign can be on for big percentage of flight.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #923 on: February 06, 2020, 11:59:39 AM »
Need some advice...

Dw wife is going to Miami with my Under 2yo Twins and her sister and her 2 kids over 2yo, what would be the best way to book them award flights, im thinking either book 1 infant on wifes lap and 1 on her own seat ( i dont know if there is a way to do that aside from changing DOB)  or i can have 1 on wifes lap and 1 on SIL lap and just book 2 seats for my 2 nieces that are over 2.
Is there anyway to do this on separate reservations?
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #924 on: February 20, 2020, 11:49:08 PM »
I am planning a trip for August to Europe and am taking along my baby who will then be 21 months old. My question is should I rather book 2 business class seats and have her share with me or DW, or should I book economy tickets and buy an extra seat for her? Its a long haul flight and we have never yet taken her on anything farther than Florida.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 20, 2020, 11:55:57 PM »
I am planning a trip for August to Europe and am taking along my baby who will then be 21 months old. My question is should I rather book 2 business class seats and have her share with me or DW, or should I book economy tickets and buy an extra seat for her? Its a long haul flight and we have never yet taken her on anything farther than Florida.
Rough age. they already are aware that they can walk around, but not old enough to understand why it's not allowed. I personally would go for economy and have a full 3 seats for my crew. While some might argue, seat for my kid> sitting in J, especially at that age.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Joel

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #926 on: February 21, 2020, 12:39:38 AM »
Rough age. they already are aware that they can walk around, but not old enough to understand why it's not allowed. I personally would go for economy and have a full 3 seats for my crew. While some might argue, seat for my kid> sitting in J, especially at that age.
Thx for the advice. Will keep that in mind. The truth is that it is a red eye flight, so the real question is where she will sleep better.

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #927 on: February 21, 2020, 12:54:55 AM »

When we flew TLV-JFK we booked one seat in economy and one business and we switched off a couple of times. baby got his seat and we were able to get some sleep as well. on a 12+ hour flight it was the best option for us.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #928 on: February 21, 2020, 12:58:07 AM »
Thx for the advice. Will keep that in mind. The truth is that it is a red eye flight, so the real question is where she will sleep better.
Own seat, no question.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 21, 2020, 12:58:15 AM »
When we flew TLV-JFK we booked one seat in economy and one business and we switched off a couple of times. baby got his seat and we were able to get some sleep as well. on a 12+ hour flight it was the best option for us.
Was actually thinking about this option. But it felt a little weird to me to fly separately. It is probably the best option though as we are flying to FCO 

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: February 21, 2020, 11:10:06 AM »
Own seat, no question.
+1. Whether you want to split up is up to you, I probably wouldn't personally, but to each their own. Just make sure you bring along a good car seat your kid can shloof in.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 21, 2020, 11:19:06 AM »
Do you need to add a lap child during the main booking or can it be added later?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 21, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
Do you need to add a lap child during the main booking or can it be added later?
Not sure if it's same for every airline, but IME you can add whenever. Keep in mind though, when you're paying a percentage of the fare, it goes based on market price, not the price you paid.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 21, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »
Not sure if it's same for every airline, but IME you can add whenever. Keep in mind though, when you're paying a percentage of the fare, it goes based on market price, not the price you paid.

Thanks, it's for delta and domestic so it should be $0
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #934 on: February 21, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
Thanks, it's for delta and domestic so it should be $0
Any time.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 13, 2020, 11:15:10 AM »
I booked a RT on United with an infant turning two mid trip. I entered for a 2-4 year old in the search box and his birthday. Upon booking it put him into the under two with a seat category and charged half the adult price. Is this a problem?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 24, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
I booked a RT on United with an infant turning two mid trip. I entered for a 2-4 year old in the search box and his birthday. Upon booking it put him into the under two with a seat category and charged half the adult price. Is this a problem?
Any DP?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 24, 2020, 11:33:44 PM »
Any DP?
Did not end up using the ticket...so I can't tell you.

Offline Ekay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 13, 2020, 12:20:05 AM »
Does UA allow Car seat in J on there 787-10 and 757-200?

Offline jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 31, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked before ( if its has please direct).
2 year old turning two in the middle of the round trip. Which airlines offer infant fares ( besides for BA)?