Topic Wiki

This Wiki is a work in progress, please contribute if you can.
    This card is closed to new applicants.

Card benefits/fees:

• Earn $650 Credit towards the purchase of any NEW AT&T phone after $2k in purchases. the phone counts towards the limit.
  • Earn 3X ThankYouŽ Points for every $1 you spend on purchases made online at retail and travel websites, and purchases made at AT&T. No cap.
  • 10,000 Bonus Anniversary ThankYou Points after 10k spend.
  • $95 Annual fee not waived. (reports of a prorated refund for closing though).

Getting the Free Phone:

If someone on DDF goes through the process now, please report on what parts of this Wiki are still accurate. Thanks!

Everything Below this line is outdated info!
As of a Jan 2016, At&t has changed the way that you get the phone.

The online system is broken for now, so you need to go to a At&T store, buy a phone outright with the card, and send them a picture of the receipt.
You will still need to sign up for the $45 prepaid plan, but no credit check is required.

They do not even ask to see your SS#

This should be much better if you want to use the phone on another network or sell it (or possibly just return it).

The report I got said that there is no requirement to have 15 days of service, but I wouldn't rely on the rep that said that until I confirm it is true.

If you plan on using the phone, before turning on the phone for the 1st time, request that AT&T unlock the phone at  www.att.com/deviceunlock/ (for Customer Type select 'Non-AT&T Mobility customer'). If you activate the phone before requesting the unlock, your account will have to stay active for 60 days before AT&T will unlock the phone (there are reports of the phones being unlocked after closing the account, regardless of service time)

The old way it used to work, (and how it probably works now as well).

If you are on AT&T Postpaid plan:
  • You'll be able to login to your At&t Account with the link Citi sends you, and purchase any No-contract phone. Pay with this card.
  • Activate it on your plan, and use it on At&t for at least 15 days.
  • Citi will reimburse you 1-2 statements later for for up to $650 of the phone cost, you pay all taxes.

If you are not a AT&T customer:
  • You will need to pay for the 1st month service (min ~$50)
  • You will get a 2nd Hard Pull from AT&T to open a postpaid account.
  • Plenti: Before opening the Att line, make a account with plenti, and link to your AT&T account here. You should get 2,500 plenti points for opening a new Att Line (current deal until 11/26/2015), plus 400 points for using paperless billing, which you can redeem for $29 (I think this is how it works, someone who has dome this please confirm and delete this comment)

AT&T Business customers see here.[/list]
« Last edited by m.m. on September 01, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »

Author Topic: Citi AT&T Access More Mastercard (Free iPhone 6 after $2k spend)  (Read 71318 times)

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Citi AT&T Access More Mastercard (Free iPhone 6 after $2k spend)
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply. By "ask them" you mean the people in the store, right?
And by "the original wiki" you mean the one where you do the whole online process, right?
Thank you very much again.

1st, try to ask them if you can buy in store and show a receipt. (Maybe your code isn't working etc...)

In that case you can:
1. Get the phone with no extra credit pull.
2. Immediately GSM unlock the phone, via the online system.
3. (Maybe) if you buy in store with receipt, you may not need to keep the phone activated on att for 15 days as I don't think the manual approval process looks at that ... In which case you may even be able to keep it "new in box" (if the IMEI to unlock is printed on the box)

If not, you can follow the original wiki steps (I think)

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply. By "ask them" you mean the people in the store, right?
And by "the original wiki" you mean the one where you do the whole online process, right?
Thank you very much again.
No, them is a phone rep.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2016, 11:17:12 AM »
No, them is a phone rep.

OK thank you. Will try to call Citi today then.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
Yes, and probably yes.

Unless you need a phone now, I would do the spend, and wait until the LG G5 or Samsung S7 are available, both should be a big step forward, especially in the battery life department.

You have 1 year to buy the phone.

OR, you can buy an iPhone, take a photo of the receipt, immediately return the phone in the same store (no fee) and then spend the $650 on any phone of your choosing, without bloatware. (By the new "rules" it's a manual process, and you do not need to activate the phone)

OK. I'm quoting your old post because it's what my questions are based on now that I spoke with Citi. They confirmed that what I need to do is buy in-store and fax receipt. Question now is how will I know if I need to activate the phone? Or, if I buy the phone in-store is it guaranteed that I don't need to activate? Also, you said I can buy it and then immediately return in store. Won't Citi see that on my statement? How will I know they will issue credit? Thank you again for all your help. Very useful and I really appreciate it.

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »

OK. I'm quoting your old post because it's what my questions are based on now that I spoke with Citi. They confirmed that what I need to do is buy in-store and fax receipt. Question now is how will I know if I need to activate the phone? Or, if I buy the phone in-store is it guaranteed that I don't need to activate? Also, you said I can buy it and then immediately return in store. Won't Citi see that on my statement? How will I know they will issue credit? Thank you again for all your help. Very useful and I really appreciate it.

Basically: I only have anecdotal knowledge of whether you need to activate it for 15 days.

I friend did as I described, returning it immediately to the At&t store without opening or activating it, and got the $650 2 statements later.

He was only able to return it immediately, with no time to confirm with Citi if it went thru, as the store would charge a return fee if he waited to the next day.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »

Basically: I only have anecdotal knowledge of whether you need to activate it for 15 days.

I friend did as I described, returning it immediately to the At&t store without opening or activating it, and got the $650 2 statements later.

