Author Topic: Affordable driving school in NYC or around?  (Read 5317 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Affordable driving school in NYC or around?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
This thread is a little outdated.

My son just got his permit. I don't think I am capable of teaching him. Looking for a good school/instructor that will give him lessons to make him pass his driving test and be a good, safe driver. Please post any recommendations you have (Brooklyn).

Anyone use http://www.fuziondrivingschool.com/lessons-5-hr-class-and-road-test-c1uy3 ?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:20:29 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »

My son just got his permit. I don't think I am capable of teaching him. Looking for a good school/instructor that will give him lessons to make him pass his driving test and be a good, safe driver. Please post any recommendations you have (Brooklyn).
Mr. Hughes (CH) contact info I have is 646-479-1666.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »

Anyone use http://www.fuziondrivingschool.com/lessons-5-hr-class-and-road-test-c1uy3 ?

if prestige auto school (CH, nostrand ave) still has ron working there, ask for him

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »

I highly recommend Shmuli Fruchter of Power Auto School. (347) 881-3122
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »

You are essentially contradicting yourself in one sentence (for the most part). Usually driving schools are divided into two classes:
A. Those who don't quite care about how an animal you'll be driving later in life, so long as you pass the test. They teach you the tricks and techniques, and the rest of the time they sit in the seat near you spending their time on Whatsapp etc.
B. Those who are there to turn you into a safe driver, for your own sake and others'. They spend the time correcting you and giving you helpful tips, and all along the way they focus only on you. Usually in this process you develop the habit of being a courteous driver too.
Though there are some exceptions to this categorization, for the most part you choose one or the other. I'm glad I learned by an instructor from category B.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
so question for @gozalim @lubaby and @Sam Finkelstein, which of @Work-for-ur-muny's categories for driving instructors do your recommendations fall into?
-- Dan

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »
so question for @gozalim @lubaby and @Sam Finkelstein, which of @Work-for-ur-muny's categories for driving instructors do your recommendations fall into?
not A. because he spent his time teaching
did 'teach to the test' but not exclusively

also, bear in mind, the NY test is a bit more aggressive than some other places in the US, so teaching to the test isn't as hands-off as in, say, FL or OH

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
not A. because he spent his time teaching
did 'teach to the test' but not exclusively

also, bear in mind, the NY test is a bit more aggressive than some other places in the US, so teaching to the test isn't as hands-off as in, say, FL or OH
His first focus is on A, passing the test. Once you pass the test, he can teach you how to properly drive (also from the student standpoint, the test is a "scary" thing, so once you've passed that, you're able to relax more and actually learn).
But as you say, in NYC, passing the test is much harder then other places, so you learn quite a lot just from that.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »

I did extremely poorly on my first test after going out with a B guy. Even though everyone thought I was driving at a passing level, I was not fluent in basic things which they check for obsessively on the test, like hand-over-hand, parallel parking in 3 steps, observing, lanes, right-of-way, etc. Looking back, the place probably wanted to milk another few lessons out of me.

After that experience, I hired the place in Brooklyn which taught exclusively to the test. He charged $50 an hour, and after about 8 lessons I took the test and passed it. That's your priority for now. As a parent, you can always make sure he takes more lessons.

In my humble opinion, good and disciplined driving comes through practice more than teaching.. But it's all useless without a license. Once that happens, common sense should dictate how to drive more than the fanciest driving school. (And they do encourage you to stay with them for one or two lessons for general driving, including highways.)

Oh, and once you fail once, you can get so nervous on subsequent tests passsing will get even harder. It's so not worth it. Trust me, I was there.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
Mr. Hughes (CH) contact info I have is 646-479-1666.
I let my son learn with him. Not the best experience. Bad communications as far as scheduling, expectations, etc. etc.

I didn't like how he called two days ago saying that he managed to schedule a road test two days later but we needed to pay $100 for that, as scheduling it through regular channels would take much longer. Unfortunately, no way (that I found) to check road test appointment availability while one is scheduled. My son ended up canceling that one, and booked one on his own for two weeks later.
-- Dan

Offline Yeah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »
Try Follman driving school 1-718-916-9633 used him (the boro park guy) and really learned how to drive (and pass the test).

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »
Try Follman driving school 1-718-916-9633 used him (the boro park guy) and really learned how to drive (and pass the test).

What does he charge?
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline Yeah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
What does he charge?

I don't know as i recently saw he changed around a little bit.

you could always give a call the number i posted (it's a office) and ask.