Author Topic: A trip to the magical Down Under: ZCN's trip report to Australia and New Zealand  (Read 15049 times)

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Hilton Cairns

View from our balcony of the bay

Coral at Hastings Reef

Our boat at Hasting's Reef. Note the waves.

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
With about two hours to go until Shabbos we began we set up the food we had gotten from Katzy’s onto our hot plate. The night before we had walked to Target which is located in a mall that is a 10 minute walk from the Hilton. At Target we brought a hot plate which we were planning on using for Shabbos.

Shabbos at the Hilton was very nice. The food from Katzy's was delicious and very filling and we spent an enjoyable and relaxing Shabbos. We made good use of our balcony, and on Shabbos afternoon we left the hotel and went downstairs for a walk along the bay. We even saw a cruise ship that had docked and was about to leave, however they did not allow us on board to explore the boat for security reasons. After returning from our walk we needed the hotel to open the door to our room. Before Shabbos we had spoken to the front desk to make sure that we could use the stairs to go up and down. They told us that you can go down the stairs however the doors to the floors in the staircase are locked and so they needed to open the door for our floor in order for us to use it. We found the staff to be very helpful and they helped us open our door without any problems.

This hotel has a lounge which we were able to use given our elite status.  We ended up going to the lounge after Shabbos was over to get some beer for Havdalah. The lounge is a pretty nice area although it is small, and while they don't have any kosher food they do give out free drinks and beer.

The following day we packed up and got ready to go to the airport for our 1:00PM flight down to Sydney. When I was planning our trip I was considering doing a quick trip to Kuranda, which is a nearby rain forest and village and is supposed to be very nice. There are two ways of going up to Kuranda and coming down: you can either take a train which takes about two hours each way or you can go via a cable car, which takes about 30 minutes. Keep in mind the station that the train leaves from is different than the station where the cable cars go from .Of course, you can take the train one way and the cable car the other way which is what many people do. The train ride up to Kuranda is supposed to be gorgeous, and I have seen some people say it is one of the most beautiful train rides in the world. The cable car is also supposed to be very nice. At the top is a small village in the rainforest and there are supposed to be exhibits about the rainforest there as well.

Originally we were planning on taking the 8:30AM train up to Kuranda and then take the cable car down and then go to the airport. It would have been tight on time but I think it would have been doable. However in the end we decided not to do the trip for several reasons. First the round trip cost per person is about $100, which I thought was pretty expensive. Second, the train is open air and given that we were going in the summer season spending two hours outdoors without air conditioning is not something I was looking forward to. Also, given that it was summer season it is more likely to rain and be cloudy which would take away from the scenery on both the train and the cable car.

After checking in at the airport we quickly cleared security and made our way to the Qantas business lounge. It was a nice space but nothing particularly special although they did have drinks and alcohol. We boarded our 737 and were seated in the third row of business class.

I found the seats to be really nice, made of comfortable black leather which appeared pretty new. We had some great views of the ocean on the climb out of Cairns. The flight attendants were pretty friendly and we were served a kosher meal that was decent, although I do not remember who the caterer was.

Upon landing in Sydney we took an Uber to the Radisson in downtown Sydney. In the days leading up to our trip I had tried to do several BRG claims for the Conrad Sydney, however they were all denied and so we ended up staying at the Radisson. Because of our elite status we were upgraded to a suite, however the room was just one nice large room with high ceilings. The furnishings in the room were really nice and everything was clean and updated. There was also a jacuzzi in the bathroom. The service at the hotel was nice but also a little “stuffy”. I did feel a little out of place wearing my t-shirt, as it seemed the other guests were all wearing dressier clothing.

We ended up having the hotel warm up our meal mart meals in the microwave that they have in their kitchen, as they do not provide microwaves in the room. After eating a good meal we headed out to catch the last boat of the night that was leaving Circular Qauy, as we really wanted to go for a ferry ride and see the Sydney skyline at night. We left a little late and had a brisk 10 minute walk to the ferry terminal. Thankfully, we arrived a few minutes ahead of time and we boarded the well-used and pretty empty boat for the ride across the river. We were treated to gorgeous views of the Harbor Bridge and the Opera house and the general skyline. The ferry that we were on actually makes a round trip back to Sydney so we just stayed on the boat the entire time. The boat has a little seating area in the front, as well as a larger seating area in the back, however there is only a seating area in the back on the upper deck of the boat. It started drizzling towards the end of our ride but it was no big deal. IIRC we paid $5 each for the round trip ride.

After leaving the boat we headed back to our hotel to get ready for our early start the next morning for our flight to New Zealand in Emirates First Class!

