Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Google cell phone: Project Fi  (Read 57559 times)

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Google cell phone: Project Fi
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »
I have a google voice number associated with my email that I did not want to give up so I ported in a different number but now my gv is not working.
Is there a rule that you can't have gv and fi?

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2018, 12:57:20 AM »
Yes, you automatically lose it. They warned you when you signed up.

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »
I have a google voice number associated with my email that I did not want to give up so I ported in a different number but now my gv is not working.
Is there a rule that you can't have gv and fi?
That's correct, you can't have Google voice work together with fi on the same number.

I just hope you didn't lose your old number yet, Google usually gives you a time period up untill when you need to transfer out your old number (or new) number elsewhere.

Check your settings in fi to see if your number is still showing there.

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »
Apearently you can get a $100 service credit for signing up for Google fi.

https://fi.google.com/filovesellen

Need to subscribe by 1/15/19

New subscriber's only.

The also gave away free pixel 3's and a free year of service to all attendees of the Ellen DeGeneres show, so maybe we "DansDeals" participents also stand a chance?

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2018, 11:35:34 PM »
If I have a Verizon iPhone X, 60% paid, can I switch to Fi? Is the service good in Lakewood?

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2019, 04:51:26 AM »
I want to open a Google Fi account to use when I travel. I would pause the account right after activation and activate for a few minutes every 3 months. Do I need a separate phone to start service or can I just pop out the Verizon Prepaid SIM on my iPhone 6s (unlocked), pop in and activate Fi, pause Fi, switch back SIMs and continue using my regular Verizon service?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2019, 07:12:44 AM »
I want to open a Google Fi account to use when I travel. I would pause the account right after activation and activate for a few minutes every 3 months. Do I need a separate phone to start service or can I just pop out the Verizon Prepaid SIM on my iPhone 6s (unlocked), pop in and activate Fi, pause Fi, switch back SIMs and continue using my regular Verizon service?
Yup. that should work. I use Fi as my primary provider, when i travel to countries where I know I'll be spending time, i pop out my fi & replace with a local sim.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2019, 09:47:10 AM »
Yup. that should work. I use Fi as my primary provider, when i travel to countries where I know I'll be spending time, i pop out my fi & replace with a local sim.
My question/concern is that it doesn’t mess up my regular Verizon service...
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:31 AM »
That's correct, you can't have Google voice work together with fi on the same number.

I just hope you didn't lose your old number yet, Google usually gives you a time period up untill when you need to transfer out your old number (or new) number elsewhere.

Check your settings in fi to see if your number is still showing there.
So you can't have it work together? or you can't have a google voice number at all? Can I just have Fi create a brand new number and then keep the Google voice?
Will google allow me to have a second google (store/pay/whatever they call it) account, (so I can avoid this mess)?

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »
So you can't have it work together? or you can't have a google voice number at all? Can I just have Fi create a brand new number and then keep the Google voice?
Will google allow me to have a second google (store/pay/whatever they call it) account, (so I can avoid this mess)?
On each Google account, you can have Fi or Voice, but not both. If you need both, open another Google account.
In Google Voice, if you port in a number and want to keep the first number that was there before you ported, they give the option to pay, otherwise it drops off after a couple of months. I don't know if Fi also lets you have two numbers simultaneously.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
This is my problem with Fi at the moment. i ported in a voice number but now if I pause service, I don't get SMS/Voicemail. So I have to keep the service on even when overseas for extended periods and using local sims - this way I get Fi calls to google hangouts on desktop.

Fi recently added a way to access the voice interface so I can at least see my pre-fi texts etc.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
This is my problem with Fi at the moment. i ported in a voice number but now if I pause service, I don't get SMS/Voicemail. So I have to keep the service on even when overseas for extended periods and using local sims - this way I get Fi calls to google hangouts on desktop.

Fi recently added a way to access the voice interface so I can at least see my pre-fi texts etc.
Why not just create a new Google Voice account? See below quotation from Google.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6246240?hl=en
"If you want to keep using Google Voice
If you want to continue to use Google Voice with your current Google Voice number, you have a couple options:

Sign up for Google Fi with a Google Account that’s not linked to your Google Voice.
Transfer your Google Voice number to a different Google Account (as long as it doesn’t already have a Google Voice number) before you sign up for Google Fi. There’s no cost to transfer between Google Accounts.
If you use one of these options, you can use the Google Voice app on your Google Fi phone with your original Google Voice number.

Note: You won’t be able to forward a Google Voice number to a Google Fi number or forward a Google Fi number to a Google Voice number."

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2019, 09:55:07 AM »
I had Fi with the phone deal, canceled service in May after I earned the 1k gift cards, and moved my number back to google voice. I now want to reactivate it for a bit, but Fi is telling me if I move my number from gv to Fi, I can't transfer the number back to voice if I cancel Fi. Any way around it?

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
Why not just create a new Google Voice account? See below quotation from Google.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6246240?hl=en
"If you want to keep using Google Voice
If you want to continue to use Google Voice with your current Google Voice number, you have a couple options:

Sign up for Google Fi with a Google Account that’s not linked to your Google Voice.
Transfer your Google Voice number to a different Google Account (as long as it doesn’t already have a Google Voice number) before you sign up for Google Fi. There’s no cost to transfer between Google Accounts.
If you use one of these options, you can use the Google Voice app on your Google Fi phone with your original Google Voice number.

Note: You won’t be able to forward a Google Voice number to a Google Fi number or forward a Google Fi number to a Google Voice number."

That's what I did. but my main number is on Fi, so if I want to be accessible overseas I have to keep it active.

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »

I have the same issue, so I canceled Fi, and put my number in GV, so I get calls and texts through hangouts on my cell using my israeli cell data. It works perfectly seamlessly. The problem is now I have to reactivate Fi, and they're telling me if I do, I can't park the number back in gv if I cancel Fi, which I plan to.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »
Can you forward calls from your GV number to Fi?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
Can you forward calls from your GV number to Fi?
Did not work for me.

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »
Is Fi the best option if I'm just looking for a cheap plan and phone for my son? He will mostly be using it in the house where there's wifi

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
Is Fi the best option if I'm just looking for a cheap plan and phone for my son? He will mostly be using it in the house where there's wifi
No
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »