Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Google cell phone: Project Fi  (Read 17050 times)

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
Re: Google cell phone: Project Fi
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
So you can't have it work together? or you can't have a google voice number at all? Can I just have Fi create a brand new number and then keep the Google voice?
Will google allow me to have a second google (store/pay/whatever they call it) account, (so I can avoid this mess)?
This is my problem with Fi at the moment. i ported in a voice number but now if I pause service, I don't get SMS/Voicemail. So I have to keep the service on even when overseas for extended periods and using local sims - this way I get Fi calls to google hangouts on desktop.

Fi recently added a way to access the voice interface so I can at least see my pre-fi texts etc.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
Re: Google cell phone: Project Fi
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
This is my problem with Fi at the moment. i ported in a voice number but now if I pause service, I don't get SMS/Voicemail. So I have to keep the service on even when overseas for extended periods and using local sims - this way I get Fi calls to google hangouts on desktop.

Fi recently added a way to access the voice interface so I can at least see my pre-fi texts etc.
Why not just create a new Google Voice account? See below quotation from Google.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6246240?hl=en
"If you want to keep using Google Voice
If you want to continue to use Google Voice with your current Google Voice number, you have a couple options:

Sign up for Google Fi with a Google Account thatís not linked to your Google Voice.
Transfer your Google Voice number to a different Google Account (as long as it doesnít already have a Google Voice number) before you sign up for Google Fi. Thereís no cost to transfer between Google Accounts.
If you use one of these options, you can use the Google Voice app on your Google Fi phone with your original Google Voice number.

Note: You wonít be able to forward a Google Voice number to a Google Fi number or forward a Google Fi number to a Google Voice number."
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.