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
The next morning we woke up early and called an Uber to take us to the airport. We found the Emirates first class ticket line without any problems. As we were checking in we were informed that the inbound flight had been delayed and our departure was therefore delayed by one hour.

We also had a separate connecting ticket from Auckland to Christchurch on Air New Zealand that was booked using Singapore miles. The connection time was only an hour and 45 minutes and in order for us to have a chance to make our connecting flight I needed to have our bags tagged through the final destination, Christchurch. At first the Emirates agent told me she could not check our bags through, however after asking to speak to her manager she somehow managed to find a way to do that ;)

Emirates first class passengers are entitled to use the Qantas first class lounge, which has a reputation for being one of the best lounges in the world. Some DDF members have reported that the Qantas lounge will arrange for kosher meals to be prepared for you if you order beforehand, however I spoke to several people in the lounge, including a manager in the days leading up to our trip and I was told they no longer offer the service.

Regardless, we entered the lounge which at the entrance has a wall filled with green plants, very similar to the Amex Centurion Lounge. We took an escalator going up to the main area and we were warmly welcomed into the lounge. I found the lounge to be pretty nice but nothing spectacular. Then again, a big reason why the lounge is so highly rated is because of the food which of course we did not have.

I will say the service and professionalism of the employees in the lounge is really something special. Everyone was very warm and outgoing and if you even look like you needed help someone came over to you and politely asked you what they can do for you. We had one employee who was actually Jewish but not observant who tried to help us find something that was kosher. Unfortunately the several things that he brought us did not have any kosher markings and were not listed in the Australia kosher guide as being kosher. The lounge has a spa, however it was booked solid and we were not able to take advantage of that.

The lounge also has a couple of semi-private rooms which I was made aware of by the staff and I requested that we receive one. The room consists of a nice couch and desk with a computer, and we hung out in our room for the remaining 40 minutes or so until our flight. I also used that room to daven.

Boarding was shortly called for our flights and we made the short walk over to our gate. We were welcomed on board the upper deck of the A380. This was only our second time onboard an A380, and the last time had been about 5 years ago, so we were very excited. The first few minutes were dedicated to taking lots of pictures and exploring our seats and all the features that it comes with. It pretty much looks exactly like it is shown in so many pictures however there are a lot of details to examine.

Although it was a three hour flight I asked the fight attendants if they had any leftover pajamas from the inbound flight. They looked and were able to find a couple of pairs that they had left over which were our size, and they graciously gave them to us. The first-class cabin was mainly empty with only three other people in the cabin. One thing that I enjoyed very much was being able to use the cameras on the plane to watch what was going on. I found it interesting that when we boarded, the female crew were wearing headdresses in line with the official uniform of emirates, however once we took off they all took off their gear and looked like a regular flight attendants. The crew did not seem to be Arabic at all, in fact they seemed mainly British or Australian. The vibe on this flights seemed to be pretty relaxed, as this was a tag-on flight for them.

Shortly after takeoff we were presented with our kosher meal. The cabin crew manager came by to greet us and apologized that for some reason the hot portion of our meal was not loaded onto the airplane.

When we had boarded the plane we had made a request to use the shower about halfway through the flight. After eating breakfast we asked the fight attendant to get the shower ready for us, however there was a bit of a delay. After a few minutes the cabin manager came back to us and told us there was a malfunction with the water system. Even though they knew the tanks were full, in order for the shower to work the computer system needed to show that it was full and it was in fact showing that the tanks were empty.  Apparently, the captain can reboot the computer system and the cabin manager told me the captain had already done so two times without success.
Hearing this, I almost had a heart attack, and I asked the purser to have the captain try a third time. Thankfully the third time seemed to do the trick and we quickly rushed to take a shower before it stopped working again.

This was our first time taking a shower while flying at 40,000 feet and it is simply amazing. I remember when Lucky described the first time he showered onboard and said he could stop giggling. I had the same reaction. Unfortunately, I did not know at the time that the floors were heated but I had a great time nonetheless. Soon, before we knew it we were descending into Auckland and the crew put their headdresses back on.

After waiting some time for our luggage to come out- somehow our luggage got put in with the economy class- we headed over to customs. New Zealand is notorious for being extremely strict with bringing in food and other items. There were numerous signs in different languages in the baggage area saying that you will receive a large fine even for bringing in a banana. Right before you enter the customs area there is a big sign that says “last chance to declare or face large penalties”. We declared our food and were directed to a special side area for a more thorough examination. The agent whom we were assigned to was friendly but firm. She examined all our Meal Mart meals and said that we would be allowed to bring in our meats however all the chicken meals were not allowed and she proceeded to confiscate those meals. Everything else was fine and we had enough meals to keep us going so I wasn't worried. Having experienced both OZ and NZ customs, I would say NZ customs are more tougher, both in practice as well as the attitude that they project.

