Author Topic: US Airways charges for same day standby  (Read 1185 times)

Offline thecandybox

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
US Airways charges for same day standby
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:30:02 AM »
I have never heard of an airline charging for same day standby; $75. I have a flight this afternoon at 4pm on us airways but my claendar freed up and I would be able to leave at 1230 or the 2pm flight..there are many seats available so no issue with that..When callling US Air about this they informed me that a gate agent has no authority to put me on earlier flight and  i would have to get a new ticket and pay $75..is this not the worst policy? If they have open seats whats the difference if I take a 2 hr earlier flight? I have never flown US AIR (usually fly united or jetblue) and I will surely think twice about taking them again..Any ideas how to get on earlier flight without paying the fee? makes no sense to me

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: US Airways charges for same day standby
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:33:41 AM »

I have never heard of an airline charging for same day standby; $75. I have a flight this afternoon at 4pm on us airways but my claendar freed up and I would be able to leave at 1230 or the 2pm flight..there are many seats available so no issue with that..When callling US Air about this they informed me that a gate agent has no authority to put me on earlier flight and  i would have to get a new ticket and pay $75..is this not the worst policy? If they have open seats whats the difference if I take a 2 hr earlier flight? I have never flown US AIR (usually fly united or jetblue) and I will surely think twice about taking them again..Any ideas how to get on earlier flight without paying the fee? makes no sense to me

When you say new ticket do you mean canceling the old one and rebooking and that's the$75 charge or just ticketing you?

I don't know if it's a real fee or not but I would HUCA at least 2-3 times, try different numbers as well.

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »
Unfortunately I have experienced this in the past. I now have status so it's waived. They will do standby without a free only if the flight you're standing by for is fully booked. I don't understand why they do not implement a "regular" standby where they let you you in at no extra charge if there are seats left by gate closing. (The $75 guarantees you a seat)

Offline thecandybox

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »
I Tried HUCA 4 times wont do anything.. If the Flight is SOLD OUT and a passenger doesnt show, they can you put you on for free, if the flight has empty seats, they categorize it as a "Move up" and they charge you $75 fee..makes absolutely no sense!  Most airlines you can go standby same day free of charge, if there is an empty seat who cares...crazy policy!