Topic Wiki

Rule # 1- Read the WIKI!!
Click the "+" symbol above the first post on the page, where it says "previous next".
« Last edited by yuneeq on June 22, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »

Author Topic: Navigating DDF  (Read 30282 times)

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
Re: Navigating DDF
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
How can I 'unfollow' a certain thread on the "show new replies to your posts" option.

"Mark as read" just makes it not show up until someone else replies - not very useful.
"ignore" means that even if in the future i want to follow it I will have to undo it - annoying.

e.g. because i once posted something in the "fuel surcharge" master thread, it shows up every time i look at new posts. At the moment I have nothing to add to that thread but i don't want  to ignore it because in the future i may want to follow it...

I wish there was this option. For instance, there could be a hot deal that somebody posts in that thread, that if you kept seeing activity there, you would open to see what was going on. Doing what TimT says, you would miss it.
T h a n k s !

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:57 AM »
How would it be possible for the thread to not show up but then show up when someone posts a good deal or just because you decided (in your mind) you now want to follow it again ?

(When you see the thread title & "new", there's no way to know if there's a great deal going on or just a lot of "I got mine" "still waiting" "did anyone get theirs" "+1".)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:34:14 AM by TimT »

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
How would it be possible for the thread to not show up but then show up when someone posts a good deal or just because you decided (in your mind) you now want to follow it again ?

(When you see the thread title & "new", there's no way to know if there's a great deal going on or just a lot of "I got mine" "still waiting" "did anyone get theirs" "+1".)
It would be great if anyone was able to moderate the title even after three hours, so someone can update it if its alive or dead.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »
It would be great if anyone was able to moderate the title even after three hours, so someone can update it if its alive or dead.
But if its not gonna show up in "new replies" then you wouldn't really know what the title currently says.

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
I wish there was this option. For instance, there could be a hot deal that somebody posts in that thread, that if you kept seeing activity there, you would open to see what was going on. Doing what TimT says, you would miss it.

Heres the idea.
When you are actively following a deal, and you posted there, you can quickly see new activity in your 'new replies' link. Eventually, this becomes irrelevent, so you tire of following it (closely).

Other deals, you just happen upon, like the thread title catches your attention. Why should a topic that you once posted in get less of a chance for you to see, than a new topic, or a topic you never posted in.

For example, suppose I have an issue with Uber. So i post my question in the Uber thread. I see whats going on, get some replies, and issue gets resolved. Now what should i do? I am interested in perhaps helping others who may have issues with Uber, and I certainly want to be informed if there is some deal or quirk that is posted there. But I dont want it to show in 'new replies' tab. That is reserved for active issues that I have that I am very involved in. But if I ignore it, i will lose visibility of it.

I'm not sure if thats eliraps's issue, but I think that it is, and it is mine as well.
T h a n k s !

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »
Where would you want it to be if not in "new replies" ? And how else, other than opening the thread every 10 seconds, would you know if the new post is a good deal or something irrelevant ?

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:12 PM »
If it falls to page two, there nothing too great in it, but if its within the top 10 posts for a day or two, somethings hopping in it.
(See the OP, #4)
T h a n k s !

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »
The current OP doesn't want it in his "replies" page. The other option would be to constantly open the different boards to see which threads are at the top. I'll do that every now and then as many threads won't even show up in "show unread posts".

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
When you join, or when you mark all threads as read(which I do from time to time), then all threads on all boards will come up in the unread threads, and you dont have to open each board individually.

Except for ignored threads...
T h a n k s !

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
Maybe there should be a way to mark a thread as Favorite or Bookmarked or something, and you can check that list more often. Then when you lose interest you can unfavorite that thread.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
Best plan for the OP is to just "mark selected read". I personally have pages of "new replies" that I ignore without "ignoring". When I get in the mood I'll read through specific ones. Or if it suddenly shoots to the top & stays there .(example: take a spin with SPG game :) )

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
Maybe there should be a way to mark a thread as Favorite or Bookmarked or something, and you can check that list more often. Then when you lose interest you can unfavorite that thread.
A "show favorite" option sounds like a good idea.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »
Best plan for the OP is to just "mark selected read". I personally have pages of "new replies" that I ignore without "ignoring". When I get in the mood I'll read through specific ones. Or if it suddenly shoots to the top & stays there .(example: take a spin with SPG game :) )
That's what I do. It's not ideal, but it works.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »
A "show favorite" option sounds like a good idea.
Now how long 'til yesitsme will give us a link for a way for Dan to set it up :)

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »
Now how long 'til yesitsme will give us a link for a way for Dan to set it up :)
He's been awol for a while.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:14:23 PM by TimT »