After exiting the airport we realized that our connecting flight to Christchurch had left already. We ended up booking a Hotwire stay at the local Holiday Inn, which hopefully our travel insurance will cover.

On a more technical note, our tickets was issued by Singapore Airlines using Krisflyer miles for travel on Air New Zealand. Air New Zealand refused to put us on another flight and told us we had to call Singapore. After spending some time on the phone with Singapore they told us that our tickets had been reissued, however when I called in the evening to confirm with Air New Zealand they said that no tickets had in fact been reissued. After spending a few hours with the incompetent Singapore team I got a better understanding of what was happening. Apparently Singapore was seeing open seats and was requesting X space, however ANZ did not have any X space available. Singapore would request seats but Air New Zealand would deny them and this continued again and again.

Finally, after being told by a Singapore Airlines supervisor that my ticket would be re-issued by the following morning we went to sleep. I called ANZ again early in the morning and they confirmed that in fact they had not read issued the ticket. After spending on tense moments on the phone, a supervisor at ANZ did us a favor and reissued our tickets. At this point we had 15 minutes to get to the airport to check our luggage in for our flight. We ran to the front desk and jumped in a cab, who absolutely floored it to the airport. I had no idea people can drive like that in New Zealand. We grabbed our bags from the cab and to make a long story short made the check in deadline by 1 minute. It was certainly a rushed start to our day….

Lesson from this: avoid the Singapore Krisflyer team and know what you’re getting into if you use your miles to purchase a ticket from them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:37:06 PM by ZCN »

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
great report so far, very well written

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
We boarded our Air New Zealand flight for the short trip down to Queenstown. I had been assigned an aisle seat and ended up sitting next to an elderly couple who graciously offered to switch seats with me so that I had the window seat. This was important because the views when flying into and out of Queenstown our gorgeous. This being our first Air New Zealand flight, we were really impressed by how warm and friendly everyone was, from the passengers to the flight attendants.
After about an hour we began our descent into Queenstown, and true to promise we had some amazing views on the way down.  After landing we walked into the terminal and waited just a few minutes to get our bags. One thing that was a little interesting was that we were told you cannot use your phone, including taking a picture, while on the tarmac. We ignored that rule and took a few pictures but it was interesting.

Based on the advice from DDF'ers who had rented cars in New Zealand before, we had reserved with Go rental car. We chose an older car and paid about $35 a day. Most of the people on our flight were renting cars and so the shuttle to the rental car location which is a few minute drive from the airport was full, and we had to wait about 10 minutes for the shuttle to return and pick us up. Once we got to the rental car location things went really smoothly as we were shown our car and given the GPS we had rented.

This was the second time I would be driving on the "wrong "side of the road, having previously driven a few miles while in Thailand. I was a little nervous given how little experience I had in driving on the left side of the road however everything turned out to be fine. The biggest issue for me was using the blinker which turned out to be the windshield wiper.

Right as we left the airport area we were greeted by beautiful scenery of mountains and lakes. Given that we were starting our trip late due to our missed flight the previous day we had a very busy day ahead of us. Our plan was to drive down to Milford Sound, take a two hour boat tour, and then drive back up to Queenstown. The drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound is supposed to take about 4 1/2 hours, however we were able to do it in about 3.5 hours thanks to some speeding. The speed limit on highways in New Zealand is 100 km, and we were going about 120 km for the most part throughout our trip. Keep in mind there are no real highways in New Zealand, just two lane roads that would be considered country roads in the US. Also, most of the time the roads are curvy and narrow with very little straight roads. We only saw one police car for most of our time however that would change at the end of our trip….. Also, it's worth noting that while New Zealand does have speak cameras, from the research that I did only bigger cities like Christchurch have them.

Along the way to Milford Sound we saw some beautiful scenery. From Queenstown to Te Anau the scenery was nice but nothing spectacular. However from Te Anau to Milford Sound there was some really beautiful scenery.

Finally we reached Milford Sound. Based on the advice of DDF’ers, we had booked a cruise with Mitre Peak cruises which cost NZ$82 each. The advantage of using this company is that they have smaller boats and can go closer to the mountains/shore then the bigger boats. It turned out to be more expensive taking this tour as we could have gotten cheaper tickets with other tours using a deal site, however we decided to just stick with them. We had originally booked the 4:30 PM cruise, however I had called earlier that day and they had told me that if we came earlier and they had room we could switch to the 2:30 PM cruise. We had to rush and scramble to make the cruise however we got there just in time and even got good seats at the front of the boat.

