Topic Wiki

This Wiki is a work in progress, please contribute if you can.
    This card is closed to new applicants.

Card benefits/fees:

• Earn $650 Credit towards the purchase of any NEW AT&T phone after $2k in purchases. the phone counts towards the limit.
  • Earn 3X ThankYouŽ Points for every $1 you spend on purchases made online at retail and travel websites, and purchases made at AT&T. No cap.
  • 10,000 Bonus Anniversary ThankYou Points after 10k spend.
  • $95 Annual fee not waived. (reports of a prorated refund for closing though).

Getting the Free Phone:

If someone on DDF goes through the process now, please report on what parts of this Wiki are still accurate. Thanks!

Everything Below this line is outdated info!
As of a Jan 2016, At&t has changed the way that you get the phone.

The online system is broken for now, so you need to go to a At&T store, buy a phone outright with the card, and send them a picture of the receipt.
You will still need to sign up for the $45 prepaid plan, but no credit check is required.

They do not even ask to see your SS#

This should be much better if you want to use the phone on another network or sell it (or possibly just return it).

The report I got said that there is no requirement to have 15 days of service, but I wouldn't rely on the rep that said that until I confirm it is true.

If you plan on using the phone, before turning on the phone for the 1st time, request that AT&T unlock the phone at  www.att.com/deviceunlock/ (for Customer Type select 'Non-AT&T Mobility customer'). If you activate the phone before requesting the unlock, your account will have to stay active for 60 days before AT&T will unlock the phone (there are reports of the phones being unlocked after closing the account, regardless of service time)

The old way it used to work, (and how it probably works now as well).

If you are on AT&T Postpaid plan:
  • You'll be able to login to your At&t Account with the link Citi sends you, and purchase any No-contract phone. Pay with this card.
  • Activate it on your plan, and use it on At&t for at least 15 days.
  • Citi will reimburse you 1-2 statements later for for up to $650 of the phone cost, you pay all taxes.

If you are not a AT&T customer:
  • You will need to pay for the 1st month service (min ~$50)
  • You will get a 2nd Hard Pull from AT&T to open a postpaid account.
  • Plenti: Before opening the Att line, make a account with plenti, and link to your AT&T account here. You should get 2,500 plenti points for opening a new Att Line (current deal until 11/26/2015), plus 400 points for using paperless billing, which you can redeem for $29 (I think this is how it works, someone who has dome this please confirm and delete this comment)

AT&T Business customers see here.[/list]
« Last edited by m.m. on September 01, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »

Author Topic: Citi AT&T Access More Mastercard (Free iPhone 6 after $2k spend)  (Read 71487 times)

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Citi AT&T Access More Mastercard (Free iPhone 6 after $2k spend)
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »
Can someone please add a big red "WAIT UNTIL JAN 8" line in the wiki?

After At&t stops requiring 2yr contacts this whole process should become much less painful.

HT  ddms

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »
As of a few days ago, At&t has changed the way that you get the phone.

The online system is broken for now, so you need to go to a At&T store, buy a phone outright with the card, and send them a picture of the receipt.
You will still need to sign up for the $45 prepaid plan, but no credit check is required.

This should be much better if you want to use the phone on another network or sell it.

The report I got said that there is no requirement to have 15 days of service, but I wouldn't rely on the rep that said that until I confirm it is true.

I'm on mobile, but if someone can update the wiki if appreciate it.

Offline Brian93

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »
As of a few days ago, At&t has changed the way that you get the phone.

This should be much better if you want to use the phone on another network or sell it.

I'm on mobile, but if someone can update the wiki if appreciate it.
Or return the phone
HT: SM

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2016, 05:51:21 PM »
Or return the phone
HT: SM
We'll have to wait and see...

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »
doc has a nice writeup on what earns 3x (online retail).

Tl;Dr: pretty much anything does, paying via PayPal helps your chances.

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
Wonder how much you could re-sell an unopened iPhone 6S for?

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
Any updates on the way to get the phone. I'm a little confused as to whether the "new" way is still true or whether it applies to current ATT customers. My situation is I'm an ATT customer, soon out of contract. I want to get the card and the phone (tho prob an Android). I will likely use it on ATT for a month or less and then switch over to tMobile. Any tips/advice? Thanks in advance

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2016, 02:40:41 AM »
Any updates on the way to get the phone. I'm a little confused as to whether the "new" way is still true or whether it applies to current ATT customers. My situation is I'm an ATT customer, soon out of contract. I want to get the card and the phone (tho prob an Android). I will likely use it on ATT for a month or less and then switch over to tMobile. Any tips/advice? Thanks in advance
The "new" way did not care wether you were a At&t customer or not, as at&t's system was messed up.

Try calling in to the number on the card: 1-85-488-6642

They may be able to tell you what changed.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2016, 02:44:21 AM »
The "new" way did not care wether you were a At&t customer or not, as at&t's system was messed up.

