Author Topic: Random airline-questions.  (Read 102629 times)

Online lubaby

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
Re: Random airline-questions.
« Reply #1650 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
I had 2 one way tickets booked on American through ba last week, the first leg was cancelled due to the storm. What is the airlines obligation as to refund the return ticket (which I obviously missed). Whom should I contact BA OR AA?
When is / was the return? Things get more complicated once you're a no-show (regardless of reason).
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 09, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »
When is / was the return? Things get more complicated once you're a no-show (regardless of reason).
If it was two one ways, there shouldn't be a no show issue.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 09, 2018, 04:03:22 PM »
If it was two one ways, there shouldn't be a no show issue.
Exactly my point / question. He should've cancelled that segment he knew he was missing (since he didn't fly THERE), his post doesn't imply that he did..

If the return ticket passed already, why didn't you cancel before return flight time (so that you wouldn't be a no show)? If it didn't yet pass, call to cancel it and ask for a fee waiver..

Not saying it can't be done now, just that it's easier to get them to do something like this proactively..

Offline Emgee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 10, 2018, 12:23:21 AM »
Exactly my point / question. He should've cancelled that segment he knew he was missing (since he didn't fly THERE), his post doesn't imply that he did..

If the return ticket passed already, why didn't you cancel before return flight time (so that you wouldn't be a no show)? If it didn't yet pass, call to cancel it and ask for a fee waiver..

Not saying it can't be done now, just that it's easier to get them to do something like this proactively..
Yes I did cancel it before the second segment (which already passed).

Offline Emgee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 10, 2018, 03:20:37 PM »
I had 2 one way tickets booked on American through ba last week, the first leg was cancelled due to the storm. What is the airlines obligation as to refund the return ticket (which I obviously missed). Whom should I contact BA OR AA?
OK This sucks. after waiting almost an hour on the phone for an agent all they had to say is "sorry for the inconvenience we won't refund for the second segment". Anything else I can do at this point, I mean this doesn't make sense, they were the ones who canceled my first flight don't they have some sort of responsibility to refund my flight back? (I understand that technically speaking it was 2 separate reservations, but I think any normal person with a little common sense would agree with me)

Dan often encourages to do 2 o/w, doesn't that create massive headaches such as this one?

Online a good yeshiva bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 10, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
OK This sucks. after waiting almost an hour on the phone for an agent all they had to say is "sorry for the inconvenience we won't refund for the second segment". Anything else I can do at this point, I mean this doesn't make sense, they were the ones who canceled my first flight don't they have some sort of responsibility to refund my flight back? (I understand that technically speaking it was 2 separate reservations, but I think any normal person with a little common sense would agree with me)

Dan often encourages to do 2 o/w, doesn't that create massive headaches such as this one?
Why donít you Ask them to at least rebook you for a later date and then call later to cancel?

Offline Emgee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 10, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
Why donít you Ask them to at least rebook you for a later date and then call later to cancel?
Can i still do that? even though i have canceled that flight and the date has passed?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:51:06 PM by Emgee »

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »

The reason Dan says to book as two one ways is for precisely this reason, if something happens to the first flight, you have no problems changing our canceling the second flight. In this case, it seems like you just messed up and didn't cancel your return even though it was a separate flight.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 10, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
Can i still do that? even though i have canceled that flight and the date has passed?
It's definitely worth a shot, if you can get them to rebook you, you should be able to cancel after.

Offline Emgee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 11, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
The reason Dan says to book as two one ways is for precisely this reason, if something happens to the first flight, you have no problems changing our canceling the second flight. In this case, it seems like you just messed up and didn't cancel your return even though it was a separate flight.
Wrong! I did cancel but it was within 24hr of departure so they refuse to refund. I see it the other way around. When you book RT, if they cancel your first segment they are now obligated to refund the second segment no questions asked...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:06:33 PM by Emgee »

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: January 11, 2018, 12:30:02 PM »
Wrong! I did cancel but it was within 24hr of departure so they refuse to refund. I see it the other way around. When you book RT, if they cancel your first segment they are now obligated to refund the second segment no questions asked...
Your two flights were within 24 hrs of each other?

Online lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: January 11, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »
The benefit of booking 2 separate one ways is for you to be able to only cancel one way if your plans change (say you decide to stay for a few extra days at your destination)..

Offline Emgee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: January 11, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »
Your two flights were within 24 hrs of each other?
No, but there was a Shabbos in the middle. I basically had a very short period on Friday afternoon to get it done, You get the point...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:22:54 PM by Emgee »

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #1663 on: January 11, 2018, 01:40:42 PM »
if i paid for same day confirmed flight change $75, and flight was cancelled, will i get refunded automatically? AA domestic.
"It should be automatic, but better to call and request it
T h a n k s !

Offline shloim4334

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »
Hi,
My friend is thinking about flying from Israel to USA with Emirates thru ATH or MXP. From ATH they fly with a 777, and from MXP with the A380. Which one is better (in economy)?
Thanks