He was only able to return it immediately, with no time to confirm with Citi if it went thru, as the store would charge a return fee if he waited to the next day.
Ah ok. Thank you for the response.

If anyone else has experience with this procedure, please let me know. Thank you!

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »
Ah ok. Thank you for the response.

If anyone else has experience with this procedure, please let me know. Thank you!
No problem!

Please update us here with what happens

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »
No problem!

Please update us here with what happens

Went into a store today and asked what the deal was about returns. They said no matter when I return it, they will charge a restocking fee ($35) even if it's same day.

I probably should also put this next thing on another board, but since I don't actually have anything yet, I don't think that would be appropriate either. Anyone looking to buy an iPhone 6S (or even another phone at least $650) for full price?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2016, 11:52:30 AM »

Went into a store today and asked what the deal was about returns. They said no matter when I return it, they will charge a restocking fee ($35) even if it's same day.

I probably should also put this next thing on another board, but since I don't actually have anything yet, I don't think that would be appropriate either. Anyone looking to buy an iPhone 6S (or even another phone at least $650) for full price?

1. You can try finding a different store, where the guy is willing to help you.

2. If the return policy goes past 15 days, I would just buy, wait 15 days without opening the box, call Citi to see if the requirements were met, and then return it and swallow the fee.

Even if you sell it, you will lose more than $30, either via fees, marking down the phone or loss of your time.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

1. You can try finding a different store, where the guy is willing to help you.

2. If the return policy goes past 15 days, I would just buy, wait 15 days without opening the box, call Citi to see if the requirements were met, and then return it and swallow the fee.

Even if you sell it, you will lose more than $30, either via fees, marking down the phone or loss of your time.
Thanks. I was going to try a diff store. And the return policy is 14 days. So, I may have to buy it, return it, swallow the restocking fee and hope I get the refund. What I really would like to do is buy the Galaxy s7 (on sale now at newegg for 599 till Apr 9). Worse comes to worse, I have a year to buy a phone if credit doesn't kick in. Will cost me more, but that's the risk. According to ur anecdotal evidence, if I fax receipt, shouldn't need to activate.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
Thanks. I was going to try a diff store. And the return policy is 14 days. So, I may have to buy it, return it, swallow the restocking fee and hope I get the refund. What I really would like to do is buy the Galaxy s7 (on sale now at newegg for 599 till Apr 9). Worse comes to worse, I have a year to buy a phone if credit doesn't kick in. Will cost me more, but that's the risk. According to ur anecdotal evidence, if I fax receipt, shouldn't need to activate.
True. What I would do is make sure I got the spending on the card done, then buy a phone (may as well buy a very expensive one for the 3x points).
Fax receipt.
Wait a few days.
Call in and ask if all the requirements for the bonus were met.
If they say "yes", return the phone and wait to get the $650.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2016, 12:27:45 PM »
True. What I would do is make sure I got the spending on the card done, then buy a phone (may as well buy a very expensive one for the 3x points).
Fax receipt.
Wait a few days.
Call in and ask if all the requirements for the bonus were met.
If they say "yes", return the phone and wait to get the $650.
Spend shouldn't be a problem (owe plenty maaser) Especially if I use card to buy the phone on newegg. If I'm going to go the route of returning, why not buy the phone now and call back in a few days?
Also, if I return, they won't deduct that from spend?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2016, 12:30:05 PM »
Spend shouldn't be a problem (owe plenty maaser) Especially if I use card to buy the phone on newegg. If I'm going to go the route of returning, why not buy the phone now and call back in a few days?
If you didn't hit the spend yet, when you call in to see if you meet the requirements, they'll say No and you won't know if you need to activate it...

Also, they may not count the spend unless it was on a statement already.

And you cannot count the spend on the iPhone as you are returning that (it's probably clawback the 3x points as well)

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »
If you didn't hit the spend yet, when you call in to see if you meet the requirements, they'll say No and you won't know if you need to activate it...

Also, they may not count the spend unless it was on a statement already.

And you cannot count the spend on the iPhone as you are returning that (it's probably clawback the 3x points as well)
OK so a good strategy would be to spend 2k, buy phone a few days b4 expected stmt, fax receipt ASAP, call after stmt generates, right?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
OK so a good strategy would be to spend 2k, buy phone a few days b4 expected stmt, fax receipt ASAP, call after stmt generates, right?

I would try that

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »
I would try that
OK. Thank you very much.

Offline deltastubs

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »
Credit posted right away for me after bugging them credit is there card open for 15 days exactly...in case yall want to cancel fast, return phone or what not

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »
Credit posted right away for me after bugging them credit is there card open for 15 days exactly...in case yall want to cancel fast, return phone or what not
How did you buy the phone?
Brick and mortar with receipt?

Usually the credit posts the next statement, how did you get it earlier?

Offline deltastubs

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2016, 03:32:20 PM »
In store purchase

My bad was less mar 29 i opened and bought phone, april 11 posted credit

Called a bunch,  before i bought, after i faxed, a few days later, all the time playing like I didn't really understand the promo, and wanted to make sure it was all alright, last night logged in and it was good

Probably flagged my account as special needs or something

I did all the spending though right away, paid it off too right away too, idk if all that helped

Offline tafastamerubaLOtafasta

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
sry rly confused. just got this card. the link is down? so i can just go into any ATT store buy it and then get the credit by faxing in paper? and then return it and might have to pay restocking fee? so no more contract needed?