Try calling in to the number on the card: 1-85-488-6642

They may be able to tell you what changed.
I haven't signed up for the card. That's part of the issue. I want to know what the issues are before I sign up

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2016, 03:37:39 AM »
I haven't signed up for the card. That's part of the issue. I want to know what the issues are before I sign up
Do it now, looks like they are discontinuing the card:

https://reddit.com/r/churning/comments/46mxtf/is_citi_att_access_more_card_gone/

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »
Do it now, looks like they are discontinuing the card:

https://reddit.com/r/churning/comments/46mxtf/is_citi_att_access_more_card_gone/

Thanks for pointing this out. It does seem from that reddit thread that it may not be discontinued but I guess it's not worth the chance. I'll prob sign up today.

In any event, what is the actual situation with the phone? Does it need to be unlocked prior to being used? Do you have to purchase in store? I'm getting conflicting things from this thread.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:36:29 AM by shtank »

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out. It does seem from that reddit thread that it may not be discontinued but I guess it's not worth the chance. I'll prob sign up today.

In any event, what is the actual situation with the phone? Does it need to be unlocked prior to being used? Do you have to purchase in store? I'm getting conflicting things from this thread.
IIRC you shouldn't have to unlock before activating, but it's simpler, because once you activate they might make you wait until it's been active for a certain amount of time.
Officially you must buy online, and you must click through with Citi's link, but they've been having issues, so I got a letter saying i can buy in store and submit the receipt.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2016, 07:59:39 AM »
IIRC you shouldn't have to unlock before activating, but it's simpler, because once you activate they might make you wait until it's been active for a certain amount of time.
Officially you must buy online, and you must click through with Citi's link, but they've been having issues, so I got a letter saying i can buy in store and submit the receipt.

Oh ok. Thanks. Was the whole thing relatively painless? Been hearing it's a major hassle from some people.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »
Oh ok. Thanks. Was the whole thing relatively painless? Been hearing it's a major hassle from some people.
The activation takes 5 minutes, all online.
For my card, buying the phone and getting the credit was pretty simple. For my wife's, i had issues that i posted upthread.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »

Oy. I didn't need to deal with that as I never activated the phone in the plan that I bought, I used my existing plan.

In better news, I dropped my phone after buying it, and cracked the screen. Also the phone was giving me other issues (battery life etc.)

I finally got Citi protection to pay for a new phone as the t&c does not state who chooses if I should repair or replace. Eventually they just told me to send them an invoice for a new phone.

I was able to buy the international unlocked version of the phone, didn't need to deal with ATT again.

Are you saying the phones you get from ATT aren't int'l unlocked? Shouldn't unlocking the phone thru the ATT form take care of this?

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
The activation takes 5 minutes, all online.
For my card, buying the phone and getting the credit was pretty simple. For my wife's, i had issues that i posted upthread.

Thank you. Sounds like everything worked out in the end for the other phone. I have ATT right now so I'm assuming won't be as much of a hassle.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2016, 10:56:30 AM »

Are you saying the phones you get from ATT aren't int'l unlocked? Shouldn't unlocking the phone thru the ATT form take care of this?
The phones are capable of being used worldwide, but they are the at&t "version", meaning that they are bloated with at&t's apps, and missing a few features.

Also, At&t must " unlock the phone before you go, or the software will reject other sim cards.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2016, 10:58:46 AM »
The phones are capable of being used worldwide, but they are the at&t "version", meaning that they are bloated with at&t's apps, and missing a few features.

Also, At&t must " unlock the phone before you go, or the software will reject other sim cards.

OK so to clarify, if I unlock the phone using ATT's form on the site, it should work right? Also, if I root the phone I should be able to get rid of bloatware, right?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
OK so to clarify, if I unlock the phone using ATT's form on the site, it should work right? Also, if I root the phone I should be able to get rid of bloatware, right?
Yes, and probably yes.

Unless you need a phone now, I would do the spend, and wait until the LG G5 or Samsung S7 are available, both should be a big step forward, especially in the battery life department.

You have 1 year to buy the phone.

OR, you can buy an iPhone, take a photo of the receipt, immediately return the phone in the same store (no fee) and then spend the $650 on any phone of your choosing, without bloatware. (By the new "rules" it's a manual process, and you do not need to activate the phone)

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »
Yes, and probably yes.

Unless you need a phone now, I would do the spend, and wait until the LG G5 or Samsung S7 are available, both should be a big step forward, especially in the battery life department.

You have 1 year to buy the phone.

OR, you can buy an iPhone, take a photo of the receipt, immediately return the phone in the same store (no fee) and then spend the $650 on any phone of your choosing, without bloatware. (By the new "rules" it's a manual process, and you do not need to activate the phone)

Oh, really. I'm sorry, I know I'm being a bit of a nudge but I was unaware of that last option. BTW, I can't wait till G5 or S7 cuz I want to get out of ATT ASAP. But if you're saying I don't need to activate.... OTOH, who knows how long the manual option will last? Anyway, thank you (and anyone else) for any info and help.