Author Topic: Riots!  (Read 26033 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Riots!
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
What color are the six officers?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2015, 12:32:24 PM »
What color are the six officers?

Apparently the one charged with 2nd degree is black.  All rumors at this point.

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
What amuses/frightens me about these riots, is that you have the black community saying that they're demonstrating, because it's wrong that police pick on them, and that people say they have a stereotype of being violent.

So the way they're proving that the stereotype is wrong, is by...?

And on a more practical level, if I lived in baltimore, any kid growing up there that experiences, or sees any of this...what is their opinion of blacks going to be?

And that's not going to be based on the actions of an isolated individual, but rather on the actions of a whole community.

To me, that's frightening.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »
My kids were/are certainly frightened

Offline Menachem613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2015, 03:29:18 PM »

What amuses/frightens me about these riots, is that you have the black community saying that they're demonstrating, because it's wrong that police pick on them, and that people say they have a stereotype of being violent.

And on a more practical level, if I lived in baltimore, any kid growing up there that experiences, or sees any of this...what is their opinion of blacks going to be?

And that's not going to be based on the actions of an isolated individual, but rather on the actions of a whole community.

To me, that's frightening.

You have it wrong. They are demonstrating because the police are not following the law they have sworn to uphold.

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
You have it wrong. They are demonstrating because the police are not following the law they have sworn to uphold.

Ah...so you're saying this had nothing to do with the fact that they were being judged unfairly, it's a matter of principle. They would be just as incensed if the police had been profiling other racial or ethnic groups. Heck, they would have been just as angry if policemen had been speeding, because after all, that's breaking the law they've sworn to uphold!

Seriously?

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »

Ah...so you're saying this had nothing to do with the fact that they were being judged unfairly, it's a matter of principle. They would be just as incensed if the police had been profiling other racial or ethnic groups. Heck, they would have been just as angry if policemen had been speeding, because after all, that's breaking the law they've sworn to uphold!

Seriously?

The breaking of law caused his spine to be broken.  That's reason enough to be upset in my book.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »

They are not protesting because people say "they have a stereotype of being violent". The way you asked the question is very interesting. It is like asking someone how many times you beat your wife each week.

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
My kids were/are certainly frightened
well maybe the community should do more to keep their kids home....
white guy on left is wearing a yarmulke....

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »
The breaking of law caused his spine to be broken.  That's reason enough to be upset in my book.

I agree it's reason to be upset. But I think you'll agree that it's not why they're...ah..."demonstrating."

They are not protesting because people say "they have a stereotype of being violent". The way you asked the question is very interesting. It is like asking someone how many times you beat your wife each week.

It's not a question of what people say. If you feel that there's a different reason for them rioting, please clarify. In my opinion, the riots, the anger are because they see themselves unfairly targeted. Right? They feel that it's wrong for police to assume that the average black person is a criminal, or violent, or dangerous. The police should treat them the same way they treat all other races.

The underlying idea behind the justice of this is that essentially, the black community is NOT a violent, dangerous, criminal group.

Do you disagree?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »
I agree it's reason to be upset. But I think you'll agree that it's not why they're...ah..."demonstrating."

It's not a question of what people say. If you feel that there's a different reason for them rioting, please clarify. In my opinion, the riots, the anger are because they see themselves unfairly targeted. Right? They feel that it's wrong for police to assume that the average black person is a criminal, or violent, or dangerous. The police should treat them the same way they treat all other races.

The underlying idea behind the justice of this is that essentially, the black community is NOT a violent, dangerous, criminal group.

Do you disagree?
Again you are trying to word it as "how many times you beat your wife". They are protesting because they are being targeted because they are black, PERIOD! When they see a black person being shot multiple times in the back when running away what should they think.

If you want to make the argument that they should be targeted because you feel they are animals that is a different issue.

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2015, 05:00:15 PM »
Again you are trying to word it as "how many times you beat your wife". They are protesting because they are being targeted because they are black, PERIOD! When they see a black person being shot multiple times in the back when running away what should they think.

If you want to make the argument that they should be targeted because you feel they are animals that is a different issue.

When has that happened (I mean, really happened, not what was claimed happened)?

No, I'm not trying to word anything - being "targeted" can mean all kinds of things - for exampe, lots of people here are happy if they get targeted for a credit card offer.

They're angry because they feel they are being treated differently, in a negative way. Now, even if it's unfair, there are 2 options for why it would happen - 1)  police like hurting/killing black people, or 2) black people are seen as more of a threat, so the police respond differently.

In the eyes of the black community, which do you think is accurate?

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »
When has that happened (I mean, really happened, not what was claimed happened)?

No, I'm not trying to word anything - being "targeted" can mean all kinds of things - for exampe, lots of people here are happy if they get targeted for a credit card offer.

They're angry because they feel they are being treated differently, in a negative way. Now, even if it's unfair, there are 2 options for why it would happen - 1)  police like hurting/killing black people, or 2) black people are seen as more of a threat, so the police respond differently.

Short memory?

http://nypost.com/2015/04/08/cop-who-shot-black-man-in-back-fired/

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2015, 05:06:06 PM »
You want to try and defend this one?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »

Blacks are being stopped, harassed or arrested based on their color. This is illegal. This is what they are protesting about. How much clearer can I make my point. You might not agree with me but stop trying to confuse the issue I am talking about.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
Blacks are being stopped, harassed or arrested based on their color. This is illegal. This is what they are protesting about. How much clearer can I make my point. You might not agree with me but stop trying to confuse the issue I am talking about.

How would you "fix" this alleged problem if you were the Mayor or Commissioner?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2015, 06:00:11 PM »
How would you "fix" this alleged problem if you were the Mayor or Commissioner?

If it was such a simple problem to "fix" we wouldn't have all this rioting...

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »

I'm not going to take sides in this conversation, but in answer to your question;

source

This is where I saw the study, I've never looked at the original.
Tnx a million I looked for this report yesterday over an hour!
I heard of it and just couldn't find it.
Tnx!

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2015, 07:29:59 PM »
Are they crazy??!
Seriously 2nd degree??

Offline efflpetzel