One thing to know is that it gets really cold and windy outside on the boat, even though it was about 75 degrees out. After toughing it out for about 30 minutes we gave in and went inside to the enclosed area.

The boat drives alongside one of the cliffs overlooking Milford Sound and stops along the way at different points such as waterfalls. The captain explains different things that you see and points out certain interesting sites and how they came to be. After reaching the mouth for Milford Sound which opens to the ocean the boat crosses over to the other side of the sound and then it's back towards the dock area again cruising alongside the shore of the opposite side. One thing: when crossing over to the other side by the ocean the waves get bigger and it gets a little bumpy. Thankfully it’s only a few minutes until you are in calmer waters again. Some notable sites included several waterfalls, including a small one that we went directly under, as well as a really heavy one that we went under as well. By the bigger one, everyone went inside the boat, as the captain warned us we would get soaked if we were outside. We also got to see some seals tanning themselves on some rocks.

In short, the cruise was very enjoyable and the crew was very helpful and informative, however I didn't feel that this cruise offered more value when compared to the bigger boats. Given that you can get cheaper deals on the other boats, if I were to go again I would go with the other tours.
One thing that I should note is that the cruise offers tea and water.

Now as far as Milford Sound is concerned..... Well before I start talking about it you need to see some pictures

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
(The white stuff you see are clouds :D)

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
So here's the deal about Milford Sound: I have been to 25+ countries including some very scenic ones like Switzerland, France, Italy, the Canadian Rockies, and the American Rockies. I have seen some truly beautiful places, but Milford Sound simply blew me away. For now, Milford Sound is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

People often ask what makes a certain place so beautiful. While is hard to explain beauty I think I can try to help people understand what it is about Milford Sound that is so magical. First there is the geography. Milford Sound is a bay that is surrounded by very tall mountains and most importantly the mountains are vertical, meaning they tower over you. In addition, the mountains are full of green and have countless waterfalls splashing down from them, most of them falling straight into the Sound. The mountains themselves are gorgeous, rising and falling. Add in the low clouds that hang over some of the mountains and you have a jaw-dropping scenic place. As we were cruising along I found myself humming to myself, which is pretty usual for me. It’s the kind of place that inspires you, lifts you up, changes you, and gives you a different perspective on life.

I will add in one disclaimer: as you can tell from my pictures, we had a beautiful sunny day which is unusual for Milford Sound where it rains often. I'm not sure how scenic it would look if it were raining.

More pics to come....

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
thanks for posting, beautiful pictures!

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Wow extremely detailed tr!
Appreciate for all the work

Offline jmcoughlin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Is it worth the money to do a coach bus to Milford sound from queenstown.  do a cruise, and then take a scenic flight back?
or should we use our rental car and drive ourselves there and back. or do the tour-bus both ways?

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Wow just got around to reading this. Great TR!

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
Is it worth the money to do a coach bus to Milford sound from queenstown.  do a cruise, and then take a scenic flight back?
or should we use our rental car and drive ourselves there and back. or do the tour-bus both ways?

Hard for me to answer because I only drove. I would say that if you fly you are missing out on all the stops along the way, especially if you like hiking and exploring.

Offline jmcoughlin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
And you drove both ways?

I guess the best option would be to drive on a bus one way and take a scenic flight back - Air Milford offers this type of ride.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Definitely would not skip the drive into Milford. Gorgeous drive.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jmcoughlin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Ok.  We are booked for the coach drive/cruise/ and flight for milford sound.  any suggestions for the glacier tour or should we do something else the other two days in queenstown?

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Wow! I just found this TR. Really well written, very informative, and nicely done. I know what you mean when you say you kept turning on the wipers instead of signalling. I had the reverse problem once I got back to the US, too.  :D

Looking forward to the rest of the TR and hopefully a lot more pics.

Offline shimshieT

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Very nice TR, Thanks ZCN ! Going in December, Looking forward.
Read, earn, churn, travel & repeat. Never stop :)

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
Great TR! Thank you for all the information. What sources did you use to decide where to go in Cairns as opposed to other places in Queensland and also how did you find which companies to use for snorkeling?

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
Great TR! Thank you for all the information. What sources did you use to decide where to go in Cairns as opposed to other places in Queensland and also how did you find which companies to use for snorkeling?

Thanks. I mainly used Tripadvisor, as well as the forums on Fodor and Lonleyplant.

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks. I mainly used Tripadvisor, as well as the forums on Fodor and Lonleyplant.

Any plans on continuing the TR? ;D